Page 6 of 9 [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 11:42 am

You don't get many dates, do you Clucky?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 11:55 am

Dear Clucky,
Read what else I wrote.
I do not EXPECT special treatment,but if men show it I respect their gesture.And I have given male friends flowers,as a guy told me once,"men like to get flowers too",
I treat people of both sexes with dignity,the way I want to be treated.
And men were more protective of women in the past.Why?Because of the fact that with not really any good birth control any woman of child bearing age stood a good chance of being in the early stages of pregnancy.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 12:40 pm

Clucky wrote:
You're absolutely right, there is an abundance of sexism towards men today in the media and from women.
It's repulsive that women think of this "as a joke" yet any sexist joke towards them, or any sexist act and the man "is considered a pig and is heavily criticized.
This hypocrisy is very prevalent in a lot of women today.

You really need to study a lot more history.

Women have been treated like property and refuse for many centuries and most still are. They think it's a joke because men who can't take it are generally ignorant of the aforementioned fact.

Sexism toward men? Please, spare me. Go study history.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

25 Nov 2012, 1:09 pm

Fnord wrote:

There's a lot more to chivalry than good manners and opening doors and pulling out chairs for women, kiddo..........But I guess you're too old to really be able to learn that.

I am chivalrous from time to time when the occasion calls for it, but chivalry is not enough to seal the deal when it comes to getting her in the sack or getting her to say "yes" when you give her the ring.

25 Nov 2012, 1:25 pm

MrXxx wrote:

Women have been treated like property and refuse for many centuries and most still are. They think it's a joke because men who can't take it are generally ignorant of the aforementioned fact.

Sexism toward men? Please, spare me.Go study history.

Been there, done that, don't care. The past is the PAST and unless said women were personally were treated that way, the world doesn't owe them jack. Chivalry had a purpose, but it's outdated and should be supplanted by good manners and civility towards everyone(who behaves the same way in return). If you feel guilty about being male, that's your problem because quite frankly, I don't.

Also, most women in this world who do not live in places where there are religious governments are NOT treated like property. These historic women who were treated as chattel are quite Dead.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 1:32 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
MrXxx wrote:

Been there, done that, don't care. The past is the PAST and unless said women were personally were treated that way, the world doesn't owe them jack. Chivalry had a purpose, but it's outdated and should be supplanted by good manners and civility towards everyone(who behaves the same way in return). If you feel guilty about being male, that's your problem because quite frankly, I don't.

Also, most women in this world who do not live in places where there are religious governments are NOT treated like property. These historic women who were treated as chattel are quite Dead.

Right. I was expecting this.

Some need to study the present as well. Inequality and abuse are not restricted to countries with religious governments. The past, sadly, is not only the past, it is also the present. Not that things are not better than they used to be in many places mind you, but they are far from equal anywhere.

BTW: I you think I'm defending chivalry, you're way off the mark. I'm neither defending nor refuting it.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

25 Nov 2012, 1:48 pm

MrXxx wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
MrXxx wrote:

Right. I was expecting this.

Some need to study the present as well. Inequality and abuse are not restricted to countries with religious governments. The past, sadly, is not only the past, it is also the present. Not that things are not better than they used to be in many places mind you, but they are far from equal anywhere.

Well where I am, they have become unequal in women's favor despite the vociferous denial of the left. All the evidence suggests that Aspie Men have less civil rights than NT women(regardless of what color these women are). I won't deny that women in Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia are treated as 2nd class citizens, but there is no evidence of women being oppressed in Western Europe and the Anglosphere(except perhaps Australia to some extent).

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 1:50 pm

I think that instead of examining this 70-year-old man's behavior, it would behoove some on this thread to examine themselves and the basis of their anger toward women. Some of the things described may be true of some women, and I know there are women who claim to want to be equal yet demand special treatment. They are not all women, never have been, never will be. Look into your past and find that woman who treated you that way, and remind yourself she's not all women. Really, you'd be doing yourself a big favor.

25 Nov 2012, 1:51 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Dear Clucky,
Read what else I wrote.
I do not EXPECT special treatment,but if men show it I respect their gesture.And I have given male friends flowers,as a guy told me once,"men like to get flowers too",
I treat people of both sexes with dignity,the way I want to be treated.
And men were more protective of women in the past.Why?Because of the fact that with not really any good birth control any woman of child bearing age stood a good chance of being in the early stages of pregnancy.

In that case you appreciate chivalry, but do not feel *entitled* to it(unlike OliveOilMom who stated openly that she does).

As far as men liking flowers is concerned, if you wanna get me flowers, get me some voodoo lillies and a corpse flower(if you can afford it). 8)

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 1:53 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
All the evidence suggests that Aspie Men have less civil rights than NT women(regardless of what color these women are).

When did this discussion suddenly become a debate about Aspie Men versus NT women?

Changing the subject just a bit aren't we?

Clucky
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Nov 2012, 3:34 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Clucky wrote:
You're absolutely right, there is an abundance of sexism towards men today in the media and from women.
It's repulsive that women think of this "as a joke" yet any sexist joke towards them, or any sexist act and the man "is considered a pig and is heavily criticized.

No I don't - I'm well aware of the sexism towards women, and it's still a problem today, but that doesn't give women the right to be sexist towards men. Sexism is wrong. Period.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 4:07 pm

Clucky wrote:
MrXxx wrote:
Clucky wrote:

No I don't - I'm well aware of the sexism towards women, and it's still a problem today, but that doesn't give women the right to be sexist towards men. Sexism is wrong. Period.
But how, in your example, was the woman being sexist?

Clucky wrote:
I got the train home one evening and a man around the age of 70 offered his seat to a 20 year old woman.
He solely did this because she was a woman.
Do you think this kind of behavior is acceptable? After all, if we want equality we should oppose a demeaning act like this.

By not calling the older man on it? Are women supposed to not only not be sexist but to correct others' behavior? As someone said earlier, that's getting into the realm of thought police. I don't do that. I afford each person the ability to think and act for themselves as long as they're harming no one. The man was being KIND. Maybe he was also being sexist, I don't know. But he wasn't groping her breasts or calling her "babe" or anything like that, as far as we can tell from your description. He was simply being kind - to a woman, oh my god! We are not even clear, because you didn't specify, how you know he did it solely because she was female. (ETA: We also have no information on what her thinking was in accepting the seat.) Yet you think she was being sexist?

ETA: Here's one scenario to consider: She could have been a waitress in his favorite diner and he knew she had been on her feet all day. She was so tired she couldn't bring herself to turn down the chance to sit. But we don't know, do we, and it seems pointless to me to jump to conclusions - especially such judgmental ones - about an apparent act of kindness.

Last edited by SpiritBlooms on 25 Nov 2012, 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 4:11 pm

MrXxx wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
All the evidence suggests that Aspie Men have less civil rights than NT women(regardless of what color these women are).
When did this discussion suddenly become a debate about Aspie Men versus NT women? Changing the subject just a bit aren't we?

What I want to know is...

AspieRogue wrote:
Fnord wrote:
There's a lot more to chivalry than good manners and opening doors and pulling out chairs for women, kiddo ... But I guess you're too old to really be able to learn that.

... when did this discussion suddenly become an issue of AspieRogue vs. everyone else?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 4:40 pm

I think it was sweet of the old man to offer his seat to the young woman. In his generation this is just good manners. Had I been the woman in question, I couldn't have accepted the seat though. He is elderly and it would be harder for him to stand.

Holding doors open is just politeness - I hold the door for both men and women.

As to chivalry itself, I think we have moved beyond the necessity for it. It was more appropriate to a time when women were more vulnerable and less able to take care of themselves. Societal changes have made it no longer necessary.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 4:47 pm

Being nice to others will never go out of style.

Sometimes I'm not very stylish, though...

25 Nov 2012, 4:50 pm

Fnord wrote:
Being nice to others will never go out of style.

Nice guys finish last, brah.