Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 11:09 pm

LeeAnderson wrote:
I'm just saying, we're not as free as we think we are. Don't you guys pay attention to the news? Anaheim?

Its not like the mainstream news really goes into the details of that.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 11:21 pm

Your not innocent until proven guilty in a cops eyes your guilty until proven innocent esspecially if your an aspie minding your own business get pulled over and frisked out of looking suspicious due to high anxiety and wandering eyes!They piss me off!!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 12:17 am

I guess I've been really lucky and I've never been stopped,either I'm a great driver or I just look harmless in my " vintage"1986 Pontiac.I don't know how I'd do,I stutter some if I'm really nervous,and won't be able to maintain eye contact so it's possible I could be harassed.My area is real rural and the cops pretty much know who the trouble makers are,meth heads.So if you aren't into that they pretty much don't bother you unless your all over the road,and for public safety you need to be off it,I think they prey mostly on tourists around here.And I have no problem with them going after the tweakers,all our violent crime and murders have been meth related.

blackelk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Oct 2012, 12:24 am

Misslizard wrote:
I guess I've been really lucky and I've never been stopped,either I'm a great driver or I just look harmless in my " vintage"1986 Pontiac.I don't know how I'd do,I stutter some if I'm really nervous,and won't be able to maintain eye contact so it's possible I could be harassed.My area is real rural and the cops pretty much know who the trouble makers are,meth heads.So if you aren't into that they pretty much don't bother you unless your all over the road,and for public safety you need to be off it,I think they prey mostly on tourists around here.And I have no problem with them going after the tweakers,all our violent crime and murders have been meth related.

Are you a female? That would explain why you have a more positive experience with the police.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 12:41 am

There's a lot of really douche bag cops, and the more we modernize and progress, the better they get at collecting revenue for the city. I've been stopped a few times that I thought were uncalled for, and I've never blamed it on racial profiling, because the douche would then turn around and pull over another person just 5 miles down the road, almost at random.

But... they've also been really awesome and have come through for me in many cases, so I don't hate them. Especially at protests, when we'd gather(maybe 50 of us) in front of SF's city hall to stand up for Israel, and the mob would gather against us, at least 3000 people, the civility of the left is nonexistent at these rallies and the cops is the only thing standing between us and having objects hurled at us. I guess taking a position on a faraway land justifies sending someone to the emergency room, but thats the tolerance crowd for you.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 1:07 am

Most cops probably aren't as*holes, and I appreciate them for standing between us and criminals. A pastor I know has a son who's a police officer in Seattle.
But the fact remains, there are bad cops, and they smear the good name of the rest. Ask anyone in the Spokane, Washington area the name Otto Zehm, and you'll hear about a friendly, well liked janitor who had been medicated for schizophrenia. On his last night on earth, while Otto had gotten money out of an ATM, he had tried engaging two teen aged girls in conversation - and they not understanding he was mentally ill, thought he was trying to rob the machine, apparently. After the girls had called the police, an officer on call found Zehm in a nearby convenience store, where he struck him from behind with a non-regulation baton repeatedly. Zehm was then hogtied and a respirator had been placed over his face. Problem was, no one had bothered to turn on the oxygen. Otto died. The police department claimed Zehm had attacked the officer with a pop bottle. In fact, the store security camera showed a different story. At the officer's trial, it was learned he had been watching a football game when called, and so had left pissed off. When he was convicted for manslaughter, the police in the courtroom stood and saluted him. Needless to say, people here are pissed off at the police department, especially since the former chief of police had been resistant to civilian oversight.
R.I.P. Otto.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 1:38 am

Misslizard wrote:
The thing is I don't get pulled over when driving I'm an excellent driver who goes the speed limit its just when I go bike riding or or on walks I get harassed.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

LeeAnderson
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 2:23 am

When I drove I never got pulled over. I would have been scared out of my mind though and couldn't have made eye contact more than the first initial time.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 2:31 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5eOknaXgYU[/youtube] Warning some graphic language in this vid. I know for sure ill stay away from Pennsylvania! 8O

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

29 Oct 2012, 3:41 am

People have been deluded into thinking that police are there to protect you when in reality they victimize far more people than they ever protect.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 4:15 am

www.theagitator.com

Perhaps the best chronicle out there of why the police are not your friend. Other people who are not your friends include prosecutors, crime lab technicians, private prison operators and most politicians. Following Radley Balko is like taking the red pill, you'll know the truth but at times wish you didn't.

Last edited by Dox47 on 29 Oct 2012, 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 5:56 am

LeeAnderson wrote:
Oh you're bringing out the "I have cop family members" card, guys...

Two of my uncles are cops, my brother's on his way to becoming a cop. I still don't like cops. Maybe it's because I'm unbiased despite the opportunity for bias.. *shrugs*

If any of my other cousins were cops, I'd throw them right under the bus because they truly are sociopaths. One is an accountant, the other is in law-school. I'm glad the reasonable one is in law enforcement because they could use better examples.

I think the real issue is accountability, officers who overstep their boundaries are given maximum leeway by the entire criminal justice system even when there is overwhelming evidence against them. It's horrifying that you have video-tape them in the act, not to hold them accountable, but just to get yourself off the hook.

LeeAnderson
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 5:58 am

Yes they're clearly above the law which makes no sense if they're enforcing the law. What does it mean then? Jack and **** and Jack just left town.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 6:08 am

i really dont see why there isnt a camera on every cops uniform, recording non stop to a non erasable medium for reference, data on a server would work if properly encrypted and maintained by someone with no connection to the police.

i dont care about their privacy or feelings, if you wield extraordinary authority then there needs to be extraordinary checks and balances to ensure proper operation,
i also think any politicized comment made as an on duty representative should be forbidden.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 7:43 am

Misslizard wrote:
Everyone hates the cops till someone steals your car or breaks into your house.

Well, everyone says the cops are fine until they arrest you for no good reason.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 2:53 pm

I think this may be due to educational demands.

I am not familiar with the educational demands for US police officers, but in Denmark, the education is about to be bumped up to a bachelor of science in the coming years. My guess is that this has a significant impact on the make-up of the candidates who seek and complete training as police officers...

And Danish police officers are generally well respected in the populace.