Page 3 of 11 [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2005, 5:05 pm

vetivert wrote:
thechadmaster wrote:
Wheter any of you accept it or not, Jesus died so that you wouldnt have to.

so i wouldn't have to die? er...

anyone else see the slight hitch to this statement?

Die as in got to hell, the penalty for sin is death to hell, Christ is life

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2005, 5:26 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
God is a forgiving God, never forget that

thechadmaster wrote:

I'm curious. If God is really forgiving, why does He send people to hell for not believing in Jesus?

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2005, 6:17 pm

I'll see you all in hell then I guess, fellow sinners, apostates, blasphemers and heretics - that is to say almost all of us... I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one. how do you really know what god's laws are, chadmaster? as determined by who - god, or men claiming to know the mind of god? Please take note of this - the next time you call another member a sinner, a heretic or state that they will burn in hell unless they accept that jesus dies for them, I will delete the post and close this discussion. :evil:

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2005, 6:20 pm

Bec wrote:
thechadmaster wrote:

thechadmaster wrote:

I'm curious. If God is really forgiving, why does He send people to hell for not believing in Jesus?

You must accept that Jesus died for you, if you deny the Son of God, you will perish

***ADMIN COMMENT: I have had enough of this inflammatory and intolerant rhetoric. I asked you to stop, as you have refused to do so, this discussion is locked for the time being.

Dunc :x ***

alex
Developer
Developer

21 Mar 2005, 9:58 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
Bec wrote:
thechadmaster wrote:

thechadmaster wrote:

You must accept that Jesus died for you, if you deny the Son of God, you will perish

Most Catholics don't believe this. I'm catholic and I find that what you are stating sounds fundamentalist. I know plenty of priests who are good friends with rabbis, and I know that these catholic priests believe that their rabbi friends won't go to hell.

JustineMarie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Mar 2005, 12:11 am

Catholics don't believe a lot of things that Protestants believe. Actually, my Protestant friends don't believe that Catholics are christians at all! I wanted to give them the history of the Christian Church, but I got 'flustered' and decided to give in.

In my opinion, and I really don't mean to offend, the God that many Protestant groups portray...well...he reminds me of a child. Actually, I think a child is more logical. I do not understand why he would have to send someone to 'die for us' and condemn us to hell if we don't accept 'him' into our hearts...To me, that last part has always sounded like scare tactics. Why couldn't god just tell us ourselves that we were sinners? And if God has a plan- then did he not plan for us all to be sinners?

Not that the Christian religion is completely illogical...Just that the parts of it that people like to use...well...they feel like scare tactics. Christianity is supposed to be about love...but then why does God smite people? Hell is another major scare tactic...And why would such a loving God have his creations burned and tortured for enternity? And why wouldn't God make sure that his doctrine is completely infalliable and without ambiguities? Yes, many believe the bible is infalliable...but that is impossible...and then there are the contradictions...

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2005, 7:21 am

alex wrote:
thechadmaster wrote:
Bec wrote:
thechadmaster wrote:

thechadmaster wrote:

Most Catholics don't believe this. I'm catholic and I find that what you are stating sounds fundamentalist. I know plenty of priests who are good friends with rabbis, and I know that these catholic priests believe that their rabbi friends won't go to hell.

I am a very conservative Catholic, you dont need to be fundamentalist to understand Christs sacrifice, No offense but Catholics must believe this. Had there been no Jesus Christ there would be no Church

Young_fogey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2005, 9:54 am

Quote:
I am a very conservative Catholic, you dont need to be fundamentalist to understand Christs sacrifice, No offense but Catholics must believe this. Had there been no Jesus Christ there would be no Church

1. So am I.

2. But I'm aware of how my religion and my AS interact, and that awareness in no way compromises my faith. (Otherwise you'd have to prove that millions of people over millennia were on the autism spectrum and I don't think anybody can prove that.) Come to think of it that awareness is a gift from God... in the four years I've been fully aware of it, most of the disasters that used to happen to me don't anymore, even though I haven't caught up with normal people and maybe never will.

3. Sorry, chad, but for somebody who knows he's on the spectrum (after all, you're here) you seem blind to your own behaviour and its effect on other people. Most of us are on the spectrum but it's obvious from the postings that we finally have a clue about that stuff and are trying to apply that knowledge to make our lives better... and aren't using our spectrum disorders as an excuse to be rude to people on purpose.

4. Monologuing/ranting at people on a message board isn't going to win anybody for the faith, chad. It'll do exactly the opposite.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2005, 3:08 pm

JustineMarie wrote:
Catholics don't believe a lot of things that Protestants believe. Actually, my Protestant friends don't believe that Catholics are christians at all! I wanted to give them the history of the Christian Church, but I got 'flustered' and decided to give in.

protestants fail to realize that Catholics are the first Christians, St. Peter was the 1st Pope. No offense to protestants, but many of them spend so much time bashing the Catholic Church that they cannot understand their faith.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2005, 3:10 pm

duncvis wrote:
***ADMIN COMMENT: I have had enough of this inflammatory and intolerant rhetoric. I asked you to stop, as you have refused to do so, this discussion is locked for the time being.

Dunc :x ***

Sorry, I didnt know that the truth was inflammatory

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2005, 3:27 pm

Every time religion is passed off as fact... God kills a kitten.

Please, think of the kittens.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2005, 4:25 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
Sorry, I didnt know that the truth was inflammatory

Absolutely correct - the truth isn't inflammatory in the slightest. However, what you spout bears as much resemblence to the truth as my arse does to a hanglider, and is incredibly inflammatory..... :evil: I struggle to constrain myself from expressing my extremely anti-religious views on this site, but I do so in the name of harmony - I suggest you do the same....... :x Believe me, if I let rip with I really think of the likes of you and your kind I wouldn't be around here too much longer..... I don't preach here, and I'm getting a little fatigued by your doing so..... It would be appreciated if you cut it out...... :x You're entitled to express an opinion unmolested - the instant you cross over into your preposterous "this is the truth and you must believe exactly as I do or burn in hell" you frankly lose all such entitlement.....

What kind of a petty, childish, random and outright pathetic God can you people believe in anyway? :roll: Jesus Henghist Christ....... :roll:

echospectra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2005, 7:26 pm

Whoa... dogma is bad?

Quote:
The real Jesus died on the cross because he was a militaristic freedom fighter who opposed the Romans. The biblical Jesus was a fabrication by the early Church to frankly make themselves a few bob, and to not p*ss off Romans in the process. He didn't die for anybody's sins but his own.

Isn't that a dogma?

You remind me of this quote by G. K. Chesterton (one of those intelligent people who do believe the biblical Jesus is the real Jesus):

There are only two kinds of people, those who accept dogmas and know it, and those who accept dogmas and don't know it.

And the idea that nobody gets to choose their beliefs - where did that come from? Is this some sort of logic loop where every determinist believes they had no choice about believing in determinism?

I'm going to quit responding in this thread. I find very little good sense in it.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2005, 8:27 pm

echospectra wrote:
Quote:
The real Jesus died on the cross because he was a militaristic freedom fighter who opposed the Romans. The biblical Jesus was a fabrication by the early Church to frankly make themselves a few bob, and to not p*ss off Romans in the process. He didn't die for anybody's sins but his own.

Isn't that a dogma?

Nope - strong archealogical evidence-backed and very credible theory that I over exaggerated to make a point whilst extremely angry at the time. Jesus may have been a member of Greenpeace, he may have been a soccer yob.... Fact is, we don't really know.... Unlike you Bible-botherers I don't need to invent crap to fill in gaps in my knowledge - I rely on facts and facts alone. I accept that I know some things and don't know others. Its about time you did likewise

echospectra wrote:
You remind me of this quote by G. K. Chesterton (one of those intelligent people who do believe the biblical Jesus is the real Jesus):

There are only two kinds of people, those who accept dogmas and know it, and those who accept dogmas and don't know it.

I don't accept dogma of any kind - again, I know what I know and don't know what I don't know...... What I know I often feel strongly about when people challenge that knowledge - you can interpret that as "dogma" if you wish in order to fashion some means of striking back at me with (or you could just quote some more bumf from a website again..... Can't anybody come up with an original thought of their own on this site..... Jeeeez!! !! :roll:)

echospectra wrote:
And the idea that nobody gets to choose their beliefs - where did that come from? Is this some sort of logic loop where every determinist believes they had no choice about believing in determinism?

BS my friend...... Of course we don't get to choose our beliefs - don't be so patently bloody preposterous..... :roll:

Invidious analogy time: Did you choose your taste in music? Of course not - your musical tastes are a combination of the brain you were born with and the environment you were brought up in. What if I said that you have to like Salsa music to get to heaven? If you'd been born in Cuba you'd be sorted..... I suspect the environment that you grew up in precluded the liking of Salsa..... Therefore, you can't get into heaven for reasons beyond your control. You could pretend to like Salsa to fool me, but God'd still know....

In the same way, I have had no control over the way my belief system has developed in exactly the same way - why should I be denied heaven because of a lack of belief that was utterly beyond my control? Why is your God so utterly petty? Hmmmm?

I believe your pipe would be a suitable place to stick that one matey, after which, do feel free to smoke it....

echospectra wrote:
I'm going to quit responding in this thread. I find very little good sense in it.

Do send me a postcard when you get back to your safe, darkened little room won't you? Oh, and do take the horse you rode in on with you - its causing a frightful mess around here. Ever so kind......

A bloody Christian trying to have a go at me for intransigence of opinion..... NOW I've seen everything! :lol:

This is WAY more fun than gun control...... :lol: Come on then - batter up.... Who's next for a whuppin'? :lol:

ElfMan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2005, 9:06 pm

Tafkash
I hope you never feel sh***y enough to leave because your posts crack me up. Where would this thread be without your intergections (spllng?).
I really like the way your mind works.
Please keep it up while avoiding being booted as you do.

ElfMan

PS chadmaster - look up 'please stop' in every dictionary you can get your hand on.
What the ULTIMATE TRUTH is no-one in their right mind would plead to have a full understanding of.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2005, 9:18 pm

"protestants fail to realize that Catholics are the first Christians, St. Peter was the 1st Pope."

uhm no. the first christians were gnostics, the early (pre-) catholic church persecuted them. 'St Peter was the 1st pope', I suppose that's true but Papacy is not an essential part of, or a definition of christianity. I think an important development in 20th century catholicism, that many catholics fail to apprehend, it that the current pope has agreed (in writing) with Luther, that salvation is by faith alone. This is a huge concession and one that catholics would do well to contemplate.