Does God want America to become a Mormon country?

Page 2 of 12 [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Does God want America to become a Mormon country?
Hell, YES! And I'm voting for Romney! 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
Heavens, NO! And I'm voting for a nominal Christian! 26%  26%  [ 14 ]
God doesn't give a damn what happens to America 64%  64%  [ 34 ]
Total votes : 53

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Oct 2012, 2:27 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Taverson wrote:
Mormonism is just a Christian denomination.

:roll:

Not exactly.

They deviate from normal christianity enough (principly by adding a whole third book to the bible) that they are not regarded by the rest of Chirstendom ( or even by nonchristians) as "just another christian sect". theyre put in a class by themselves.

The Bible is waaaaaaaaaaaay more than two books long.

I imagine most Christians would class Mormons as Christians, because they, you know, believe Christ to be the only begotten son of God.

Taverson
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Oct 2012, 2:31 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Taverson wrote:

Not exactly.

They deviate from normal christianity enough (principly by adding a whole third book to the bible) that they are not regarded by the rest of Chirstendom ( or even by nonchristians) as "just another christian sect". theyre put in a class by themselves.

I imagine most Christians would class Mormons as Christians, because they, you know, believe Christ to be the only begotten son of God.

I just figured he meant the Old and New Testaments lol.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 2:39 pm

Dear Taverson,
My family was from Boone Co Ark,there is a monument to the victims on the court house lawn.I have a relative's name on that monument.You can read what Wikipedia has to say on the subject. No,people should not be judged on the past.But I was in a group home once ,the house parents were Mormon.They were nice people but they did try REALLY hard to convert us kids over to their religious beliefs.

Last edited by Misslizard on 05 Oct 2012, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 2:55 pm

Which god?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Taverson
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Oct 2012, 3:28 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Dear Taverson,
My family was from Boone Co Ark,there is a monument to the victims on the court house lawn.I have a relative's name on that monument.You can read what Wikipedia has to say on the subject. No,people should not be judged on the past.But I was in a group home once ,the house parents were Mormon.They were nice people but they did try REALLY hard to convert us kids over to their religious beliefs.

If you're passionate about something, would you hold back? I hate being witnessed to by anyone, but I can't fault a person for trying to share their passions.

You wouldn't think less of a person who played guitar whenever possible, even if he played music the people around him didn't like.

You wouldn't think less of a person who loved movies, and always talked about the ones you didn't like.

Only a poser and/or coward would claim to be passionate about something and keep it bottled up inside.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 3:52 pm

I have no problem with people burning with passion for their beliefs,that's great if it's directed right.They went a little overboard.We were all wards of the state,in a group home.We were forced to read religious articles that were of the Mormon faith.I would find it just as inapproiate if they were Hare Krishna or Catholic.They were just a little too zealous in trying to convert us.That was my only problem with them,I do think they really cared about us kids,they were never cruel and they did feed us well and fair in their discipline.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 4:05 pm

I doubt we'd become a Mormon country anymore than we're on our way to becoming a black nationalist/Muslim/atheist country under Obama.
I'm still not going to vote for Romney, regardless.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 4:11 pm

God is not real and even if he is he wouldn't care what happens were only here for his entertainment.When he's bored hell just make a natural disaster and relish in the deaths of thousands and laugh at the rest paniking in fear, its his way of being mysterious.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Last edited by AspieOtaku on 05 Oct 2012, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 4:31 pm

Taverson wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Taverson wrote:

Not exactly.

I just figured he meant the Old and New Testaments lol.

This.
The book of mormon is a whole third testament.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 5:39 pm

if Romney wins, I think God will facepalm.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 5:41 pm

Taverson wrote:
Mountain Meadows Massacre = people not apart of the church.

I'm pretty sure the Mountain Meadows Massacre happened under the presidency and sanction of Brigham Young, the same president that modern mainstream Mormons laud as 'one of their own'?

Heck even the university in Salt Lake is named after him.

Visha9000
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2012, 6:13 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Taverson wrote:

I'm pretty sure the Mountain Meadows Massacre happened under the presidency and sanction of Brigham Young, the same president that modern mainstream Mormons laud as 'one of their own'?

He told the people to leave them alone. The iron brigade actect of their own accord and against the directives of the profet brigham young. He even sent a letter to them saying to let them go peacefuly. Please do your research before claiming thing about the LDS people.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 6:26 pm

Visha9000 wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Taverson wrote:

He told the people to leave them alone. The iron brigade actect of their own accord and against the directives of the profet brigham young. He even sent a letter to them saying to let them go peacefuly. Please do your research before claiming thing about the LDS people.

I am a member of the church.

Albeit half hearted, but a member nonetheless. My wife and I (she is a returned missionary) watched a documentary about the events surrounding the MMM. It would appear that Young did indeed sanction the killings. Suffice to say my wife was shocked.

Visha9000
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2012, 6:31 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Visha9000 wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Taverson wrote:

Albeit half hearted, but a member nonetheless. My wife and I (she is a returned missionary) watched a documentary about the events surrounding the MMM. It would appear that Young did indeed sanction the killings. Suffice to say my wife was shocked.

The docmentiry was wrong. Simple as that.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 6:42 pm

Visha9000 wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Visha9000 wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Taverson wrote:

dp you have any objectively verifiable evidence?

did the documentary?

without looking at either it would be impossible to tell, one thing is for certain nothing, at all, anywhere in the world, is ever simple as that,
simple as that is the excuse of people that either wont bother or can procure the evidence to support their own arguments.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Visha9000
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2012, 7:02 pm

Oodain wrote:
Visha9000 wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Visha9000 wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Taverson wrote:

dp you have any objectively verifiable evidence?

did the documentary?

without looking at either it would be impossible to tell, one thing is for certain nothing, at all, anywhere in the world, is ever simple as that,
simple as that is the excuse of people that either wont bother or can procure the evidence to support their own arguments.

in Young's only known correspondence prior to the massacre, he told the Church leaders in Cedar City:
In regard to emigration trains passing through our settlements, we must not interfere with them until they are first notified to keep away. You must not meddle with them. The Indians we expect will do as they please but you should try and preserve good feelings with them. There are no other trains going south that I know of[.] [I]f those who are there will leave let them go in peace.

A modern forensic assessment of a key affidavit, purportedly given by William Edwards in 1924, has complicated the debate on complicity of senior Mormon leadership in the Mountain Meadows massacre.[68] Analysis indicates that Edwards's signature may have been traced and that the typeset belonged to a typewriter manufactured in the 1950s. The Utah State Historical Society, who maintains the document in its archives, acknowledges a possible connection to Mark Hofmann, a convicted forger and extortionist, via go-between Lyn Jacobs who provided the society with the document.

I lot of people lied to deface the curch.