Creating a new species(I'm calling YOU out Fnord)

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

09 Nov 2012, 8:52 pm

Fnord wrote:
We're the apex predators, and THAT makes us more important than animals.



How do you feel about the fact that certain people are trying to create something that will change this? You might think that this is impossible, but if so you are WRONG. And I didn't have enough space in the subject heading to include ruveyn and iamnotaparakeet. I personally am obsessed with turning this dream idea into reality and before you ask for evidence it is currently on the (digital)drawing board and new technology needs to be invented. As for how it would displace humanity as the apex predator, it would be engineered to be more intelligent than the smartest human(s) and would be covertly provided direct access to human technology-specifically out computer networks.



MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Apr 2011
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,022
Location: The Peoples Republic Of Portland

09 Nov 2012, 9:02 pm

knowledge is our liberator as well as our undoing. As carl sagan said, the chances of finding another in this universe to share our existence with may be limited by the principle that all great advanced civilizations destroy themselves. Maybe our intelligence is an evolutionary limiting principle to destroy species who step beyond their intended bounds and if we earthlings attempt to conquer our cosmos, the technologies we create have a 50% chance of also being what destroys us.


_________________
It is not up to you to finish the task, nor are you free to desist from trying.


ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 86
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,502
Location: New Jersey

09 Nov 2012, 9:04 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:
knowledge is our liberator as well as our undoing. As carl sagan said, the chances of finding another in this universe to share our existence with may be limited by the principle that all great advanced civilizations destroy themselves. Maybe our intelligence is an evolutionary limiting principle to destroy species who step beyond their intended bounds and if we earthlings attempt to conquer our cosmos, the technologies we create have a 50% chance of also being what destroys us.


I entertain the notion that humans are just ornery and perverse enough to beat this fate.

We are the Muddle Through Primate Species.

ruveyn



Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 18,177
Location: Aux Arcs

09 Nov 2012, 9:10 pm

I think crocodilians are the apex,they were here before the dinosaurs,they will be here after us.



XFilesGeek
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2010
Age: 39
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 6,031
Location: The Oort Cloud

09 Nov 2012, 9:23 pm

My money's on insects. Particularly..........ants.

Humans are just hairless primates with a penchant for self-flattery.


_________________
"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)


09 Nov 2012, 9:25 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
My money's on insects. Particularly..........ants.

Humans are just hairless primates with a penchant for self-flattery.




Well then, you're going to lose big.



blackelk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2009
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 308
Location: New York

09 Nov 2012, 9:26 pm

That would make us gods. And, even stranger, the creation would be superior to the creator. Or we could just co op it or merge with it somehow.


_________________
"Meaninglessness inhibits fullness of life and is therefore equivalent to illness. Meaning makes a great many things endurable ? perhaps everything.?


XFilesGeek
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2010
Age: 39
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 6,031
Location: The Oort Cloud

09 Nov 2012, 9:41 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
My money's on insects. Particularly..........ants.

Humans are just hairless primates with a penchant for self-flattery.




Well then, you're going to lose big.


Meh.

I don't actually have enough money to lose "big." At most, I'm out $3.56.

Anyway, I'm on your side on this one, buddy. I, for one, am looking forward to you bringing Skynet online and kicking these puny humans in their collective, tail-less bums. My marshmallows are out. Let civilization burn.


_________________
"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)


LKL
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Age: 46
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,402

09 Nov 2012, 10:24 pm

Biologically, we're mid-level omnivores, not apex predators. We're ecologically dominant only because of our technology.



09 Nov 2012, 11:47 pm

LKL wrote:
Biologically, we're mid-level omnivores, not apex predators. We're ecologically dominant only because of our technology.





True, but, what I'm talking about is an artificial creature that is more intelligent than us and has access to all human technology that replaces humanity as the dominant species on earth. IOW: playing God.



MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Apr 2011
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,022
Location: The Peoples Republic Of Portland

10 Nov 2012, 12:16 am

ruveyn wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:
knowledge is our liberator as well as our undoing. As carl sagan said, the chances of finding another in this universe to share our existence with may be limited by the principle that all great advanced civilizations destroy themselves. Maybe our intelligence is an evolutionary limiting principle to destroy species who step beyond their intended bounds and if we earthlings attempt to conquer our cosmos, the technologies we create have a 50% chance of also being what destroys us.


I entertain the notion that humans are just ornery and perverse enough to beat this fate.

We are the Muddle Through Primate Species.

ruveyn


I hope so.

We are already demi-gods. We can already build, create, destroy, and morph nature. We haven't been able to create something from nothing but maybe when our science matures in a few thousand years, we'll be able to. Knowledge will still relegate us to demi-Gods in the future because of the possibility for everything to go wrong or for technology to be misused.


_________________
It is not up to you to finish the task, nor are you free to desist from trying.


ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 86
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,502
Location: New Jersey

10 Nov 2012, 4:15 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:


I hope so.

We are already demi-gods. We can already build, create, destroy, and morph nature. We haven't been able to create something from nothing but maybe when our science matures in a few thousand years, we'll be able to. Knowledge will still relegate us to demi-Gods in the future because of the possibility for everything to go wrong or for technology to be misused.[/quote]

Even G-D had to learn to control Himself. You will notice that there have been no more World Floods and the disgrace of Sodom and 'Amorah has not been repeated.

ruveyn



MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Apr 2011
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,022
Location: The Peoples Republic Of Portland

10 Nov 2012, 4:27 pm

ruveyn wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:

I hope so.

We are already demi-gods. We can already build, create, destroy, and morph nature. We haven't been able to create something from nothing but maybe when our science matures in a few thousand years, we'll be able to. Knowledge will still relegate us to demi-Gods in the future because of the possibility for everything to go wrong or for technology to be misused.


Even G-D had to learn to control Himself. You will notice that there have been no more World Floods and the disgrace of Sodom and 'Amorah has not been repeated.

ruveyn


lol yes. I know.

Interestingly, the text holds that God has tried to make a better world, by giving us a conscience which failed in the case of Cain, and by killing off all the bad people, which failed with the Flood.

The way we treat each other was the sin in the story of Cain, it was the sin in the flood account, and the text explicitly states that it was the sin of Sodom: its mistreatment of strangers. Mistreatment of others is what makes God fume with fury. We should take a hint, but that is what makes God's blood boil.

I do suppose if we could actually become Gods, then we would be indestructible because we would know all that God knew when he created the stars and the heavens as was exposed to Job, and we would have a higher moral reasoning, and thus could control ourselves or practice restraint.


_________________
It is not up to you to finish the task, nor are you free to desist from trying.


Last edited by MarketAndChurch on 10 Nov 2012, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 86
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,502
Location: New Jersey

10 Nov 2012, 5:07 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:
knowledge is our liberator as well as our undoing. As carl sagan said, the chances of finding another in this universe to share our existence with may be limited by the principle that all great advanced civilizations destroy themselves. Maybe our intelligence is an evolutionary limiting principle to destroy species who step beyond their intended bounds and if we earthlings attempt to conquer our cosmos, the technologies we create have a 50% chance of also being what destroys us.


That reminds me of a line that occurs in several gothic horror movies such as Frankenstein.

There are things man was never meant to know, Viktor.

Viktor's response: It's alive! It's alive!

ruveyn



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 57,003
Location: Stendec

10 Nov 2012, 9:38 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
... what I'm talking about is an artificial creature that is more intelligent than us and has access to all human technology that replaces humanity as the dominant species on earth. IOW: playing God.

I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, your proposition is only speculative.


_________________
 
• Veritas Illuminata • Semper Illuminans •


AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2012
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,051
Location: San Jose

11 Nov 2012, 3:33 am

All they would have to do is bring back raptors with a little human DNA tinkering and voila you got raptors with human intelligence![youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTLjOAdckzM&feature=fvwrel[/youtube]


_________________
Your Aspie score is 193 of 200
Your neurotypical score is 40 of 200
You are very likely an aspie
No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList