Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

22 Oct 2012, 2:04 pm

blackelk wrote:
TM wrote:
When it comes to suicide, I always found it somewhat funny that nobody really seems to give a sh** until the person has actually committed it.

People care. It's the only crime you can be arrested for attempting, but not arrested for committing.

Anti-suicide laws are among the most ret*d laws ever made. They only serve to increase the number of suicides since those attempting or contemplating suicide will go to even greater lengths to ensure that they succeed.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 4:26 pm

Quote:
Anti-suicide laws are among the most ret*d laws ever made.

In the case of attempted suicide, being arrested is more like being taken into protective custody. The purpose of the arrest isn't to punish the person, but to force them to accept treatment.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 10:35 am

If Jesus knew he was going to be taken from the garden,captured,then crucified then isn't that the equivalent to " Death by Centurion"? If you have the knowledge you are going to die and don't try to avoid it that seems suicidal to me.I mean no offense to Jesus,this is just a philosophical question.Don't get a bee in your bonnet over it.

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Oct 2012, 1:47 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:

In the case of attempted suicide, being arrested is more like being taken into protective custody. The purpose of the arrest isn't to punish the person, but to force them to accept treatment.

Why not just section them under the Mental Health Act?

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 6:11 pm

Quote:
If Jesus knew he was going to be taken from the garden,captured,then crucified then isn't that the equivalent to " Death by Centurion"? If you have the knowledge you are going to die and don't try to avoid it that seems suicidal to me.

This is why Christians say Jesus sacrificed himself. He could have escaped, but chose not to.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 7:42 pm

I see absolutely no reason to argue that it's preferable to the world for a person to exist rather than not exist,
and considerable argument to be made to the contrary.

to his Interest."

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 7:50 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
I see absolutely no reason to argue that it's preferable to the world for a person to exist rather than not exist,

That would depend on which person, would it not?

ruveyn

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 7:52 pm

antifeministfrills wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:

Why not just section them under the Mental Health Act?

Because doctors can't come to someone's house and drag them to the hospital. I mean, what you said is generally what happens. The police, and their power to arrest someone, are used to compel the person to get treatment. Someone attempts suicide may end up going for a ride in a cop car, but that ride's going to end at the hospital, not jail.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 7:52 pm

ruveyn wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

ruveyn

In some ways.
Humans aren't in short supply, though.

to his Interest."

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 7:54 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

ruveyn

In some ways.

Seven billion and counting. Apparently most of them are not good enough for you or you are too good for them.

ruveyn

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 7:58 pm

ruveyn wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

ruveyn

In some ways.

Seven billion and counting. Apparently most of them are not good enough for you or you are too good for them.

ruveyn

Meh?

to his Interest."