Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 5:53 pm

Just like women try to keep threads about domestic violence against women on-track, let's try to keep this thread on-track about men who find themselves having to defend against aggressive women. It happens less often, but it's still important to discuss.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 6:10 pm

I agree with what's been said about subduing rather than attacking. But if I hit a man I would expect him to reciprocate in kind. The natural response to being hit is to hit back.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 6:13 pm

TBH, I wouldn't recommend defending yourself against a woman physically unless you believe your life is in danger. Though I think it's morally justified, the potential legal consequences are going to be far more severe than the injuries you might sustain.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 6:52 pm

mds_02 wrote:
TBH, I wouldn't recommend defending yourself against a woman physically unless you believe your life is in danger. Though I think it's morally justified, the potential legal consequences are going to be far more severe than the injuries you might sustain.

I slightly disagree.

I've seen men come away with serious injuries inflicted by their wives/girlfriends. One of my co-workers actually got stabbed by his ex.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 6:58 pm

It's one of those weird double standards.

I don't think you should be expected to stand by and let a woman beat you, but I don't think you need to knock her out.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 6:58 pm

Self-defence is gender neutral. If someone is attacking me, I'm going to use whatever means necessary to stop the assault. End of. That ranges everywhere from "I'm going to pick you up and hold you at arms length so you can't reach me" to "my steel toe is about to meet your genitals."

You will reap what you've sown.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 7:01 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
mds_02 wrote:

I slightly disagree.

I've seen men come away with serious injuries inflicted by their wives/girlfriends. One of my co-workers actually got stabbed by his ex.

If they had hit back after the 5th time they wouldn't have been injured. Women naturally back down when hit to my knowledge...although cat fights are brutal. They just go straight for the hair!

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 7:02 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
It's one of those weird double standards.

I don't think you should be expected to stand by and let a woman beat you, but I don't think you need to knock her out.

Depends on the woman.

Some women can be pretty friggen' viscous.

Maybe there should be male self-defense classes wherein they teach men how to defend themselves and subdue violent women without taking damage or causing too much to their attacker???

Quote:
If they had hit back after the 5th time they wouldn't have been injured. Women naturally back down when hit to my knowledge...although cat fights are brutal. They just go straight for the hair!

That's been my experience as well.

Most think you aren't going to hit them and that's the only reason they pull that crap.

Once you shatter the delusion, it stops.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 7:16 pm

I was playing 'capture the flag' a couple of years ago, guarding my team's flag, when a woman from the opposing team cam running straight at me. I saw her, she saw me, and I set up my base and put my hands out partly to protect myself and partly to get ready to tag her if she dodged at the last minute. She ran straight into me at full speed, rocked back, fell down on her butt, and started to cry. I don't know what she expected me to do... get out of the way for her to take my flag? It was one of the most bizarre human behaviors I've ever seen.
All of the men were being super sympathetic and giving me dirty looks. Maybe it's some sort of NT thing...
:roll:

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 7:20 pm

My mentor said it appeared like you shoved her. People...

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 7:25 pm

But she ran straight at me from about 30 feet away. All I did was protect myself from being shoved by her.
What else is one supposed to do? Step aside, maybe even hand her the flag, and send her on her way with a cheerful wave? Yes, that's a false dichotomy, but come on! What she did was stupid.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2012, 5:36 am

There is actually some legal disparity here; a mans presumed superior physical strength is considered a weapon when used against a woman, and she's legally entitled to respond with a greater level of force in response, up to and including lethal force. Normally I agree with this legal doctrine, but I am aware that it's open to abuse, though I'll admit to never really having heard much about it being taken advantage of. I suppose I wouldn't, I mean to use a recent and ugly example, do you think we'd know the name Trayvon Martin if he'd been shot by a Georgia Zimmerman all other known facts being the same?

TrainofLove
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Dec 2012, 7:22 am

If ANYONE hit's me, I'll hit them back twice as hard, even a woman.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2012, 7:31 am

^What if someone hits you harder than you're capable of hitting them?

TrainofLove
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Dec 2012, 7:46 am

puddingmouse wrote:
^What if someone hits you harder than you're capable of hitting them?

I'll grab a sledge hammer or a hard object close to me to him them with :lol:

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2012, 8:37 am

LKL wrote:
I was playing 'capture the flag' a couple of years ago, guarding my team's flag, when a woman from the opposing team cam running straight at me. I saw her, she saw me, and I set up my base and put my hands out partly to protect myself and partly to get ready to tag her if she dodged at the last minute. She ran straight into me at full speed, rocked back, fell down on her butt, and started to cry. I don't know what she expected me to do... get out of the way for her to take my flag? It was one of the most bizarre human behaviors I've ever seen.
All of the men were being super sympathetic and giving me dirty looks. Maybe it's some sort of NT thing...
:roll:

:lol:

I've had similar things happen to me.

NT chicks: feh!! !! !