Shall we leave anorexic women to starve to death?

Page 3 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

cave_canem
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 14 Nov 2009
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 378
Location: Canada

15 Nov 2012, 4:39 pm

robo37 wrote:
Afterall, they should apparently have the right to do whatever they want with their body.

And doctors or physiatrists shouldn't talk to them either, because of course that would be influencing their right to choose.

:lol:


Sure...
Unless they're pregnant. In that case, we need to force feed them so the fetus isn't harmed.

Men can do whatever they want, whenever.

Riiiiiiiiiiiight? :roll: get over it



ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2012
Age: 116
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,972

15 Nov 2012, 5:00 pm

cave_canem wrote:
robo37 wrote:
Afterall, they should apparently have the right to do whatever they want with their body.

And doctors or physiatrists shouldn't talk to them either, because of course that would be influencing their right to choose.

:lol:


Sure...
Unless they're pregnant. In that case, we need to force feed them so the fetus isn't harmed.

Men can do whatever they want, whenever.

Riiiiiiiiiiiight? :roll: get over it


Harming the fetus isn't the issue: it is aborting the fetus.



unduki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2011
Age: 61
Gender: Female
Posts: 652

15 Nov 2012, 5:03 pm

Do men ever get it?



abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Apr 2007
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,380

15 Nov 2012, 5:10 pm

ruveyn wrote:
hanyo wrote:
robo37 wrote:
Afterall, they should apparently have the right to do whatever they want with their body.


Yes and we should let people kill themselves too.

?


As long as they present to danger to the public in doing to. For people who want to jump off from a high place we should provide jumping areas which are safe to the general public. We don't want falling bodies to land on innocent people.

ruveyn


Yep. If someone wants to kill themselves, I think the same as people with anorexia. Ofeer help, and if they want said help give them all they need... if they don't want, let 'em die.


_________________
A shot gun blast into the face of deceit
You'll gain your just reward.
We'll not rest until the purge is complete
You will reap what you've sown.


robo37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2009
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 497

15 Nov 2012, 5:26 pm

unduki wrote:
Do men ever get it?


Okay, let's say gender carries weight on our opinions.

What's your say to the 44% of woman who are against the abortion law?



abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Apr 2007
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,380

15 Nov 2012, 5:27 pm

robo37 wrote:
unduki wrote:
Do men ever get it?


Okay, let's say gender carries weight on our opinions.

What's your say to the 44% of woman who are against the abortion law?


Don't get an abortion and leave the majority the hell alone.


_________________
A shot gun blast into the face of deceit
You'll gain your just reward.
We'll not rest until the purge is complete
You will reap what you've sown.


puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Apr 2010
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,777
Location: Cottonopolis

15 Nov 2012, 5:40 pm

robo37 wrote:
unduki wrote:
Do men ever get it?


Okay, let's say gender carries weight on our opinions.

What's your say to the 44% of woman who are against the abortion law?


I say they're wrong. Both genders are capable of being wrong.

She was asking if men were capable of being right on this issue. I think they are, sometimes.



robo37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2009
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 497

16 Nov 2012, 2:34 am

puddingmouse wrote:
robo37 wrote:
unduki wrote:
Do men ever get it?


Okay, let's say gender carries weight on our opinions.

What's your say to the 44% of woman who are against the abortion law?


I say they're wrong. Both genders are capable of being wrong.

She was asking if men were capable of being right on this issue. I think they are, sometimes.


One clear sign that someone has run out of legitimate arguments - "Your opinion is wrong".



puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Apr 2010
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,777
Location: Cottonopolis

16 Nov 2012, 3:13 am

robo37 wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
robo37 wrote:
unduki wrote:
Do men ever get it?


Okay, let's say gender carries weight on our opinions.

What's your say to the 44% of woman who are against the abortion law?


I say they're wrong. Both genders are capable of being wrong.

She was asking if men were capable of being right on this issue. I think they are, sometimes.


One clear sign that someone has run out of legitimate arguments - "Your opinion is wrong".


I wasn't going to argue with you because it would take too much of my emotional resources up. That's not me trying to look superior, it is genuinely too upsetting to argue about.



LKL
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Age: 44
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,402

16 Nov 2012, 5:19 am

It is appropriate to intervene against someone's will when their behavior is the result of a disordered mental condition; it is not appropriate to intervene against someone's will when they are adults in their right minds.



16 Nov 2012, 6:40 am

LizNY wrote:
Hhmmmmm...I don't see how abortion is related to anorexia. I wasn't aware prolifers had a political stake in anorexia as well.


It's not. They don't. Bad analogy, robo.


MarketAndChurch: It doesn't matter if the anorexic people you know aren't irrational by your perception. Anorexia is the result of abnormal thought patterns that are not within the sufferers control. You make the same mistake that ruveyn makes in assuming that free will, IF it exists, has totality and immutability.



ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 84
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,502
Location: New Jersey

16 Nov 2012, 11:28 am

AspieRogue wrote:
LizNY wrote:
Hhmmmmm...I don't see how abortion is related to anorexia. I wasn't aware prolifers had a political stake in anorexia as well.


It's not. They don't. Bad analogy, robo.


MarketAndChurch: It doesn't matter if the anorexic people you know aren't irrational by your perception. Anorexia is the result of abnormal thought patterns that are not within the sufferers control. You make the same mistake that ruveyn makes in assuming that free will, IF it exists, has totality and immutability.


Then you propose to exert YOUR will over others rather than let their will (be it ever so weak) to control their actions?

ruveyn



16 Nov 2012, 11:53 am

ruveyn wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
LizNY wrote:
Hhmmmmm...I don't see how abortion is related to anorexia. I wasn't aware prolifers had a political stake in anorexia as well.


It's not. They don't. Bad analogy, robo.


MarketAndChurch: It doesn't matter if the anorexic people you know aren't irrational by your perception. Anorexia is the result of abnormal thought patterns that are not within the sufferers control. You make the same mistake that ruveyn makes in assuming that free will, IF it exists, has totality and immutability.


Then you propose to exert YOUR will over others rather than let their will (be it ever so weak) to control their actions?

ruveyn





Being a form of OCD, anorexia nervosa complete subverts the will. They are not making a decision to do it, they are compelled to starve themselves and they cannot control it. Don't you get it? Will power = PSEUDOSCIENCE! Brains make minds, and a compulsion is a feedback loop in the brain that exerts control over executive function and decision making.



ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 84
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,502
Location: New Jersey

16 Nov 2012, 12:28 pm

AspieRogue wrote:



Being a form of OCD, anorexia nervosa complete subverts the will. They are not making a decision to do it, they are compelled to starve themselves and they cannot control it. Don't you get it? Will power = PSEUDOSCIENCE! Brains make minds, and a compulsion is a feedback loop in the brain that exerts control over executive function and decision making.


I make choices every day and follow through with them. My own experiences is that I have the power to choose what I do.

Maybe you don't.

ruveyn



16 Nov 2012, 12:32 pm

ruveyn wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:



Being a form of OCD, anorexia nervosa complete subverts the will. They are not making a decision to do it, they are compelled to starve themselves and they cannot control it. Don't you get it? Will power = PSEUDOSCIENCE! Brains make minds, and a compulsion is a feedback loop in the brain that exerts control over executive function and decision making.


I make choices every day and follow through with them. My own experiences is that I have the power to choose what I do.

Maybe you don't.

ruveyn



Well clearly you neither have OCD nor have you ever managed to get yourself addicted to drugs. Try snorting cocaine for at least 30 days(enough to get you high) and see if you can quit cold turkey. As for me, for me I have the power to choose what I do about 90% of the time. Free will is the ability to make a decision free of any constraints. But science has shown that there are constraints on our ability to make decisions; and one of those is the regional chemistry of our brains.



LizNY
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 13 Nov 2012
Age: 42
Gender: Female
Posts: 245

16 Nov 2012, 1:04 pm

Well for myself as a recovered anorexic.....I would say at that point in my life I felt intensely overwhelmed by everything. All of my anxieties were projected onto food as a way to cope with things my brain could not handle. I got out of it when things in my life improved and I no longer felt like a trapped animal being poked with a stick. Free from the things that previously tormented me, having an eating disorder started to feel like a prison in and of itself.

Perhaps think of things in your daily life routine that are technically not necissary but are done for emotional and psychological reasons? Done as a way to rebalance after feeling immensely overwhelmed? What aspects of your day would cause you to totally lose it if someone took them away?