The menace of religious schools (Richard Dawkins).

Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 4:31 am

Tequila wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that. :( It does look as though it damages a lot more children than others, and can fanaticise/radicalise vulnerable young people who really don't have a lot of things going for them.

If you listened to the Catholic bloke from Northern Ireland, he was pretty aggressive and intransigent in basically suggesting that religious schools should be able to teach kids whatever they like and it's "parental choice". I think this kind of mindset is why there is so much of a chasm between unionists and nationalists, even if they don't actually believe in their religion.

I think the fact they don't want the state monitoring what they actually teach children in RE says it all, and they can have more than 5+ hours of religious education per week (not even covering all religions - but just the one religion) is worrying in the extreme IMO.

I do think the C of E woman is playing with fire when she says that people need to have faith, but she never said what that faith is. She may well end up giving people faith, but not in something nice. pleasant and C of E with that sort of thinking.

Then you should check out some of the cirriculum for some homeschool families who live in the US. There are some that use God in every single subject.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 9:39 am

I went to parochial school the first two years,they didn't want me after that,I had"problems"they didn't want to deal with,a reading and writing disability.
I went to an Adventist school for 8th grade and it was actually very nice,you did have to read about Ellen White every morning but you weren't made to feel bad if you weren't an Adventist.The classes were really small,and it's the only school I went to that had no bullies.The kids were all really nice,it's the only school that I have nothing but good memories from.They did invite you to church but didn't push it,all the teachers were nice too.I'm sorry my situation changed and I went to another school after that year,I would have liked to have stayed there.They were very kind.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 4:03 pm

GGPViper wrote:
On the other hand, it is my opinion that non-orthodox Judaism, Ba'hai or Jainism puts a much higher emphasis on science-based education (perhaps even higher than many secular schools). Of course, these 3 religions are all very small compared to Christianity and Islam.

You could add Catholic schools to the list, since they generally don't have a problem with evolution. Though I would still have some reservations about how they might approach sex education.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 4:07 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
I don't think there was any benefit to learning Catholic dogma. Some Catholic schools do have better discipline than state schools (not all of them in Britain, though)...but the religious side of it is mostly a waste of time. At primary school I had and hour of RE every day and a one hour Mass once a week. I know there are other sides to education than just the academic side, but I don't think the RE and church really edified me and some other form of personal/social development education would've been better. Thankfully, the Catholic college I work at now is limited to one hour of RE a week, without the compulsory Mass. They lay on the religion heavier for the younger age groups. Considering that the school day at primary school lasts 6 hours, then I was spending the equivalent of one whole school day a week learning about Catholicism (an NO other religion). :cry:

There's no intellectual benefit. There's little social benefit because I seemed to be the only child in the school who followed those teachings. It actually messed me up in some ways because I took it very seriously when I was young. I was hyper religious and very anxious all the time.

They didn't have to do so much religion to justify themselves as a 'Catholic school'! But they did, anyway.

I do agree, the only reasons the people I know who went through catholic school and college stay catholic is either a crazy amount of faith (which is the minority of them) or emotional attachments to the faith, ie they grew up with it, its easier for relationship with parents, etc.

I'm not Anti-Catholic, it is just disturbing all the atheists I debate, a large number of them come from a catholic upraising or attended catholic school. If you are producing so many atheists, maybe you need to rethink your approach, and judaism is more guilty of this... half of Jews are non-religious secular humanists or buddhists, and a large chunk of those who are religious have no reason to do so, so in the coming generations, they will marry out of the faith.

Sometimes atheism has little to do the religious upbringing. For example, you could come to be an atheist as a result of coming from a skeptical point of view. I don't think there's anything wrong with being an atheist anyway.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 4:11 pm

Jono wrote:
Though I would still have some reservations about how they might approach sex education.

Well, they only have to take them to see the priest...

TM
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 4:12 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Another menace that private religious schools represent is not just that they are diploma mills, but that they may be tax-exempt diploma mills.

Whereas public schools are tax-funded diploma mills.

Public schools are run on tax loot extracted from the citizens.

Private schools are run on tuition voluntarily paid by the students or parents of the students.

ruveyn

I support a solid public school system, out of self-interest more than anything since I hate dealing with people who do not have a basic education.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 4:27 pm

Jono wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:

I do agree, the only reasons the people I know who went through catholic school and college stay catholic is either a crazy amount of faith (which is the minority of them) or emotional attachments to the faith, ie they grew up with it, its easier for relationship with parents, etc.

I'm not Anti-Catholic, it is just disturbing all the atheists I debate, a large number of them come from a catholic upraising or attended catholic school. If you are producing so many atheists, maybe you need to rethink your approach, and judaism is more guilty of this... half of Jews are non-religious secular humanists or buddhists, and a large chunk of those who are religious have no reason to do so, so in the coming generations, they will marry out of the faith.

Sometimes atheism has little to do the religious upbringing. For example, you could come to be an atheist as a result of coming from a skeptical point of view. I don't think there's anything wrong with being an atheist anyway.

Well, yes. There's nothing inherently wrong with being one if one can acknowledge truth and good principles, even if they come from sources, ideologies, or groups you don't agree with. I know of a few, but they are almost nonexistent in comparison to those that I know of who can't stand it if any person can find anything good, reasonable, or rational to say about religion.

Berlin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Oct 2012, 5:48 pm

Another aspect of Tony Blair's disastrous legacy...thanks for posting this.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 6:00 pm

They should make all the schools set up like they do in Japan so that each class is separated by rank, entrance exams are taken before entry of course.School is hardcore though hehe doing homework in a japanese highschool is like doing college homework in the west.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 7:11 pm

TM wrote:

I support a solid public school system, out of self-interest more than anything since I hate dealing with people who do not have a basic education.

So you support laws that compel parents to turn their children over to adults of dubious and questionable morality and competence?

Consider the result of public schools in the U.S. U.S. elementary and high school students rank very low in science and math. Some basic education that is. And 40 percent of U.S. people are functionally illiterate. Basic education???? I doubt it.

ruveyn

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 9:50 am

ruveyn wrote:
TM wrote:

So you support laws that compel parents to turn their children over to adults of dubious and questionable morality and competence?

Consider the result of public schools in the U.S. U.S. elementary and high school students rank very low in science and math. Some basic education that is. And 40 percent of U.S. people are functionally illiterate. Basic education???? I doubt it.

ruveyn

Well, they would need to improve the public school system then.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 10:30 am

puddingmouse wrote:
I don't think there was any benefit to learning Catholic dogma. Some Catholic schools do have better discipline than state schools (not all of them in Britain, though)...but the religious side of it is mostly a waste of time. At primary school I had and hour of RE every day and a one hour Mass once a week. I know there are other sides to education than just the academic side, but I don't think the RE and church really edified me and some other form of personal/social development education would've been better. Thankfully, the Catholic college I work at now is limited to one hour of RE a week, without the compulsory Mass. They lay on the religion heavier for the younger age groups. Considering that the school day at primary school lasts 6 hours, then I was spending the equivalent of one whole school day a week learning about Catholicism (an NO other religion). :cry:

There's no intellectual benefit. There's little social benefit because I seemed to be the only child in the school who followed those teachings. It actually messed me up in some ways because I took it very seriously when I was young. I was hyper religious and very anxious all the time.

They didn't have to do so much religion to justify themselves as a 'Catholic school'! But they did, anyway.
My experience was very similar. I was very religious as a youngster too and took everything very seriously. We learned about no other religions as well. I left school knowing absolutely nothing about other faiths.

I'm no longer religious and my daughter isn't even Christened. I had to choose between the 2 local council schools, one Catholic and one non-denominational. I chose the non-denom one because, although she woundn't be learning about the sacraments, etc, I was wondering what on earth she was going to be doing when the majority of her class was doing this stuff. And from my memory of school, there's an awful lot of time spent on these things.

However, although she's at a non-denom school, I still think the religious bodies are having an influence. There's a Church of Scotland church nearby and the minister visits the school quite a bit and speaks at the assemblies. He's a nice man and I'm all for him speaking about being kind to your neighbour, etc, but I do object to the way in which RME (RE) is taught. I'm sure it's being spoken about as if God is fact and it seems that the Christian (Church of Scotland) faith is being forced on the kids, although they learn about other faiths too. It's like: here's what we believe (Christianity) and here's a bit about some other faiths. The private schools in the area are all religious schools, so the only way to ensure your child doesn't get a religious education is by homeschooling.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 11:51 am

I must say though that my first elementary school, while a public school was heavily influenced by religion. We had 'religion' (protestant) classes, said the lords prayer every morning and said grace at lunch, which never made any sense to me then or now. Having said that it was by far the best education I ever received and the teachers were generally fantastic. In fact, outside the religion class there was no difference between that and a regular school and I doubt any of the teachers really believed the crap they taught us about Noah's Ark, Moses, Jesus, etc.

When we moved (at age 9) and I went to a completely secular school was when all hell broke loose and I was mercilessly tortured beyond belief. I'm as critical of religion as anyone but I have found those who have their kids in religious schools are amongst the most intelligent, open minded and caring parents I have ever met.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 12:47 pm

The one thing private schools have over public is they can kick out the ignorant monkey trash.

So the kids who want to act like ignorant fools get kicked out of private school, but the public schools have to deal with it.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 4:05 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
The one thing private schools have over public is they can kick out the ignorant monkey trash.

So the kids who want to act like ignorant fools get kicked out of private school, but the public schools have to deal with it.

Are you talking about badly behaved kids or kids who don't want to learn?

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 6:06 pm

Jono wrote:
If the school teaches something that is blatantly false, such as creationism in a science classroom, which by the way isn't science, then the education it provides is pathetic.

I would like creationists more if they promoted a creation story I like more.

Some ancient Egyptians believed that that the universe came out of the god Atum while he was masturbating. Why can't more religious schools teach that?

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/