Just not discussed 44%  44%  [ 15 ]
Somewhat discouraged 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Violently discouraged 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 34

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 9:14 pm

Trichinosis,yuk,you can get it from eating bear meat if it's not cooked good.^^^^

iBlockhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Nov 2012, 9:30 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Trichinosis,yuk,you can get it from eating bear meat if it's not cooked good.^^^^

Could be worse. They just found out a lot of people are walking around with tapeworms in their brain. Nasty creatures, they get everywhere if you don't catch it quick. And some people are apparently stupid enough to use them to lose weight,

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 9:38 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:
There is no proof that they committed genocide to the Midianite people.

I'm not aware of any proof outside the Bible. But, neither have I researched it.

I am speaking strictly from within the Bible. There is no proof that the Jews carried out that so called genocide.

Numbers 31 wrote:
They attacked Midian, as the Lord had commanded Moses, and killed all the men, including the five kings of Midian: Evi, Rekem, Zur, Hur, and Reba. They also killed Balaam son of Beor.The people of Israel captured the Midianite women and children, took their cattle and their flocks, plundered all their wealth, and burned all their cities and camps...

Moses became angry with the officers, the commanders of battalions and companies, who had returned from the war. He asked them, “Why have you kept all the women alive? Remember that it was the women who followed Balaam's instructions and at Peor led the people to be unfaithful to the Lord. That was what brought the epidemic on the Lord's people. So now kill every boy and kill every woman who has had sexual intercourse, but keep alive for yourselves all the girls and all the women who are virgins.

First of all, they weren't yet called "Jews": just "Israelites" or "Hebrews." And, that is how wars were fought in the olden days. What sort of proof are you looking for?

MarketAndChurch wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:
The virgin(s) were spared because they could not have been the whores whose diseases have killed more then 40,000 jews.

That isn't why. They just had a virgin fetish.

No. They had a prostitute fetish. Prostitutes can give you sex more easily then a virgin could, as it would require rape and potentially risking your life for free sex. The prostitutes were what gave the israeli's the diseases that wiped out maybe half of their population.

Numbers 25 wrote:
When the Israelites were camped at Acacia Valley, the men began to have sexual intercourse with the Moabite women who were there. These women invited them to sacrificial feasts, where the god of Moab was worshiped. The Israelites ate the food and worshiped the god Baal of Peor. So the Lord was angry with them and said to Moses, “Take all the leaders of Israel and, in obedience to me, execute them in broad daylight, and then I will no longer be angry with the people.” Moses said to the officials, “Each of you is to kill every man in your tribe who has become a worshiper of Baal of Peor.”

One of the Israelites took a Midianite woman into his tent in the sight of Moses and the whole community, while they were mourning at the entrance of the Tent of the Lord's presence. When Phinehas, the son of Eleazar and grandson of Aaron the priest, saw this, he got up and left the assembly. He took a spear, followed the man and the woman into the tent, and drove the spear through both of them. In this way the epidemic that was destroying Israel was stopped, but it had already killed twenty-four thousand people.

The Lord said to Moses, “Because of what Phinehas has done, I am no longer angry with the people of Israel. He refused to tolerate the worship of any god but me, and that is why I did not destroy them in my anger. So tell him that I am making a covenant with him that is valid for all time to come. He and his descendants are permanently established as priests, because he did not tolerate any rivals to me and brought about forgiveness for the people's sin.”

The Midianite women weren't prostitutes: they were just very, very, very hospitable people. And, look at how the Israelites repaid them for their hospitality. If you are looking for good, kindly people in the ancient world: the Midianites were them. And, there is absolutely nothing to suggest that the Midianites had been the cause of the epidemic. It would seem to have been Yahweh's doing, if anything.

MarketAndChurch wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:
The Jews did invent homosexuality.

I wouldn't give them credit for that.

Well you can't name any ancient people who defined sexual orientation by the sex of those engaging in the act. It was a Jewish invention.

The Bible contains no such definition.

MarketAndChurch wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:
Prior to that, you did not define people's orientation by the sex's involved in the act, because men frequently had sex with men, boys, their wives, and young virgins. You cannot name another ancient culture who had prohibitions against a man having sex with a man, gay or straight.

Well, Rome, after Christianity was adopted.

Yes, but pre Judaism and Pre Christianity was a very rotten world.

Guess what? The world is still a very rotten place.

MarketAndChurch wrote:
Yes but they had no rights beyond their societally designated functions. They had no worth beyond those roles. The same goes for homosexuality in the germanic and franco tribes, every single middle-eastern tribe, the chinese, and the world over. The elevation of the male as the ideal, be it mans intellectual and philosophical achievements, or the male form as the ideal, has, unfortunately, always come at the de-elevation of the woman. What went down with the lesbian love is bitter sweet. Sweet because they had someone to love and be loved by, and bitter because of the constraints of reality and society in those times that allowed them no other options.

What are you trying to get at?

MarketAndChurch wrote:
There was no female creation story in all of the middle east, from north africa to afghanistan. The one group of people, 3000 years ago, who had a creation story in which woman is made is the Jews.

I doubt that the Jews were the only ones to have fabricated a creation myth that accounted for the existence of women.
Other religions included both Gods and Goddesses. According to the Jews, God created Man in His own image, and the woman later, as an after-thought, so that the man could have a companion and plaything. The Jewish God is a purely masculine figure. The Woman is the one who gets the blame for Man's downfall: she is the one who coquettishly persuaded him to eat that forbidden fruit, and she got the bigger punishment between the two.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 9:46 pm

Raptor wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
I think this thread started as a joke but has now got very mean,I don't care if you f**k your wheelbarrow,just be civil to one another.

Like most all of the OP's threads it was deliberately intended to stir the pot of dissent.

We just can't call it what it is (psssssp.............+r011ing....)
Did someone say something? T'wasn't I....

It was called "Starting a Stimulating Discussion", like all of the other OP's threads.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 9:47 pm

iBlockhead wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:
I could say I don't mind a man and a man living together as a couple, and you will say that I do mind of a man and man living together as a couple.

That's completely false, but OK.

MarketAndChurch wrote:
We can't entertain ideas philosophically with you, maybe you are rigid in that sense, and that is fine, we are all different. I said I don't support punishing gays and you say that I do. I don't know anything about not having homosexual sex as an entrence requirement to heaven... especially when heaven has to do with how decent you are to other fellow human beings.

More on that below.

MarketAndChurch wrote:
Beastiality and statutory rape are normal if they have been practiced normally throughout human history. You are conflating normalcy and morality. Just because jealousy is normal does not necessarily mean that it is moral.

If they WERE practiced normally throughout human history. I also noted the completely natural actions among the animal kingdom, but you keep making it a human issue.

OK, so what's the punishment for the "immoral activity"? If you say something is immoral, there has to be a consequence for the immoral activity.

MarketAndChurch wrote:
Why don't you reply to me when you have something meaningful to say, and I'll seek out a translator for you on the forums.

You implied that if homosexuality is OK, then why not bestiality, pedophilia, etc. It's a typical tactic that's been done to death. I told you they were different things, but now you give some hypothetical statement you didn't show evidence for. Come on...

If I implied, let me clarify then:

There is a male-female ideal. Every prohibition that exists exists to prop up the male-female bias. Reread my original post. Or, I'll restate it below in a simpler manner.

It is not implied that Gays should have not have a problem with incest. I then went on to make the case for appreciating incest from a secular point of view.

Rather,

That even gays, a group which has been driven underground for much of western history by prohibitions that source itself from the same origin as the prohibition on brother-sister love and animal-human sex shows the pervasiveness of the bible in shaping the way we see things. Sexuality hasn't always been as fixed as we perceive it to be.

I cannot simplify it anymore. That said, there is to be no punishment for man-man love in my perspective. You tell them that God says he doesn't approve of this for the reasons I've elaborated, and then move on with your life. They may stay with their partner, find another, adopt children, move through careers, buy a home, or do whatever they want, you are to love them no differently then you would another heterosexual member of your life.

Again, you are arguing with me, not every person who has ever had a position against homosexuals. You are inferring their reasoning as my own, and I will not defend what, for the most part, I find indefensible.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 9:56 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
I think this thread started as a joke but has now got very mean,I don't care if you f**k your wheelbarrow,just be civil to one another.

Like most all of the OP's threads it was deliberately intended to stir the pot of dissent.

We just can't call it what it is (psssssp.............+r011ing....)
Did someone say something? T'wasn't I....

It was called "Starting a Stimulating Discussion", like all of the other OP's threads.

Uh huh.....
:roll:

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 10:01 pm

MagicToenail wrote:
to paraphrase Neil Simon "if you sleep with your cousin, you get babies with 9 heads." and sex with animals can spread zoonosis. Syphilis might have originally started out a disease of sheep. Mostly harmless to the sheep, but devastating to humans. So incest and bestiality prohibitions are rooted in some real world logic. Prohibitions against homosexuality are rooted in superstition.

Roots:
It is a reactionary response to the order that God intended, and the fluidity of sexuality. God's intended order is a male-female ideal.

Sex Between Syblings:
Well what about recreational sex between your syblings. Mom and dad are gone, there's nothing good on TV, and we have protection. No babies will be made, and even then we have some pills we can pop to insure that. We have our fun, we obviously consent to blowing each others minds, no diseases are spread, her boyfriend doesn't know, my girlfriend won't know, our parents won't know, what is wrong with what we're doing?

Sex With Animals:
As I've said, what if you could scientifically minimize every possible risk with having sex with an animal, prove that it was enjoying it too, and that there were no harm to either groups, would beastiality be moral then? And if not, why exactly? What is your secular reasoning? It's unnatural? WHo cares? What in nature hasn't broken a few rules... What if the animal's brain waves registers pleasure mid-act and develops a liking to the process? It's safe, both parties consent to it, and neither are hurt psychologically or physically.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 10:07 pm

DancingDanny wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:
Schneekugel wrote:
Since we have recordings, in all cultures a small percentage of people were homosexual.

So I dont see the point why this topic is so special for many people. If you are homosexual your homosexual and its ok. And if you are heterosexual, then your heterosexual and its ok as well. So why should i need to promote one of them if both are fine?

Homosexuality is a human norm. We owe the western world today - as it is framed - to the bible.

That Homos have any icky feelings towards incest is evidence of the Bible's far-reaching bias. That even in 2012, gay folk have an issue with brother-sister love. Why... What is wrong with a brother and a sister sleeping with each other? If Love is the criteria, they have it, and they're not harming you, or so the impediment to moral reasoning goes.

Uhh, this post is probably why they are reading bad intentions into your Bible argument.

The bible's position is that an incestuous society and/or an incestuous family setting makes it a toxic environment for a functional family to exist, especially if the fathers always raping the daughters, or lending their sons to be raped by their friends, or their sons can challenge the father for rulership of the family by displacing him and marrying mom, or if your children are always screwing each other every chance they get, its not a healthy environment and it is the undoing of the institution of the family. That didn't stop fathers from raping their daughters or from men raping boys, but they did so knowing it was immoral. There is hope for the world if we know what is and isn't moral. There is no hope for the world if we behave unethically and don't know it.

It has nothing to do with consent. Nor does it have anything to do with health. Or even the possibility of harming one or more of the participants.

DancingDanny
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Nov 2012, 10:08 pm

This is why I cannot take seriously your statement in another thread that the GOP ought to hold the line on the male-female ideal but reform itself to be friendly to gay interests..especially when your recommendation is nothing but a recapitulation of that good ol separate but equal schools arguments from Mississippi.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 10:18 pm

DancingDanny wrote:
This is why I cannot take seriously your statement in another thread that the GOP ought to hold the line on the male-female ideal but reform itself to be friendly to gay interests..especially when your recommendation is nothing but a recapitulation of that good ol separate but equal schools arguments from Mississippi.

Well entertain for a moment the idea for a second. Separate, but equal. Removed of that Mississippi Jim-crow south context. Does it carry its weight intellectually? Is it possible.. to be separate, but equal? What is our barometer for equality... did the civil rights acts make whites love blacks? Would you not argue that the sexes are separate, but equal? I mean the examples are endless of two things that range in difference from slightly different to fundamentally different, and yet their relationship to each other is still EQUAL!

And if separate but equal, removed of that historical context, is possible, given in the spirit that it I have intended, illustrated in every post I make, in what ways then do you think I am applying it? And try to come to your conclusions without assuming my intentions or inferring that I'm a racist. (not that you are saying that I'm racist.)

DancingDanny
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Nov 2012, 10:26 pm

There is that context in the history of this country though. You cannot just think about these things as vacuum thought experiments. Yes, without the context of Jim Crow, separate but equal is a possibility. But it's because of Jim Crow that we know that separate but equal is a paper argument and in the real world where people live, there will be suffering because some people hate gays/blacks and unfortunately those people are gatekeepers that hold back the rights of gays/blacks. Separate but equal is an argument that critics of equality use in order to maintain the status quo in ideas because it can be predicted that it will lead to a poverty in distribution of justice to minorities. Separate but equal is a precedent that the minority group are not equals. They are not equals because the dominant group has decided that those people need to be separated from the in group because they are different. This is simple play ground politics here.

On top of all of that, would separate but equal gay marriages be performed in the same courtrooms as heterosexual pairings? Why or why not? If it's a why not, then I find it pretty contradictory for a small government lover to ask for an expansion in government to accommodate the same sex group.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 10:50 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:

MarketAndChurch wrote:
Yes but they had no rights beyond their societally designated functions. They had no worth beyond those roles. The same goes for homosexuality in the germanic and franco tribes, every single middle-eastern tribe, the chinese, and the world over. The elevation of the male as the ideal, be it mans intellectual and philosophical achievements, or the male form as the ideal, has, unfortunately, always come at the de-elevation of the woman. What went down with the lesbian love is bitter sweet. Sweet because they had someone to love and be loved by, and bitter because of the constraints of reality and society in those times that allowed them no other options.

What are you trying to get at?

MarketAndChurch wrote:
There was no female creation story in all of the middle east, from north africa to afghanistan. The one group of people, 3000 years ago, who had a creation story in which woman is made is the Jews.

I doubt that the Jews were the only ones to have fabricated a creation myth that accounted for the existence of women.
Other religions included both Gods and Goddesses. According to the Jews, God created Man in His own image, and the woman later, as an after-thought, so that the man could have a companion and plaything. The Jewish God is a purely masculine figure. The Woman is the one who gets the blame for Man's downfall: she is the one who coquettishly persuaded him to eat that forbidden fruit, and she got the bigger punishment between the two.

Arrant Pariah: http://www.wrongplanet.net/posts208619-start150.html

I make my argument there, it is rather long, but following it as it is evolved over the following pages, I make the case that the suggestion that Genocide occurred has no proof from internal evidence...

Also: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postxf164586-0-75.html

I explain here the inherent case for Eve in the biblical Jewish creation myth. I can't think of another near east society that had women in its creation involved... to the best of my knowledge, the samarians, egyptians, babylonians, assyrians, did not have a woman in their creation myth.

The woman does not get the blame for man's downfall in the torah. We infer that, but the text does not state that. I will not re-explain all of that, but feel free to revive that thread of you discover any issues. I can repost the postings here as well, but I want to keep your thread focused to Homosexuality.

On the lesbians, I am merely saying that the women of Greek society sometimes engaged in lesbian acts out of the miserable reality that they had no worth, very often unloved or mistreated. I'm with them. It is better to be with each other and loved then to simply conform to life and lead a meaningless existence.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 11:07 pm

DancingDanny wrote:
There is that context in the history of this country though. You cannot just think about these things as vacuum thought experiments. Yes, without the context of Jim Crow, separate but equal is a possibility. But it's because of Jim Crow that we know that separate but equal is a paper argument and in the real world where people live, there will be suffering because some people hate gays/blacks and unfortunately those people are gatekeepers that hold back the rights of gays/blacks. Separate but equal is an argument that critics of equality use in order to maintain the status quo in ideas because it can be predicted that it will lead to a poverty in distribution of justice to minorities. Separate but equal is a precedent that the minority group are not equals. They are not equals because the dominant group has decided that those people need to be separated from the in group because they are different. This is simple play ground politics here.

On top of all of that, would separate but equal gay marriages be performed in the same courtrooms as heterosexual pairings? Why or why not? If it's a why not, then I find it pretty contradictory for a small government lover to ask for an expansion in government to accommodate the same sex group.

Danny, I am speaking about homosexuality in all of the world. We should not allow homosexual marriage in the world, and the world should, for goodness sakes, be kinder to the Gay and accept them as an equal. When I speak of Abortion, I am speaking to all of the world as well, as ethics don't end at our borders.

"Separate but equal" in the jim crow south was just "separate", removed of any sense of equality. I don't see how it applies when it was only "separate, but equal" in name only... there was no meaningful attempt at equality. Forcing people to go to the back of the bus is not equal. Neither is denying them service at a diner because of their skin color.

If "0" is no government, and "20" is 100% government, I would hover between a "7" and a "12" - Where I am on the size and role of government, I'm not too sure. I'm saying that it should be titled differently. Call it Carriage or Barriage or Farriage or Garriage. Leave marriage as the societal bias, one that gays should also affirm too. We are doing this, of course, for society's sake, that men and women grow up and marry each other. The Gay should say: "You know, I know I am gay, but I also know that most people's sexuality are not as fixed as some might say, so in the spirit of doing the right thing, I support marriage, I support it as being a healthy societal bias, and I wish men and women would grow up and marry each other and keep that institution alive."

What Gays want is equality. If they had equality, there would not be a movement in the millions amongst both gays and non-gays trying to fight for marriage, because they think marriage is what will make them equal in society's eyes. If we had just treated them lovingly in the first place, supporting them, their sexuality, through their careers, as they age, the families they start, this movement for marriage equality would be nonexistent.

DancingDanny
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2012, 4:45 am

I think that sexuality being fluid and all that people who are still atleast a majority percentage heterosexual will still marry the opposite sex no matter the legal status and name of what we call gay marriage. Why do you think heterosexual people need to be societally peer pressured to have sex with the opposite sex? I think that's what comes naturally.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 6:07 am

I'm chiming in here sort of late. But, I think gay "rights" should be promoted, and gays should be encouraged to live their lives freely, rather then living in fear of social ramifications.
I don't know how you would encourage homosexuality any more than you could encourage someone to be black - you just are, or you aren't.
As for gay marriage - I live in Washington state where I am happy to say we gave gay citizens the right to marry by popular vote. I see gay marriage and gay rights in general as the new civil rights movement.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 9:06 am

MarketAndChurch wrote:
On the lesbians, I am merely saying that the women of Greek society sometimes engaged in lesbian acts out of the miserable reality that they had no worth, very often unloved or mistreated. I'm with them. It is better to be with each other and loved then to simply conform to life and lead a meaningless existence.

Is this why women become Lesbians? Because they have no worth, are unloved and mistreated? Well, I suppose that I can see turning to Lesbianism, if a woman has had nothing but bad experiences with men.

Of course, women have such nice, soft bodies that jiggle here and there. Who wouldn't like them?

I think that women should be encouraged to enjoy each others bodies--not just women who have had bad experiences with men. You make Lesbians out to be a bunch of pathetic losers.

You can find some translations of some of Sappho's poetry here:

http://www.sappho.com/poetry/sappho.html

About Sappho wrote:
Most commonly the target of her affections was female, often one of the many women sent to her for education in the arts. She nurtured these women, wrote poems of love and adoration to them, and when they eventually left the island to be married, she composed their wedding songs. That Sappho's poetry was not condemned in her time for its homoerotic content (though it was disparaged by scholars in later centuries) suggests that perhaps love between women was not persecuted then as it has been in more recent times.

Sappho had a good life, was honored in ancient Greece, and promoted sexuality between women.