Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 12:55 pm

....in cases where the political career of the father might be jeopardized.

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2012/ ... er-patient

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colber ... desjarlais

In addition to making Apha Dog of the Week, this guy basically has "CREEPY REPUBLICAN" written all over his face

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 2:00 pm

well it brought up when a Republican who is voted in by Christians who trust his ethics is caught having an affair or when a Republican who is against gay marriage is caught with a gay partner.

The standard should be stated, even if you end up deviating from it. If you fail to meet the standard, that doesn't mean we should adjust morality to meet your inability to live up to it. Otherwise ethics will fall apart.

Ethics will not fall apart from people who are against gay marriage who are homosexuals themselves, or who say they support traditional marriage, and then violate their vows with an affair. Ethics will fall apart when we do away with an established set of codes that apply to everyone, in favor of trusting the "heart" and rationale of the individual, and they will source ethics from themselves and logical thinking.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 2:18 pm

^Ethics falls apart when people are hypocrites, imo.

21 Oct 2012, 2:28 pm

puddingmouse wrote:

Puddingmouse, who is the woman in your DP?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 2:39 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:

Puddingmouse, who is the woman in your DP?

DP, you mean my avatar?

That's Nico from the Velvet Underground. It's from the cover of her album, 'The Marble Index'.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 3:23 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjjDmX9Tkss[/youtube]

Lord_Gareth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Oct 2012, 4:51 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:
well it brought up when a Republican who is voted in by Christians who trust his ethics is caught having an affair or when a Republican who is against gay marriage is caught with a gay partner.

The standard should be stated, even if you end up deviating from it. If you fail to meet the standard, that doesn't mean we should adjust morality to meet your inability to live up to it. Otherwise ethics will fall apart.

Ethics will not fall apart from people who are against gay marriage who are homosexuals themselves, or who say they support traditional marriage, and then violate their vows with an affair. Ethics will fall apart when we do away with an established set of codes that apply to everyone, in favor of trusting the "heart" and rationale of the individual, and they will source ethics from themselves and logical thinking.

Ethics have traditionally fallen apart when handed to a single group (often self-righteous) to determine. Christianity hasn't been any different over its history, and the only real way to establish peace and justice is to permit change.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 9:27 pm

What if they knew the baby was going to grow up to be gay?I bet you would have them lining up at clinics to abort little Stefan.Or Stefani.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 1:03 am

At least Republicans have ethical standards, unlike many democrats.

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 1:12 am

Inuyasha wrote:

All people have "ethical standards."

Namaste.

Last edited by DerStadtschutz on 22 Oct 2012, 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 1:30 am

puddingmouse wrote:

I partially agree, say if a wealthy person advocates charitable acts and begins a charity to give to the less well off, that they then violate by hoarding all of his cash and spending it only on himself, does that mean we loose belief in the institution of charitable giving? Or do we maintain the ideal, keep people accountable?

The issue with the closet Gay against Gay marriage is more difficult since there are people who do not hold the male/female ideal. But Im sure you hold that the partner who cheats is unethical as a general ideal, and even if partners do cheat, in business, in a relationship, that does not disparage us from believing that partners shouldn't cheat, or that the ideal should be lowered for the fact that people cannot meet it.

I don't think the case here is simply hypocrisy at all, hypocrisy on its own is not enough for one to question upholding certain ethical positions. It is a specific kind of hypocrisy ment to question validity of certain principles that others hold that you don't agree with. If something is believed by everyone, then even if people deviate from it, as they are likely to do, we still uphold it as the standard that we are to still live up to. Doing what is right is only in question, and subject to judgments of hypocrisy that question its validity, if we don't agree at the onset of whether something is moral or immoral.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 7:26 am

I wonder why the fat, ugly guys get all of the chicks?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 8:24 am

They have fat wallets.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 1:04 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
I wonder why the fat, ugly guys get all of the chicks?

We don't get ALL of the chicks. My wife was one of my ex-fiancée's bridesmaids and took interest in me a few months after I called off the wedding. We happened to be together on a college-related trip, had a lovely conversation over dinner, and spent the next 3 hours riding the bus home and talking about everything and nothing.

You don't have to have a fat wallet. You just have to find the right time/place and a pretty woman who'll give you the time of day.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 1:17 pm

i don't think it is ethical for a Republican to say that they are against abortion and then to cheat a poor pregnant woman out of her health care.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 7:03 pm

Inuyasha wrote:

You really need to turn off Fox.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer