Page 11 of 11 [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

tokaia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2005, 6:27 am

I take it as an insult to say that AS and fundie-ism are related. Most of us are the complete opposite of those people. Most (actually, all) fundies that I've met/seen are very sheep-like, closed minded, hypocritical, arrogant, self-righteous, and intolerant.

thechadmaster wrote:
P.S. I believe what the Vatican tells me to believe and i do not question it

What a sad way to go through life, wasting your brain like that... Thats how people stay ignorant/stupid.

thechadmaster wrote:
Saddam Hussein.. they should call him so-dam* insane!

:| :cry: ...Such unnecessary hatred...

thechadmaster wrote:
Wheter any of you accept it or not, Jesus died so that you wouldnt have to.

Can you prove that? Without excuses like "the bible says so" or "the vatican says so"? I mean scientific proof. Cold, hard facts. Not opinions.

thechadmaster wrote:
Bec wrote:
thechadmaster wrote:
God is a forgiving God, never forget that

thechadmaster wrote:
Die as in got to hell, the penalty for sin is death to hell, Christ is life

I'm curious. If God is really forgiving, why does He send people to hell for not believing in Jesus?

You must accept that Jesus died for you, if you deny the Son of God, you will perish.

We must accept, lest we perish? That sounds like a blatant threat to me... Who are YOU to make that call?

:evil: You're spouting rhetoric that reminds me of Hitler and Bush.

TAFKASH wrote:
Sarcastic_Name wrote:
By the way, TAFKASH, not ALL Christian churches demand your money. My church just encourages it if you're a member.

They "encourage" it - I like that :lol:. "Now there's no pressure, really - you don't have to give us your money.... Its strictly your choice.... *cough*youllburninhellifyoudontthough*cough*cough* Like I said... no pressure......." :wink: Listen matey - if the churches, ALL churches, weren't in it for the money and control over your life, there wouldn't be any point in them being there - that simple. They'd all be down the flea market trying to sell you knocked-off watches and mobile phones instead.

It may not be terribly relevant, but I went to a private Baptist school for a year and a half (against my will, let me assure you!) and I noticed the pastor had a Lincoln Town Car, a big, fancy house, and one hell of a hot tub in the back yard just behind the church/school. His wife was always sporting all sorts of gaudy expensive jewelry and he had this little diamond pin on his silk tie that he wore with his expensive looking suits.... And guess who pays for it all? The congregation.

Last edited by tokaia on 15 Aug 2005, 9:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

Smiley
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Aug 2005, 8:28 am

I was brought up in a very fundamentalist christian family. It caused a lot of problems in school as well I think cos i took it all so literally.
I finally managed to make my own decision not to believe it aged 17 - it still bothers me now its so hard to let things go.

tokaia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2005, 9:17 am

TAFKASH wrote:
The only thing you can use the Bible as a reliable foundation for is a wobbly table leg.....

:lol: I actually threw mine in the garbage after ripping it into little pieces to save space in the trash bag. It was taking up space on my bookshelf that could have been used for worthwhile, factual, educational books that didn't make me feel ill to read... Like my field guide collection (I'm a biology nut).

ElfMan wrote:
axelkat wrote:
thechadmaster wrote:
Quote:
teaching sessions for Buddhists, given by the Dalai Lama. Now you may not share his beliefs,
Budda did not die to forgive mankind.

Also, this topic was loked for about a day or so, apparently i pissed alot of people off

Why you talk about buddha like hes nobody, he taught the noble truths. Buddha is my homeboy. You legalists are so full of yourselfs. Your obviously trying to start fights rather accomplish anything whatsoever. Martin Luther was right with his statements as the catholic church looks at the pope as god more then the actual god. i grew up in an irish protestant home. they would rip any nearby catholics to shreds. who do you think your fooling with your nonsense? (edit)
AK

I here buddha calling you to re-sit lessons on right speech right action.
Please refrain from such personally directed profanity...especially while claiming buddha as your homeboy

ElfMan

And while you scold Axelkat for incorrect speech, you can't try not to look bad by checking your spelling, capitalization and punctuation. Sorry, but it is a pet peeve of mine, that one scolds someone else for bad grammar when they, themselves misuse it. Also, I saw no profanity in Axelkat's post. :|

This thread shouldn't be locked. Its good exercise for my debating skills. I enjoy the challenge.

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2005, 11:28 am

OK I don't think I have contributed to this discussion, due to a terrible oversight on my part. I happen to be somewhat of a junkie when it comes to these topics. So here is my two cents. I like to think I have developed a unique perspective that may be helpful to someone.

As Tafkash pointed out, our choices are largely determined by our genetic and cultural circumstances. However someone else noted that we can change the course of our lives, by getting an education for instance. I think these are two very important points.

It seems to me that we find our selves in somewhat of a maze. Or perhaps the self is the maze, or maybe the self is just our guidance system in this maze. We take certain forks in the road based on the dictates of our "self" Some turns are blind alleys or dead ends, and frustrate our efforts.

Religion, or more precisely, dogma purports to know "the way" so if we believe them then we can just follow their directions.
Science on the other hand is like climbing the walls of the maze your self so that you can get a better view of what it really looks like. Thus you can avoid those dead ends. You can also see where you have made mistakes before, and therefore correct for them in the future. In my estimate this comes closer to being what true religions are all about. In the same way that a history of science is not science.

I think on the one hand Aspies are very inquisitive and really want to climb the walls and see for themselves.
On the other hand we can be somewhat rigid at times, and like to have things in black and white. So some people are likely to accept the roadmap given to them if it has proven useful in some way.

Personally, I think that the roadmap must be discarded at some point.
Everyone must "see" for themselves.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2006, 10:03 am

Hey, It's been over a year since the last comment, i have grown up quite a bit, i failed to realize that there are other beliefs ou there. i was childish to force my beliefs on others. i have since given up catholicism and have gone fundamentalist conservative Christian, i was brainwashed.

I aplogize for offending everyone, please forgive me?

Chad :?:

Hazelwudi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2006, 2:41 pm

Frankly, to the body of its adherents, organized religion seems to function as little more than a social club. You have a little "us" to belong to, an outside "them" to vilify and blame, and actually trying to figure out What's Really Going On Here invariably takes a backseat to the tenets of the group... and if you don't go along with these tenets, you are not accepted.

This is why AS people rarely fall into fall into organized religion, I believe. It requires you to deny all logic, in the name of social belongingness. Aspies often have difficulty with the former, and have relatively little concern for the latter.

This makes me wonder what Chad's at... you are an anomaly, you realize this? What do you see in organized religion, Chad? What do you get from it?

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2006, 5:34 pm

The Church isn't necessarily about guilt. It's about realising that no-one is perfect, admitting your mistakes, and being forgiven. This is incredibly supportive and a great help for many people in managing their daily lives.

Christianity CAN provide a good moral framework for people. However, it is also open to a lot of abuse.

The thing that really annoys me is that, apparently, it doesn't matter how good a person you are, you have to "believe" in order to be saved and go to heaven. If there is a God, don't you think he'll be equally happy if you've tried your best to do good, whether you are a Christian, a Buddhist, a Hindu, a Wiccan or whatever?

Also, who says God will only be concerned with the welfare of people? If He created the planet, he'll be looking at the way you treated every aspect of it, not just your fellow humans. Have you respected his creation? Anyone who really believes themselves to be a Christian should also be an environmentalist.

Two Jehovah's Witnesses once told me that the threat of global warning was a sign of impending Armageddon, but if I Believed I'd be saved. How stupid is that? Ok, so you've screwed up the planet, but if you pledge allegiance you'll be saved. Don't bother insulating your house, buying solar panels, driving a small car, eating free-range food or recycling. No, just stick your head in the sand and hope God will bale you out. GGGRRRRRRR.

Hazelwudi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 1:13 am

I feel no guilt. I am precisely as I was designed to be. :P

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 5:11 pm

Hazelwudi wrote:

There is a big difference between feeling no guilt because you're happy with yourself and with your actions, and feeling no guilt because you are egotistical / complacent / unfeeling / very scarily dangerous! "I can do no wrong!" Uh oh! **ALERT**

I think and hope you're the former 8O , otherwise I'm running away now.... :P

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 5:37 pm

Well, since AS is characterized by obsessiveness and knowledge of a certain subject, and fundamentalists tend to be obsessive about their respective religions and know a lot about their respective scriptures, I'd say there's a good chance that a lot of fundamentalists (probably not most of them) have Asperger's Syndrome.

Hazelwudi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 9:12 pm

sociable_hermit wrote:
Hazelwudi wrote:

There is a big difference between feeling no guilt because you're happy with yourself and with your actions, and feeling no guilt because you are egotistical / complacent / unfeeling / very scarily dangerous! "I can do no wrong!" Uh oh! **ALERT**

I think and hope you're the former 8O , otherwise I'm running away now.... :P

*laughs* I'm far too aware of the impermanence of things in general for complacency to be a particular flaw of mine. Which one of the others I am is entirely up for debate. Or perhaps I'm a combination of some of the characteristics you've mentioned? They're not mutually exclusive, you know.

Hell, why not? Evil has better taste in clothing, anyway. Perhaps I should start practicing a properly sinister, sadistic cackle, while I am at it? Not that I would need much practice, I've always been told my normal laugh is very much along those lines. ;)

However, I do have a moral code, ideosyncratic though it is. I've also no shortage of willpower.

So don't worry. :)