'Right to work' kills, those who pass such are murderers

Page 1 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 1:17 pm

According to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the rate of workplace deaths is 52.9 percent higher in right-to-work states. That means dead bodies, corpses, and anyone who passes laws for this is a murderer because they know that it causes deaths.

As I said, the Right likes punishment, pain and violence... and as they think that the worship of a God that predestines people to Hell is what brought the great leap of progress out of darkness, this is to be expected. "Life is unfair", they like to say, and under their breath they add, "and may we make it more unfair still".

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 3:28 pm

It seems to me that the same logic that apparently tells us that workers should not be required to pay union dues also tells us that corporate stock holders should not be required to use their share of company revenues for lobbying, campaign contributions or other political activities - and yet Republicans (and for that matter, Democrats) don't seem to be proposing such a law.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 3:31 pm

ScrewyWabbit wrote:
It seems to me that the same logic that apparently tells us that workers should not be required to pay union dues also tells us that corporate stock holders should not be required to use their share of company revenues for lobbying, campaign contributions or other political activities - and yet Republicans (and for that matter, Democrats) don't seem to be proposing such a law.

While we are at it, please note that unions use some of the dues they collect to further a particular political agenda. If everyone is force to pay dues but not everyone agrees with the agenda, it would seem that charging the disagree-ers is unjust and extortionate.

ruveyn

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 3:43 pm

"Right to Work" prevents union administrators from requiring union membership for employment with one hand and "Black-Listing" people they don't like with the other, thus reducing or eliminating the frequency of union administrators blocking the people they don't like from obtaining all but the most menial of jobs.

"Right to Work" allows people whose religious convictions prohibit them from joining labor unions (Matthew 6:24; Luke 6:13) to be gainfully employed in a union environment, Thus reducing or eliminating union-sponsored religious discrimination in hiring.

"Right to Work" prevents union administrators from extorting money from non-union workers in exchange for the union's "protection", Thus reducing or eliminating many suspicious work-related accidents and deaths occurring to non-union workers in union environments.

The era of "Big Labor" is drawing to a close. Good riddance!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 4:37 pm

I am glad Right to Work passed, now if only the rest of the country could come aboard. I work for my EMPLOYER, not the UNION. Those who wish to form and join unions and pay dues have my full blessing, it is their constitutional right to associate freely, however, the right to associate also entails the right NOT to associate.

It boggles my mind that this was even up for discussion. If I do not wish to be represented by a union, why should I pay the union for the privilege? That would be like one of those big box membership club stores sending all Americans a bill every month and saying "we are the only grocer in town, and you have to pay us for the right to shop here, even if you go to the next town over to shop."

You can be friends with whoever you want, but you cannot force others to be your friends.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 4:40 pm

xenon13 wrote:
"Life is unfair", they like to say

And until you show me conclusive evidence that life is fair, I will continue to say that life is unfair. It was never meant to be fair.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 4:41 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
xenon13 wrote:

And until you show me conclusive evidence that life is fair, I will continue to say that life is unfair. It was never meant to be fair.

Life is not -meant- to be anything. Life just is (in some place at some times).

ruveyn

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 4:56 pm

"Right to Work"

Perhaps the greatest lie ever foisted upon a naïve and easily duped public by the crony capitalists of the plutocracy.

This does not create a right to work--it creates a right to exploit. The statistics do not lie. Median hourly income in so-called "right to work" states are $3/hour lower than in states without such legislation.

According to the US Census bureau, four of of the five lowest ranking states by median household income (three year average) are right to work states. None of the top five are.

There are policy alternatives that could easily accommodate dissenters. In the Canadian public service, for example, dissenters are free to direct the employer to divert the amount of their union dues to a registered charity. Union membership and memership within the bargaining unit are separated--so a person is bound by the terms of their employment to the collective agreement, but can choose not to exercise membership in the union.

If the era of Big Labour is finished, then say hello to the return of the sweatshop.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 5:02 pm

ruveyn wrote:
ScrewyWabbit wrote:

While we are at it, please note that unions use some of the dues they collect to further a particular political agenda. If everyone is force to pay dues but not everyone agrees with the agenda, it would seem that charging the disagree-ers is unjust and extortionate.

ruveyn

I am aware of this and that was what I was alluding to in my post. If people are being forced to have their mandatory union dues used for political agendas that they might personally disagree with, it also makes sense for corporate stockholders not to have their share of company revenues used to support political agendas that they might personally disagree with.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 5:02 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
xenon13 wrote:

Because certain people stand to benefit from and fight for unfairness. Reactionaries and regressives can use the "life isn't fair" cliche to defend anything. Might as well defend slavery and racism as well.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 5:07 pm

Fnord wrote:
"Right to Work" prevents union administrators from requiring union membership for employment with one hand and "Black-Listing" people they don't like with the other, thus reducing or eliminating the frequency of union administrators blocking the people they don't like from obtaining all but the most menial of jobs.

"Right to Work" allows people whose religious convictions prohibit them from joining labor unions (Matthew 6:24; Luke 6:13) to be gainfully employed in a union environment, Thus reducing or eliminating union-sponsored religious discrimination in hiring.

"Right to Work" prevents union administrators from extorting money from non-union workers in exchange for the union's "protection", Thus reducing or eliminating many suspicious work-related accidents and deaths occurring to non-union workers in union environments.

The era of "Big Labor" is drawing to a close. Good riddance!

don't get me wrong, I've got no great love of Unions. It raises my ire every time I drive by a road crew with one guy digging and three guys standing around watching him. That said...

The idea that religious convictions are preventing anyone from working in a union environment sounds a bit suspicious - I've never heard this complaint before, ever. In any case, there are all sorts of provisions that come with almost any job, many of which might be disagreeable to the employee, for a variety of reasons. But they're all "take it or leave it" - either live with what you don't like, or don't take the job. And yet people accept these things, even though they might feel they're unfair, out of economic necessity. This is no different, I'd say.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 5:14 pm

marshall wrote:
thechadmaster wrote:
xenon13 wrote:

Because certain people stand to benefit from and fight for unfairness. Reactionaries and regressives can use the "life isn't fair" cliche to defend anything. Might as well defend slavery and racism as well.

Wonder if right-wingers will silently acquiesces to injustices like property theft because "life isn't fair". Might as well stop reporting property crimes 'cause "life is unfair", eh?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 5:15 pm

visagrunt wrote:
... If the era of Big Labour is finished, then say hello to the return of the sweatshop.

Come to Democrat-controlled California, where sweatshops seem to be abundant, and where "Right to Work" is not an issue.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 5:17 pm

ruveyn wrote:
ScrewyWabbit wrote:

ruveyn

"Agenda" is a plural word. :shameonyou:

An employer may also use a portion of an employee's surplus value (i.e., profit) to support political activities to his liking.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 5:21 pm

ruveyn wrote:
ScrewyWabbit wrote:

ruveyn

If you don't want to work for a union shop you are "free" to choose employment elsewhere. Nobody is forcing anyone to join a union, per your own definition of "force". Nobody is going to come at you with guns if you refuse to join a union. Now stop being such a bloody hypocrite. Government has no business legislating what kinds of contracts unions can or cannot make with a private company regarding conditions of employment. With this bunch of blatant hypocritical inconsistency the right has outed itself. Your views are not about "freedom". They are about power and hierarchy. The right needs to stop lying to people and misrepresenting its motives.

Last edited by marshall on 12 Dec 2012, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 5:22 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:

An employer may also use a portion of an employee's surplus value (i.e., profit) to support political activities to his liking.

The "surplus value" is the employers property. Get used to it.

The prole gets the agreed upon wage and sometimes a bonus which is a free will gift from the employer.

ruveyn