Page 5 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 7:57 pm

Tensu wrote:
enrico_dandolo wrote:
but the war was won by the Soviet Union all the same.

Say you were playing a multiplayer video game with some friends and were on the last boss. You all agreed to, by some tech, bring the boss down to 1hp and then all hit him at once, to share the glory. But one of your friends is a d*** and breaks the plan and delivers the final blow before anyone else can so he can brag about how he beat the boss all on his own.

That's pretty much what the soviet union did in WWII.

No.

1- Stalin wanted the Western Allies to open a second front sooner than they did. Nothing was done until 1944, unless you count the useless and murderous bombing campaigns, undecisive antisubmarine warfare and a Mediterranean front which, propaganda aside, drew almost no real attention.
2- 80% (or thereabouts) of German troops were on the Eastern Front.
3- The decisive event in 1944 is Bagration, not Overlord.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 8:02 pm

xenon13 wrote:
"The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naive and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who loves his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair."--- H.L. Mencken

Depends on the type of radical. Some of them really do just hate their country and want to turn it into something quite sinister.

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 8:16 pm

Tequila wrote:
xenon13 wrote:
"The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naive and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who loves his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair."--- H.L. Mencken

Depends on the type of radical. Some of them really do just hate their country and want to turn it into something quite sinister.

You may find it sinister. They don't.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 8:32 pm

It was the Soviets who did the most to defeat the Nazis.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 9:05 pm

enrico_dandolo wrote:
Tensu wrote:
enrico_dandolo wrote:
but the war was won by the Soviet Union all the same.

Say you were playing a multiplayer video game with some friends and were on the last boss. You all agreed to, by some tech, bring the boss down to 1hp and then all hit him at once, to share the glory. But one of your friends is a d*** and breaks the plan and delivers the final blow before anyone else can so he can brag about how he beat the boss all on his own.

That's pretty much what the soviet union did in WWII.

No.

1- Stalin wanted the Western Allies to open a second front sooner than they did. Nothing was done until 1944, unless you count the useless and murderous bombing campaigns, undecisive antisubmarine warfare and a Mediterranean front which, propaganda aside, drew almost no real attention.
2- 80% (or thereabouts) of German troops were on the Eastern Front.
3- The decisive event in 1944 is Bagration, not Overlord.

I agree with you for the most part. The USSR had a higher toll in terms of blood spilled than most of the other Allies put together. However, much of that comes down to Stalin being an inept leader. He didn't even want to believe the Germans were invading when they had boots on the ground! Had he been more prepared, it is possible that far fewer Soviet citizens would have died than did. The Soviet Union eventually won for a few reasons. One of them is the weather, another is the T-34 tank yet another is the lack of a German long range strategic bomber and the final one is that they were most able to absorb a war of attrition. The Germans could not reach beyond the Urals with any of their aircraft because their whole strategy was based solely on close ground support. Thus, all the Soviets had to do was move production over the Urals and continue unimpeded. Also, Stalin was like Hitler in that he cared little for anyone but himself. Thus, if 20 million Soviet citizens were to die to keep him in power, so be it. There were plenty of people to run through and plenty of land to fall back on. It wasn't a genius strategy by any means, but Stalin knew he had the ability to absorb far more damage than Germany did.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 9:28 pm

I plan to leave it.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 11:11 pm

Gazelle wrote:
There is a reason behind military training and it is called discipline and to be able to follow orders in a combat situation, etc.

I admire anyone willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for their country and I am proud to be from a country where the military is an all volunteer force.

As the famous saying goes:
Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.

I have heard this quote. I agree to a certain extent. I've been told by the airlines that one must put an oxygen mask on himself before putting it on someone else. If one can't do for oneself or does not know how, how can one do for anyone else including his country?

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2012, 12:16 am

1000Knives wrote:
I plan to leave it.
one way flight to Japan?

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2012, 1:01 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
I plan to leave it.
one way flight to Japan?

Uh, it's looking that way. Surprisingly, if you don't wanna live in a city, Japan is dirt cheap for housing. My original plan was to live in a Northern state here, like Vermont or Maine, and I might own some property here just to have a place to crash (probably an offgrid trailer on some land) if I have to come back here, but Japan has the same type of housing prices in it's cold Northern areas in the mountains with no people as USA does in it's same areas, so I figure it'd be a good idea. Also, there's some incentive by local prefectures to get people moving back into depopulated areas, due to everyone moving to illustrious Tokyo, so it's even possible I could live in Japan for free if I agree to stay in said depopulated area.

Then I can own a Nissan Skyline and a bunch of airsoft guns and eat a bunch of fish.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2012, 1:34 am

1000Knives wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
I plan to leave it.
one way flight to Japan?

Uh, it's looking that way. Surprisingly, if you don't wanna live in a city, Japan is dirt cheap for housing. My original plan was to live in a Northern state here, like Vermont or Maine, and I might own some property here just to have a place to crash (probably an offgrid trailer on some land) if I have to come back here, but Japan has the same type of housing prices in it's cold Northern areas in the mountains with no people as USA does in it's same areas, so I figure it'd be a good idea. Also, there's some incentive by local prefectures to get people moving back into depopulated areas, due to everyone moving to illustrious Tokyo, so it's even possible I could live in Japan for free if I agree to stay in said depopulated area.

Then I can own a Nissan Skyline and a bunch of airsoft guns and eat a bunch of fish.

Even better, you won't need any lights! It's so radioactive that the Cherenkov radiation will give everything a nice, warm blue glow. [/sarcasm]

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2012, 2:04 am

outofplace wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
I plan to leave it.
one way flight to Japan?

Even better, you won't need any lights! It's so radioactive that the Cherenkov radiation will give everything a nice, warm blue glow. [/sarcasm]

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2012, 6:31 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
Gazelle wrote:
There is a reason behind military training and it is called discipline and to be able to follow orders in a combat situation, etc.

I admire anyone willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for their country and I am proud to be from a country where the military is an all volunteer force.

As the famous saying goes:
Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.

I have heard this quote. I agree to a certain extent. I've been told by the airlines that one must put an oxygen mask on himself before putting it on someone else. If one can't do for oneself or does not know how, how can one do for anyone else including his country?

That is a good point someone who is able to help is country should try to help his country. This will help since those who can not or are unable to help their country can be helped.

When I looked online about McDonalds in a foreign country it said the theory states that two countries who each have a McDonald's will not go to war with each other. That is the theory anyway.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2012, 6:48 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:

I would have to ask this of you Fnord. How were you able to keep up in basic training? How did you keep up with the military drills they had you do? Didn't you have to coordinate yourself with the rest of your squad? How were you able to coordinate yourself and do everything at the same time as the rest of your squad? If you were out of sync were you screamed at and how did you deal with that? Did you ever miss orders or only understood part of your commanding officer's orders because of some sound or chaos? Did this occur frequently? How did you overcome it? Did you ever have meltdowns in the military? Were you ever disciplined by your superiors for various things and offenses? What was your final rank and position when you got out? What were you discharged for? Did you lead a squad on your own? How were you able to pull that off? Were you ever in a high combat situation? How did you manage yourself in a high combat and high stress situation? How were you able to make instant and quick decisions that involved your life and your squad's lives? If the situation became intense how did you distinguish friendly fire from enemy fire? How were you able to conduct yourself as a soldier of the military without your aspiness getting in the way? Either you are being dishonest about some things, you're higher functioning in a number of ways than some of those on here, you have an angle someway, somehow.

What did you do Fnord to overcome your symptoms of AS, function effectively in the military and function in society at all? What were your tools Fnord and what were your techniques that you used? Can you tell us in concrete, specific and literal terms?

Wouldn't autism disqualify you from military service on health grounds?

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2012, 6:54 pm

thomas81 wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:

I would have to ask this of you Fnord. How were you able to keep up in basic training? How did you keep up with the military drills they had you do? Didn't you have to coordinate yourself with the rest of your squad? How were you able to coordinate yourself and do everything at the same time as the rest of your squad? If you were out of sync were you screamed at and how did you deal with that? Did you ever miss orders or only understood part of your commanding officer's orders because of some sound or chaos? Did this occur frequently? How did you overcome it? Did you ever have meltdowns in the military? Were you ever disciplined by your superiors for various things and offenses? What was your final rank and position when you got out? What were you discharged for? Did you lead a squad on your own? How were you able to pull that off? Were you ever in a high combat situation? How did you manage yourself in a high combat and high stress situation? How were you able to make instant and quick decisions that involved your life and your squad's lives? If the situation became intense how did you distinguish friendly fire from enemy fire? How were you able to conduct yourself as a soldier of the military without your aspiness getting in the way? Either you are being dishonest about some things, you're higher functioning in a number of ways than some of those on here, you have an angle someway, somehow.

What did you do Fnord to overcome your symptoms of AS, function effectively in the military and function in society at all? What were your tools Fnord and what were your techniques that you used? Can you tell us in concrete, specific and literal terms?

Wouldn't autism disqualify you from military service on health grounds?

It is possible that he served before he had a diagnosis and when he enlisted the military did not perform a psychological exam. We would have to know the time period.