Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 11:26 pm

I have no problem with defending myself if a women is attacking me. However, people think I am a douchebag for this. Can anyone explain why? They can use the "they're weaker" argument all they want, but if it's true then women should just know not to hit first.

Hell, they even get away with a lot of other things guys shouldn't. Is there even such a thing as gender equality

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

NAKnight
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2012, 11:41 pm

If a man, or a woman directly attacked me, I have all the constitutional right to defend myself (If it means hitting back, using a gun if neccessary)
I'm basing that on US laws, European laws may be different.

There is such a thing called Gender Equality; It's Nudism.

Best Regards,

Jake

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 11:44 pm

Nudism, haha. So true...

I just find this social stigma against hitting women to be moronic and really hypocritical considering guys had no problem beating their women a few decades ago. It was wrong, but it's as if it is a climate of guilt that inspired it.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

NAKnight
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2012, 11:48 pm

I just find this social stigma against hitting women to be moronic and really hypocritical considering guys had no problem beating their women a few decades ago.

Hitting anyone regardless of sex is bad. You shouldn't have to resort to that.
Hitting anyone is a slippery slope.

Sorry, I had to dissect that statement.

Best Regards,

Jake

Last edited by NAKnight on 08 Dec 2012, 12:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 11:53 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mkr3f_Hc_cI[/youtube]

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 11:56 pm

DerStadtschutz wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mkr3f_Hc_cI[/youtube]

Yep. All I can say to that...yep. Women think they're so tough but when they get treated like equals...they fall back into submissive roles. I am all for equality, but women need to think before hitting guys.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 12:45 am

Nothing wrong with "defending yourself" at all, but as with all physical conflicts - not just those involving women - you have to limit your response to the minimum required to end the threat. Beyond that, and you're allowing emotion to make you vindictive. If someone smaller than you tries to hit you, you can use your size and strength to grab them and keep them from hitting you, but you can't then beat them to a pulp.

As a martial artist, my goal is to be able to defuse a situation with as little violence as possible; as I get better and better, I'm more and more able to control even larger people without actually hurting them. If I do have to hurt them, it's a sign that I'm not completely in control of the situation.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 12:47 am

Agreed LKL; I want to learn aikido so I can just paralyze people and avoid any confrontation.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 12:51 am

I don't know of any aikido dojos that can teach you that :)
With a lot of work, though, you can learn to use a person's aggression against them - they are only injured if and when they attack you, and only to the extent that they put energy into the attack. At the higher levels, you're basically learning how to protect them from themselves without harm to you.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 1:04 am

Kinda what I meant; it becomes desirable for them to just stop fighting. Only time it wouldn't work well is against a gun.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 2:13 am

very true. O'Sensei was reputed to have been able to dodge bullets in China, along the lines of a 'Matrix' duel, but how much of that was luck and exaggeration we'll never know. No other aikidoka has made the claim, and most martial arts teachers are explicit that a gun is superior firepower to pretty much anything short of another gun.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 4:48 am

LKL wrote:
Nothing wrong with "defending yourself" at all, but as with all physical conflicts - not just those involving women - you have to limit your response to the minimum required to end the threat. Beyond that, and you're allowing emotion to make you vindictive. If someone smaller than you tries to hit you, you can use your size and strength to grab them and keep them from hitting you, but you can't then beat them to a pulp.

Many state laws limit the amount of force to what is required to stop an attacker. Ex: you cannot shoot someone running away unless another's life is in danger, and you cannot beat someone to the ground and start kicking their head. If you stop defending yourself when the other person breaks off or can no longer fight, your personal rules for self-defense will be fairly one-size-fits-all.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 1:57 pm

SanityTheorist wrote:
I have no problem with defending myself if a women is attacking me. However, people think I am a douchebag for this. Can anyone explain why? They can use the "they're weaker" argument all they want, but if it's true then women should just know not to hit first.

Hell, they even get away with a lot of other things guys shouldn't. Is there even such a thing as gender equality

If a "lady" hits you, smack her back.

I have a vagina, and I hereby give you permission.

The whole "women can hit men" thing is just cultural-bias tripe that contributes to domestic violence against men. I'm 5"10, which is bigger than most women, so some women even think that gives them permission to hit ME and get away with it. Screw that!

Caveat: ideally, no one should hit anyone.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 2:41 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeAxnIz6L-4[/youtube]I think more women should do this out of self defense like this Japanese lady!

Japanese girl: HEY THATS MY PURSE!!

Elevator Thief: Oh Sh*T!! !

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 2:46 pm

^^^^^^^^He had it coming ,good for her.
Everyone has the right to defend themselves,male or female.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 2:49 pm

Yep, women have every right to defend themselves when a guy attacks them. I'm glad she did it successfully.