Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,105
Location: The Infodome

08 Dec 2012, 6:16 pm

Atheists like to mock Christianity and occasionally Islam but Buddhism is okay right? Buddhists are never patriarchal right?

Oh wait...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eight_Garudhammas

Well ... human rights abuses never happen in Buddhist countries right?

They do?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Muslims_in_Burma

Whatever, let's keep ignoring the bad things that Buddhists have done over the years because Buddhism is a New Age religion despite being older than Christianity.


_________________
Synthetic carbo-polymers got em through man. They got em through mouse. They got through, and we're gonna get out.
-Roostre

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/


puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Apr 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,777
Location: Cottonopolis

08 Dec 2012, 6:23 pm

Buddhists are very sexist in some parts of the world, and generally the religion is patriarchal. I'm under no illusions, there.

You can criticise Buddhism as much as you like, but all you'll probably get is Western Buddhists going 'yeah, you're right; it sucks'. They don't tend to go on the defensive.



TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,061

08 Dec 2012, 6:25 pm

Yeah, you're right; it sucks.


_________________
I've left WP indefinitely.


XFilesGeek
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2010
Age: 39
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 6,031
Location: The Oort Cloud

08 Dec 2012, 7:08 pm

I'm a "sorta" Zen Buddhist.

I was never under any illusion that Buddhism generates nothing but sunshine and unicorn farts.


_________________
"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)


MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2010
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,760
Location: New England

08 Dec 2012, 8:26 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Yeah, you're right; it sucks.


:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:


_________________
I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...


MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2010
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,760
Location: New England

08 Dec 2012, 8:35 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Atheists like to mock Christianity and occasionally Islam but Buddhism is okay right? Buddhists are never patriarchal right?


To be fair, you might want to educate yourself a little.

http://buddhism.about.com/od/basicbuddh ... theism.htm

Many Buddhists are atheists. :wink:


_________________
I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...


Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 18,575
Location: Aux Arcs

08 Dec 2012, 8:53 pm

Yes some Bubbhists are asses,they suffer from a fatal disease,being human.
It sucks. :wink:



VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2008
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,691

08 Dec 2012, 9:18 pm

When I read things like the 8 fold path or the 4 noble truths it can sound appealing and thoughtful.

But people have also linked Buddhist teachings to the Japanese Kamikaze pilots.

Also, supposedly Buddhism attempted to shrug off the Hindu style caste system but I'm not sure that entirely succeeded. If someone is born diseased or deformed they may be scorned saying they obviously are paying for bad Karma from a previous life.

This is to bad because I've read interested books from the Dalai Llama, but I've also listened to Christopher Hitchens and even Penn Jillette critizise the Dalai Llama and this way of life. Even accusing old Tibet of allowing a kind of Serfdom.

So as far as Eastern "Religion" is concerned, I'm now exploring Taoism.



MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2009
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,007

08 Dec 2012, 10:02 pm

MrXxx wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Atheists like to mock Christianity and occasionally Islam but Buddhism is okay right? Buddhists are never patriarchal right?


To be fair, you might want to educate yourself a little.

http://buddhism.about.com/od/basicbuddh ... theism.htm

Many Buddhists are atheists. :wink:


According to the link, Sam Harris said "Buddhism should be taken from the Buddhists" to clean it from its religious elements.

I agree with that, a lot of religions have great ideas mixed in with terrible superstitions.



puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Apr 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,777
Location: Cottonopolis

08 Dec 2012, 11:47 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
When I read things like the 8 fold path or the 4 noble truths it can sound appealing and thoughtful.

But people have also linked Buddhist teachings to the Japanese Kamikaze pilots.

Also, supposedly Buddhism attempted to shrug off the Hindu style caste system but I'm not sure that entirely succeeded. If someone is born diseased or deformed they may be scorned saying they obviously are paying for bad Karma from a previous life.

This is to bad because I've read interested books from the Dalai Llama, but I've also listened to Christopher Hitchens and even Penn Jillette critizise the Dalai Llama and this way of life. Even accusing old Tibet of allowing a kind of Serfdom.

So as far as Eastern "Religion" is concerned, I'm now exploring Taoism.


I'm not a fan of the Dalai Lama for various reasons and I try to follow Buddhism. I don't identify with Tibetan Buddhism, though.



Evinceo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 13 Apr 2012
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 392

09 Dec 2012, 2:18 am

At just under six percent of the world population, Buddhism isn't worth caring about compared to Christianity or Islam.



MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,442

09 Dec 2012, 4:21 am

Misslizard wrote:
Yes some Bubbhists are asses,they suffer from a fatal disease,being human.
It sucks. :wink:


Wait a minute. Asses = humans?



TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,061

09 Dec 2012, 5:40 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
I'm a "sorta" Zen Buddhist.

I was never under any illusion that Buddhism generates nothing but sunshine and unicorn farts.


I'm a "sorta" Zen Buddhist / Atheist / Advaita Vedantist.

I don't know what unicorns eat, but yes, if you ever happen to be standing behind one when it farts - gross! :eew:


_________________
I've left WP indefinitely.


Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 18,575
Location: Aux Arcs

09 Dec 2012, 9:08 am

I am so embarrassed by my typo,Bubbhists????????Ye gads. :oops:



Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,897
Location: Lancashire, UK

09 Dec 2012, 9:45 am

TallyMan wrote:
I'm a "sorta" Zen Buddhist / Atheist / Advaita Vedantist.


Are you just an atheist that feels like you want to believe in something spiritual and esoteric, that there is something a little more refined and greater than just bog-standard "no God"ism?



ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,265

09 Dec 2012, 10:00 am

Humans being human beings....