Page 3 of 11 [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next

Should states be allowed to withdraw from the union if a majority of the state's population agrees?
Yes! 45%  45%  [ 24 ]
No! 21%  21%  [ 11 ]
Oh look, SHEEP! 34%  34%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 53

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 9:31 pm

Janissy wrote:
AProudHillbilly wrote:
The Texas petition is now over 70,000. If Texas secedes, more states will follow suit.

Also, the list is at 34 states now.

That's about enough people to fill a medium sized Texas town. It isn't representative of one of their cities, let alone Texas as a whole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ci ... population

It's a meaningless protest, given how few people it actually represents.

According to the NPR story I posted 18% of Texans favor secession. That seems like a lot to me...

Chaos_Epoch
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Nov 2012, 9:46 pm

I'm from New Zealand... so oh look, SHEEP!

EDIT: and this happens in every election, no one in power will consider it, no state is going to separate. this will all be forgotten in several months. something tells me that

Quote:
thousands of Americans have signed petitions seeking permission for their states to peacefully secede from the United States.
won't do anything.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 10:44 pm

Texas,where men are men and heifers are nervous :twisted:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 5:13 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
abacacus wrote:
Let Texas try first. Just let 'em try.

I give 'em five years before they're conquered by a nation they started a war with and come crying back begging to be accepted as a state again. Tops.

The folks in Texas know damned well that the petition to secede will be denied. It is purely a ploy to make a point in public.

ruveyn

Then if the people in Texas know that secession will be denied, why petition to secede?

Presumably the fact that 33 states have petitioned to secede would be a politically embarrassment to Barak Obama.

ruveyn

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 12:14 pm

This reminds me of the mmorpg I play where after many updates a bunch of people rage and threaten to quit but most of them never do.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 3:11 pm

ruveyn wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
abacacus wrote:
Let Texas try first. Just let 'em try.

I give 'em five years before they're conquered by a nation they started a war with and come crying back begging to be accepted as a state again. Tops.

The folks in Texas know damned well that the petition to secede will be denied. It is purely a ploy to make a point in public.

ruveyn

Then if the people in Texas know that secession will be denied, why petition to secede?

Presumably the fact that 33 states have petitioned to secede would be a politically embarrassment to Barak Obama.

ruveyn

Would 33 states do the same thing had Romney won the election?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 3:16 pm

^ I doubt it. I do think this cartoon explains it best...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 5:02 pm

At last check, there were is now a petition for every state and 900,000 signatures. Still, the act is mainly symbolic.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 5:05 pm

I didn't vote in the poll. I would vote yes, if it was agreed to by EVERYONE in those states, but I'm absolutely sure that none of those states would fit that condition. I feel for the Obama voters in those states. What a case of sour grapes, the worst in history for US voters. These are people who are supposedly patriots and like how the system works - oops! Except when it doesn't work in their favor. They don't want a republic or a democracy. They don't want freedom. They want ME ME ME, MY WAY OR THROW IT ALL AWAY.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 5:27 pm

SpiritBlooms wrote:
I didn't vote in the poll. I would vote yes, if it was agreed to by EVERYONE in those states, but I'm absolutely sure that none of those states would fit that condition. I feel for the Obama voters in those states. What a case of sour grapes, the worst in history for US voters. These are people who are supposedly patriots and like how the system works - oops! Except when it doesn't work in their favor. They don't want a republic or a democracy. They don't want freedom. They want ME ME ME, MY WAY OR THROW IT ALL AWAY.

I think some of the voters of the 1860 election might have been a wee bit worse...

Just sayin'....

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 5:58 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
SpiritBlooms wrote:

I think some of the voters of the 1860 election might have been a wee bit worse...

Just sayin'....
I hope so, but I've seen how some Tea Party members online - and even some acquaintances - talk about civil war. It's pretty scary at the moment. Either they'll settle down, or they won't. It's the worst I've seen it in my lifetime, that's for sure.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 7:34 pm

It's funny how the red state super patriots for America talk about secession.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 12:16 am

I would love to see my state secede from this country. That would be one of the best things that could happen.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 12:46 am

noxnocturne wrote:
I would love to see my state secede from this country. That would be one of the best things that could happen.

What state do you live in?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 9:11 am

www.msn.com

Austin wants to secede from Texas now. :lol:

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

15 Nov 2012, 1:02 pm

Fluffy sheep...