Page 2 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 1:07 pm

I actually think Gary Johnson would be a better president than Obama. That may surprise some of you since I have been critical of libertarianism in the past but I have chosen my priorities.

The poor in America have a hard time but so do the people of the Middle East. Who has a harder time? I think that the Middle Eastern people have a worse time.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 1:34 pm

Quote:
The poor in America have a hard time but so do the people of the Middle East. Who has a harder time? I think that the Middle Eastern people have a worse time.

The American president is elected to represent Americans. The citizens of Middle Eastern countries have their own leaders.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 1:38 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:

The American president is elected to represent Americans. The citizens of Middle Eastern countries have their own leaders.

I don't care about patriotism. What is good for the world is right.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 2:00 pm

visagrunt wrote:
thewhitrbbit wrote:
I won't vote for Obama because I refuse to vote for a president who suspends Habeus Corpus, a right that has been enjoyed since the Magna Carta.

I have to correct you there.

Habeus corpus is nowhere found in Magna Carta. It only guarantees that a freeman shall not be, "taken or imprisoned...but by lawful judgement of his Peers, or by the Law of the land." Magna Carta in no way restricted the Royal Authority to arrest in pursuit of the law, and to detain indefinitely pending trial, for these were always within "the Law of the land." Up until the 17th century, habeus corpus was primarily a means whereby the King could demand account from a subordinate official as to the reasons for a prisoner's detention. It could not be enforced against the King, himself.

Until Parliament intervened.

Where Habeus Corpus became enforcable against the Crown, rather than by it was the Habeus Corpus Act of 1679. An earlier attempt had been made in 1640, but Charles I was disinclined to subordinate himself to Parliament. But the 1679 Act was made with the full approval of Charles II, and it has been a bulwark of the Law of England and Wales (and all jurisdictions that have fallen heir to her) ever since.

I did not know that, I had always thought it came from Magna Carta.

Well still, it doesn't change the fact he suspended it.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 2:20 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
I actually think Gary Johnson would be a better president than Obama. That may surprise some of you since I have been critical of libertarianism in the past but I have chosen my priorities.

So poor Americans shouldnt care about what goes on in their own country purely because people in other countries have a harder time.

Yup, thats how you make progress. :roll:

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 2:31 pm

thomas81 wrote:
So poor Americans shouldnt care about what goes on in their own country purely because people in other countries have a harder time.

They certainly shouldn't vote for a man who will kill people in other countries.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Oct 2012, 4:39 pm

But Johnson wants to screw over Americans as much as possible...

Warning: this is Rocky Anderson propoganda so favours Mr Anderson:

http://www.voterocky.org/rocky_and_gary

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 10:03 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
I always like telling the religious right that in the bible everyone was covered under socialized medicine.

Chapter and verse please? Sorry, but I have been a Christian for over thirty years and have never seen anywhere in Scripture that states the government should pay for people's health care.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 10:19 pm

thomas81 wrote:
outofplace wrote:
I would also add that it is immoral to force citizens of a state to purchase a product or service from a private company under threat of imprisonment. .

Is it more moral to allow others to die because of your refusal against state legislation?

This is why America needs a National Health Service. In this country rich people here pay into the system without whining about it despite going to a private hospital anyway and everyone gets to see a doctor on demand.

What we have though is the farthest thing from a national health service. Think of it this way: it would be nice if everyone could afford to buy a new Rolls Royce every year. However, it is not within the financial means of all to do so. Now, if the government suddenly made a law forcing everyone to buy a new Rolls Royce every year would that change the ability of people to afford one? I cannot currently afford heath insurance. However, a very small minded man by the name of Barack Hussein Obama feels that he has the right to force me to buy it and that by doing so it will suddenly become affordable to me. If, for some reason, I can not afford what the dictator tells me to buy, he will then throw me in jail for not complying with his whims.

Now, for all of you who think that this will finally force employers of low income people to insure their workers, you are sadly mistaken. All they will do is cut their employees below the thirty hour a week threshold for having to insure them and hire more part time workers to cover the slack. As real unemployment is still around 18%, they will have no problem filling the positions. The now part-time workers will now be even less able to buy insurance than they were before, only now they face the threat of the IRS kicking in their door when they don't buy insurance and can't pay the fines for failing to do so. Employers WILL do the right thing and cut their full time workers as businesses do not exist for the good of the employees but rather for the good of the shareholders. Think I am just making this up? Darden restaurants (Olive Garden, Red lobster, etc.) has announced it intends to start doing just that. Orlando Sentinel Story

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 1:26 am

The_Walrus wrote:

If by "screw over" you mean "minimize state interference in their lives", than yes, Gary wants to screw over as many Americans as possible...

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 8:11 am

Quote:

It has nothing to do with patriotism. It has to do with the autonomy of nations. Each nation has its own leader to represent it. England's leader doesn't represent South Korea, and Mexico's leader doesn't represent people in Iceland.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 9:02 am

outofplace wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:
I always like telling the religious right that in the bible everyone was covered under socialized medicine.

Chapter and verse please? Sorry, but I have been a Christian for over thirty years and have never seen anywhere in Scripture that states the government should pay for people's health care.

Jewish communities were required to have charity funds for the community. On the other hand, the fund officials could ask for proof of need, and people receiving the charity were required to give some of it back just as if it was regular income, and they were required to work if able.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 10:17 am

Dox47 wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

If by "screw over" you mean "minimize state interference in their lives", than yes, Gary wants to screw over as many Americans as possible...

You mean return to the Gilded Age where the only kind of government interference was to send in the national guard when the factory proles got too indignant.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 10:21 am

thewhitrbbit wrote:
outofplace wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:

Jewish communities were required to have charity funds for the community. On the other hand, the fund officials could ask for proof of need, and people receiving the charity were required to give some of it back just as if it was regular income, and they were required to work if able.

If they were "required to have funds for the community" then it wasn't a charity but a tax.

FreePerson
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Nov 2012, 10:32 am

@outofplace

That is exactly it! The people who wrote that law make the assumption that everything is static and every party whose interests are affected by their laws will not react.

How many juries do you think will convict a person simply for being too poor to buy health insurance? IRS resources will be wasted chasing down the working poor non-insured and courts will be even more clogged. Overall respect for the law will drop as news stories of people being incarcerated for being poor start to pop up.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 10:34 am

YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:

It has nothing to do with patriotism. It has to do with the autonomy of nations. Each nation has its own leader to represent it. England's leader doesn't represent South Korea, and Mexico's leader doesn't represent people in Iceland.

That does't justify Obama's foreign policy at all.