Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 1:31 am

Chortles

Sylkat :lol:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 1:35 am

Now, is it for certain that Hostess is done for?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 1:49 am

Pretty much, they did the legal filing to finalize the process I think.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 2:02 am

That's too bad. I grew up with Hostess, and I just assumed they'd be around for my daughter's lifetime, as well.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 4:31 am

I got the sense that the union knew it was risking its jobs, but had reached that point where it seemed better to have to find a different job than accept the terms and conditions being offered. I wasn't hearing a lot of tears in the quotes from the union workers. But who knows how representative the sample I've read is.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 4:36 am

My wife had read that the workers had thought the union had sold them out. But you know, you've made a very valid point. The reduced pay and benefits might have been enough to make the union members to risk it. Just something for companies to think about.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 10:36 am

The reduced pay and benefits was the result of a bankruptcy court decision, the company couldn't afford to pay people any more money. Teamsters Union recognized that fact, while the bakers union simply didn't care.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 11:05 am

Inuyasha wrote:
The reduced pay and benefits was the result of a bankruptcy court decision, the company couldn't afford to pay people any more money. Teamsters Union recognized that fact, while the bakers union simply didn't care.

And thus, union members will lose their jobs. A clear illustration of how reactionary and destructive labor unions can be. A union can be a good thing, provide its members and management are not overcome by lust, corruption and greed.

ruveyn

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 11:12 am

ruveyn wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

And thus, union members will lose their jobs. A clear illustration of how reactionary and destructive labor unions can be. A union can be a good thing, provide its members and management are not overcome by lust, corruption and greed.

ruveyn

Yeah, I am making the distinction between Unions here because 2 unions were involved, but it was only one of the unions that was responsible and the Bakers union also blindsided Teamsters by not informing them that they were planning to strike.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 11:44 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
That's too bad. I grew up with Hostess, and I just assumed they'd be around for my daughter's lifetime, as well.

There's enough preservatives in them if you stock up now they will remain fresh for years,you daughter can still enjoy them.
They may freeze well.
Has there been a run on them yet?Riots over the LAST pack of twinkes?
Civil unrest on the horizon. :lol:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 1:07 pm

The kid is back!

Yes, Hostess had to deal with more than one union, but it took only one union to bring down Hostess.

"Live Better / Work Union" == B U L L S N O T ! ! !

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 1:14 pm

Well there goes the "Twinkie" defense,dang it,I was planning on using that someday. :twisted:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 1:28 pm

The "Gluten Defense" has always worked for me.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 1:37 pm

^^^^I'll keep that in mind but usually the I.B.S. is so bad with gluten indulgence I'm incapacitated and unable to commit mayhem. :lol:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 4:31 pm

Fnord wrote:
The kid is back!

Yes, Hostess had to deal with more than one union, but it took only one union to bring down Hostess.

"Live Better / Work Union" == B U L L S N O T ! ! !

In most cases, unions do in fact provide a better life for workers. I know from personal experience, as I grew up in a union household.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 6:16 pm

Tallahassee must be freaking out.

You will reap what you've sown.