Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 2:21 am

1. Where did you get your religious beliefs?
2. Do you think that your religion is better than all the other religions that existed and exist?

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Amo

02 Dec 2012, 2:23 am

1. Cīvitātem Vāticānam.
2. Nōn.

AutisticBelle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Dec 2012, 2:29 am

Mostly from my parents and also from research, when I was older.
I don't really know. I think its better than some, like satanism, but I never really gave it much thought.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 3:41 am

1. I cannot trace them back to any definite time, or any definite source. I feel like they have always been part of me.
2. No, I don't, but religious diversity is perplexing. I don't know why there are many "true" religions, from the point of view of their adherents. In this respect it's easier to understand the existence of, say, some new-age quasi-religions like wicca which shouldn't be called religions at all, but some kind of protest movements.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 8:46 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
2. Do you think that your religion is better than all the other religions that existed and exist?

For most people religious belief and practice is learned behavior acquired from family and close community.

For a few it is based on a delusion that god or some spirit being has spoken to them or possessed them.

ruveyn

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 1:40 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

Tradition, my family, the culture around me, and my own reading.

Quote:

No, but it is satisfactory for me. I have no desire to impose my beliefs on others, or to have theirs shoved down my throat.

frostbite
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Dec 2012, 5:48 pm

This a good thread. I got my religion from my parents. But I'm not sure about how much I believe at this point. I think that there are some basic criteria that make a good religion. Religions are good because they create a united identity for like minded individuals. They often generate wonderful traditions like Christmas or other holidays in which families gather to celebrate. Religious movements are often very charitable and beneficial. Most religions teach basic kindness to your fellow humans (I HOPE). Religions are not good when they exclude/target certain groups like homosexuals. It is bad when they encourage harming your fellow humans. Religions are not good when they become rigid and oppress their members. So the best religion would be the one with the happiest holidays, and an identity that it's members can be proud of. The best religion would be the least oppressive and the most welcoming to all members of humanity. That is the religion I would join :D

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 8:15 pm

1.) Parents, studies, experiences

2.) I believe that religion is up to the individual believer and as long as the religion doesn't teach murder and death it's ok.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 9:35 pm

1. Direct experience of meditation, Zen teachers and a cat licking a puddle.
2. No.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 11:51 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

From a dedicated application of reason and logic.

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

I have no religion.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Prud
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Dec 2012, 1:29 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

I have never had any, but my parents and teachers used to tell me I was Church of England, this confused me right from the start as I am Welsh, so my critical questioning started at a very young age.

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

I do not have a religion but as it says CofE on my birth certificate I would say the Church of England is not that bad considering it was set up just so a King could get divorced and can actively discriminate against women bishops even though the head of the church is the Queen. For me it is the personification of hypocrisy that makes up the foundation of all religions.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 2:47 am

Church and Bible.

I believe that mine is right for me and that those seeking God or Goddess or The Divine will find the path that they are meant to follow.

Sylkat

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 2:54 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS323LCP2QI[/youtube][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptmNd9fp_5Q[/youtube][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPOfurmrjxo[/youtube]Former Christian now athiest.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 8:10 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

Initially, from my mother's teaching (my father being a non-religious Catholic except for at the end of his life after he developed lung cancer), then from reading the Bible on my own (I spent 5 years because I read every book slowly, actually reading rather than skimming for answers like public school and college students), then from questioning my beliefs and considering continuity of evolutionary data versus archeological and historicity evidence in support of the Bible as well the cases of starlight transit times versus a possible explanation from general relativity during the initial creation of the universe. I think the case for intelligent design is strong and the case for the Bible's historicity is strong, hence my beliefs.

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

I believe that my beliefs are true, and as such those with beliefs in opposition would hold false beliefs. Show me anyone who does not consciously or subconsciously believe and act upon that belief though.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 8:35 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
I believe that my beliefs are true, and as such those with beliefs in opposition would hold false beliefs. Show me anyone who does not consciously or subconsciously believe and act upon that belief though.

Moi.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 8:39 am

ArrantPariah wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Moi.

So, you don't believe that your beliefs are true, and as such those with beliefs in opposition would hold false beliefs? I don't believe you.