Page 2 of 11 [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2005, 10:11 am

thechadmaster wrote:
When the Pope speaks ex cathedra he is infallible, and yes i would follw the Vatican to ANY extent!
I dont see anything in the CHurch as "Questionable Dogma" everything happens for a reason. THis reminds me of a song in church that goes:

We Walk by Faith and Not By Sight
No Gracious Words We Hear
Of Him Who Spoke
As None Ever Spoke
But We Believe Him Near

This kind of attitude just absolutely sends chills down my spine I'm afraid...... There's a reason 'they' want you to just shut up and do as you're told you I'm afraid, and its got nothing to do with God or religion...... God gave you a mind and a free will for a reason - to just blissfully toss both out of the window because some git in a pointy hat says so is just terrifying..... I'm sorry mate, but this is the kind of attitude that allows nut jobs to persuade other people to fly planes into things..... :(

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2005, 1:58 pm

Lately I've been researching Deism. I really like it. Deists believe in a higher power, but don't believe in the Bible or other religious texts. It honours intelligence and thinking for yourself. A lot of philosophers were Deists. Actually, Deism is a lot like what duncvis and Ebi were talking about.

If you want more information about it here is a good site: http://www.deism.org/

Young_fogey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Mar 2005, 2:22 pm

Are AS and fundamentalism connected? Sure they are! I know because religion is my special interest and over the past 25 years some fundamentalisms have appealed to and influenced me. Now, like with so much else in my life, I know why!

One thing about Tony Attwood's first book that bothered me was his saying that belief in the supernatural is a symptom of AS and something childish.

He has a point of course - now that I understand AS I don't 'spiritualize' situations as much, blaming demons, bad luck, etc. for explainable things. Just like people know about germs and don't blame directly spiritual forces for diseases. Also I can now avoid the self-righteousness trap - 'this bad thing is happening because everybody else is evil and I'm so good', etc.

But: 1) the spiritual is real and 2) religion is a useful guide to life for AS people just like for normal people.

Religion has some obvious appeal to AS people: it shores up a 'strong moral code' (which Attwood says AS people have), it's a rule book/road map on how to live your life, which some of us find especially comforting, and some of us 'stim' on repetitive, comforting ritual and ceremonial.

Just like for a lot of normal people.

ISTM AS people are either religious like Attwood suggests or from what I can see online a lot are angry/disenchanted with God because of their hard lives, and the scientific types may go in for atheism or agnosticism instead.

But to be an atheist is a kind of faith, even fundamentalism, too!

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2005, 5:59 pm

Deism is the belief that God created us but then left us on our own. That is heresy, God is ever present in each one of us, if you believe that Jesus died on the cross for you, then you have the Holy Spirit. No offense but if we didnt have people like "tafkash' speaking like that, Jesus would have died for nothing, if we did not sin then Jesus would not have had to die for us

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2005, 6:06 pm

Then consider me a heretic. I dislike proselytising intensely - you are entitled to your own beliefs chadmaster, you are not entitled to criticise the beliefs of others. :evil:

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2005, 7:04 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
Deism is the belief that God created us but then left us on our own. That is heresy, God is ever present in each one of us, if you believe that Jesus died on the cross for you, then you have the Holy Spirit. No offense but if we didnt have people like "tafkash' speaking like that, Jesus would have died for nothing, if we did not sin then Jesus would not have had to die for us

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: ............

I'm struggling to come up with a response to this that wouldn't get me banned from the forums (that probably wouldn't be too bad a thing right now actually - I'm not having a terribly good time doing this anymore lately, but anyway)

If God hadn't so comprehensively and idiotically f***ed up creation in the first place, none of us would be bloody well sinning in the first place, would we? :evil:

The real Jesus died on the cross because he was a militaristic freedom fighter who opposed the Romans. The biblical Jesus was a fabrication by the early Church to frankly make themselves a few bob, and to not p*ss off Romans in the process. He didn't die for anybody's sins but his own. :evil:

I don't know if you've got any calendars in your house chadmaster, but they might be worth looking at - you'll find the year is now 2005, not 1638.... Sensible people have evolved past this utter crap now..... :roll: I'm utterly shocked that anyone, no matter how comprehensively brainwashed by this evil, corrupted dogma, can have this kind of attitude. I can sort of understand it from dimble-brained NTs, but we aspies have the minds to see past this garbage! That is one of the very few blessings of aspiedom and you flat out waste it! :roll:

I've said many times before that virtually nothing can offend me, but this BS comes pretty damn close..... :evil:

For crying out bloody loud!! !! !! !! ! :x

Dan
Raven
Raven

20 Mar 2005, 7:36 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
if you believe that

Question #1: Why does God care more about your beliefs than your actions?
Question #2: Is belief even a choice?

thechadmaster wrote:
Jesus died on the cross for you

Question #3: What about Deut. 24:16?

"Parents shall not be put to death for children, nor children be put to death for parents: a person shall be put to death only for his own crime."

Question #4: What's the fate of all the people who never heard of Jesus?

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2005, 7:45 pm

Dan wrote:
Question #1: Why does God care more about your beliefs than your actions?

Because he's obviously a random, mickey-taking fruitcake or something.....

Dan wrote:
Question #2: Is belief even a choice?

Of course not - nobody gets to choose their beliefs....

Dan wrote:
Question #3: What about Deut. 24:16?

Whoah... careful Dan - you're dealing with selectively Biblical misquoting loons here - don't try and take them on at their own game and stoop to their level..... Who fundamentally gives any credence to a single word written in that godforsaken piece of junk anyway? :evil:

Dan wrote:
Question #4: What's the fate of all the people who never heard of Jesus?

They go to hell, obviously - they sinned in their ignorance or something. See question 1.....

kittymom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2005, 7:13 am

thechadmaster wrote:

Deism is simply a catchall for those of us who believe in a god, but without any more specific denomination attached. There is no requirement that a Deist believe in an abandoning god.

Young_fogey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Mar 2005, 12:06 pm

chadmaster, you remind me of me 20 years ago.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2005, 12:24 pm

Wheter any of you accept it or not, Jesus died so that you wouldnt have to.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2005, 1:00 pm

thechadmaster wrote:

....and whether YOU accept it or not, you're brainwashed by evil forces..... :evil: Its because of people just like you that we have crusades, fatwahs, jihads and inquisitions...... God would be terribly disappointed in you......

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2005, 3:06 pm

thechadmaster wrote:

so i wouldn't have to die? er...

anyone else see the slight hitch to this statement?

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2005, 3:18 pm

thechadmaster wrote:

Could you please show me evidence that is not in the Bible? If you can show me that your statement is true, then I might consider it.

Do you realise that historically and in the Bible the people who murdered Jesus (both Pilate and the Pharisees) were fundamentalists? Fundamentalism was exactly what Jesus fought against.

thechadmaster wrote:
Deism is the belief that God created us but then left us on our own.

Some Deists think so, but others don't. I could be considered a Deist, but I don't think God has abandoned us. Personally, I think that God has used certain people throughout time to send us messages. I think Jesus was one of those people. I also think Buddha, Ghandi etc. were also examples of how God wants us to behave. Maybe God even uses people to show us how not to behave (i.e. Hitler, Bush).

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2005, 5:04 pm

TAFKASH wrote:
thechadmaster wrote:

....and whether YOU accept it or not, you're brainwashed by evil forces..... :evil: Its because of people just like you that we have crusades, fatwahs, jihads and inquisitions...... God would be terribly disappointed in you......

What for? Following his laws to the letter?! What evil forces?
God is a forgiving God, never forget that :!:

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2005, 5:05 pm

vetivert wrote:
thechadmaster wrote:

so i wouldn't have to die? er...

anyone else see the slight hitch to this statement?

Die as in got to hell, the penalty for sin is death to hell, Christ is life