[UK] Now disabled are forced into mandatory work

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 2:06 pm

thomas81 wrote:
most conventional workplaces are bad for aspies in one way or another. Whether its a nosy factory or a shop floor dealing with customers where you have to watch your airs and graces lest you offend someone.

Excuse me sir. Are you adverse to being polite. Even Temple Grandin in her books praises the utility of good manners and washing regularly.

ruveyn

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 2:07 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

Could you do piece work like sorting or stuffing envelopes quietly at home?

ruveyn

I imagine I could do that much more effectively than working in a factory....thing is not sure work like that pays a living wage. That sounds more like something to do for a little extra money not a way to make a living. However this thread is not about what kind of work I can or cannot do, I was just pointing out that sensory issues and slow processing of information could make factory work a bad idea for a high functioning aspie.

Wage is the biggest problem. I don't have much in the way of auditory issues, so factory work is great for me.... but living off the wage is next door to impossible.

You will reap what you've sown.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 2:12 pm

thomas81 wrote:
most conventional workplaces are bad for aspies in one way or another. Whether its a nosy factory or a shop floor dealing with customers where you have to watch your airs and graces lest you offend someone.

This is the point i'm making about how autistics are marginalised at work and sort of ties in with my other thread about autistics in politics, and why we need to make a break from NT society. Its not just that we would be better leaders, its a civil rights issue at heart.

Some shops are ok.....like headshops, but then they aren't exactly 'conventional' workplaces as far as I can tell.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 2:27 pm

abacacus wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

Could you do piece work like sorting or stuffing envelopes quietly at home?

ruveyn

I imagine I could do that much more effectively than working in a factory....thing is not sure work like that pays a living wage. That sounds more like something to do for a little extra money not a way to make a living. However this thread is not about what kind of work I can or cannot do, I was just pointing out that sensory issues and slow processing of information could make factory work a bad idea for a high functioning aspie.

Wage is the biggest problem. I don't have much in the way of auditory issues, so factory work is great for me.... but living off the wage is next door to impossible.

Yeah that is why I just don't think its a very good policy.....I mean ok great so get the disabled working menial labor for next to nothing, do they still get financial help for all the expenses the menial factory labor won't cover? Or are they to just try and get by on sh*t wages while dealing with the disability? I mean sure it does not effect me as I am not in the U.K but still seems like a bad idea for people there with disabilities.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 2:32 pm

ruveyn wrote:
thomas81 wrote:

Excuse me sir. Are you adverse to being polite. Even Temple Grandin in her books praises the utility of good manners and washing regularly.

ruveyn

its not a manners or even a politeness issue. Its a problem between the NT and autism conversational processes. NTs have the tendency to be unintentionally offended by autistic behaviours and personality tendencies.

Autistics like myself are often blind to the social nuances of having to display tact when dealing with emotional people in an awkward situation for example. Cold hard facts and company policy trumps all. That is my coping mechanism. Im not necessarilly rude to people; i just have a to the point don't-suffer-fools-gladly approach. It rubs an awful lot of people up the wrong way and as a result, i'm not particulary successful at what i do.

Or another case could be as follows- The customer asks an abstract or non specific question which throws off the autistic worker. The worker panics and says something which offends the customer. The customer complains which results in the worker being disciplined/prohibited in applying for promotion for x months/years or being made redundant.

Its especially hard whenever there is computers involved eg. at a call centre. Customers can get twitchy when having to wait for response due to a laggy computer. Autistics have difficulty 'filling in the gaps' and making small talk.

I work in relevant industry and have experienced it first hand.

Last edited by thomas81 on 01 Dec 2012, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 2:40 pm

thomas81 wrote:

Or another case could be as follows- The customer asks an abstract or non specific question which throws off the autistic worker. The worker panics and says something which offends the customer. The customer complains which results in the worker being disciplined/prohibited in applying for promotion for x months/years or being made redundant.

That hypothetical autistic worker has been placed in the wrong job. One would not hire a 100 pound weakling to carry around 80 pound bags of cement all day.

ruveyn

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 2:42 pm

ruveyn wrote:
thomas81 wrote:

That hypothetical autistic worker has been placed in the wrong job. One would not hire a 100 pound weakling to carry around 80 pound bags of cement all day.

ruveyn

absolutely my point- the thing is though, often these companies are converging en masse onto a particular place to the point its the only place where you can readilly get work.

Northern Ireland is becoming the India of western Europe. To make matters worse, these bastards help themselves to government funds that are intentionally set aside for smaller start up businesses through setting up superflouous internal 'training courses' which the european development fund pays for. Then when a start up businessperson goes to access help, there is nothing left.

Last edited by thomas81 on 01 Dec 2012, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 2:43 pm

ruveyn wrote:
thomas81 wrote:

ruveyn

I want a job carrying 80 pound bags of cement all day. Then I'd not have to recreationally lift weights as much.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 2:45 pm

ruveyn wrote:
thomas81 wrote:

ruveyn

The nuances of workplace politics can be a bit more complicated than simply being polite and presentable. Unlike NT's, aspies tend to like following the rules to the letter for instance. Depending on the circumstances this can get you fired. The reality is a bad manager can come up with stupid or unpopular rules that your colleagues won't always follow and it's not a good idea to get on their case, especially when you don't have a higher rank or seniority status to them. Plus, if your job is to deal with customers you'll occasionally come across a really rude or irate customer that decides to take s**t out on you and you're expected to suck it up because no matter how unfair it is if you push back you're putting your job on the line.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 3:27 pm

I tried to work in the public twice,at a restaurant.I lasted about 6 months each time.I never mixed up an order,I was great at remembering who had what but the stress of talking to people on a daily fried my brain.Plus smells and noises.
I'm trying to think of a way to generate income at home,I like to garden and I have a huge garden spot plus fruit trees.I've considered growing organic veggies.But we've had major drought issues the last two years,so that hasn't worked out too good.And if I get in a bad depression I doubt I could even get much done here at home.
I wish I could think of something I could do here at the house,maybe next year we will get rain.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 4:00 pm

In the olden days, they had workhouses for the poor, elderly and disabled.

In today's job market, a lot of us just wouldn't be hired. As for putting us away to sort mail for the Post Office: the Post Office has machines that can sort quickly and easily. Of course, the government could subsidize the substitution of capital back for labour, or postage costs could just go up. But, people would complain about that, too.

Sure, we can all be Walmart greeters, and creep people out as they enter the store.

Utnapishtim
Raven
Raven

01 Dec 2012, 5:22 pm

abacacus wrote:
Wage is the biggest problem.

It is, especially when we in the UK have had a Tory MP (Philip Davies) state in a Commoms debate; that the disabled should work for less than the national minimum wage.

Almighty_CRJ
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Dec 2012, 8:45 pm

ruveyn wrote:
"Disabled" does not mean disabled from, ALL kinds of work. A person with no legs might not make a good postman, but he can sort the mail.

Not for Royal Mail, he couldn't. Non automated mail sorting is a standing job, which also involves fetching & carrying. It's done by postmen before their rounds.

ColdEyesWarmHeart wrote:
There was a Government-run company called Remploy which employed only disabled workers.They closed it down last year.

I did a placement in one factory making furniture. Lovely place, fantastic people. It simply didn't get enough orders to go private.

One of the prides of the welfare state, shut down by the government to save a handful of million pounds. Literally, someone calculated the banks are losing the UK more per year than Remploy ever could.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 8:59 pm

It seems the biggest problems jobs are having now is most places that do online applications (which is any big chain, really) are including psychological evaluations/VERY extensive preemployment questionnaires. I tend to fail those.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 9:28 pm

thomas81 wrote:

Quote:
Its a problem between the NT and autism conversational processes.

Ah yes, I know that stumbling block well. For when I have to deal with clients I turn to polite but bland professionalism. For me when I’ve tried anything else sooner or later I tend to end up sh!tting all over them without even knowing I’m doing it.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 7:48 am

The British government remains committed to a Reserve Army of Labour in order to fight inflation, so I have to only guess that they are trying to have it both ways by dragooning that Reserve Army into corvee labour and to use this to put more downward pressure on wages in much of the rest of the economy.