Page 3 of 26 [ 412 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26  Next

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 3:57 pm

I just got a message from a person claiming to be Ryan Lanza...

Ooccoo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Dec 2012, 4:05 pm

This is a tragic event, it's sickening to see this kind of thing happen, especially when it's kids being shot. My thoughts and condolences are with the family and friends of those involved

On the topic of guns, whilst this event is a tragedy, it's one that is slowly becoming more common in America. This is what, the third high profile shooting in America this year, and god knows how many low profile ones. If you compare America to somewhere where guns are no where near as easily available, say England, it's clear to see that the availability of guns is linked to the number of horrific incidents such as this one.

Now I'm not saying completely ban guns in America, that would be a knee jerk reaction and would alter many lives such as the aforementioned deer hunters. But when any man and his dog could get a lethal firearm that kills, then it leaves you wondering why it isn't even remotely regulated.

So in my opinion, firearms need to at least be regulated, preferably heavily or banned imo not that a Brit's opinion on firearms means much to America, to at least help prevent such horrific tragedies such as this one.

Again, my thoughts and condolences go out to the family and friends of those involved

palindrome
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Dec 2012, 4:24 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
palindrome wrote:
MjrMajorMajor wrote:
What parent lets their kid be interviewed by journalists after going through something like that? It's a dozen fatalities right now.

This is one reaction I'm having. Every time I see that interview with a little girl embedded in a page on CNN, I want to alternately vomit and throw things. So incredibly exploitative, I don't even have words.

I don't knw, I'd sure want to tal about it to everybody that could hear if I was there. I'd want to tell everybody I knew. It gets it out of your system.

There's nothing about pointing a camera at a kid that just went through what these kids went through that isn't awful and exploitative. Knowing that they had to get parental permission to do it just makes it worse. They're minors, and it's bad enough that they'll have to talk to the police about the whole thing later.

If journalists want on-camera, eye-witness accounts, they should stick to adults imo.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 4:34 pm

^^^^^Both kids and parents look in shock,it's not really fair at this time to judge the parents on their actions,they are numb.My reaction would be to grab my kid and run with them,but that's me.
it's the media who should back off from the parents.

Disraeli
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2012, 4:39 pm

It is being confirmed that Adam Lanza (the shooter) suffers from Asperger's syndrome. What do you think the media fallout from this tragedy surrounding asperger's will be in the media?

You're going to hear a lot in the media about Asperger's and a lack of empathy and whether Asperger's was responsible for this shooting.

Last edited by Disraeli on 14 Dec 2012, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 4:49 pm

Disraeli wrote:
It is being confirmed that Adam Lanza (the shooter) suffers from Asperger's syndrome. What do you think the media fallout from this tragedy surrounding asperger's will be in the media?

Source?

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Disraeli
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2012, 4:49 pm

John_Browning wrote:
Disraeli wrote:

Source?

Its being reported on ABC news I am watching it now.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 4:50 pm

J-Greens wrote:
It seems I cannot have an honest and open debate on this issue as it has already been decided from above. I would like to continue this debate, but clearly I am not allowed.

I didn't say you weren't allowed. It was simply terrible timing IMO for the kinds of things you said. If you actually do have AS, badly timed remarks can go along with that. I'm on spectrum too, and occasionally being reactionary goes with mine. Whatever the case, the remarks were insensitive, I was reactionary, took off for a while to calm down. I'm fine now.

You (and anyone posting for that matter) may want to think a little bit though before jumping the gun into using this horrific event to make a political point while it is still in progress, still a live news story, and KIDS are involved. These were elementary school kids. Five to nine or ten year old kids. 18 of them!

The FIRST thing that ought to be on ALL our minds are those kids, and their families! Not gun control, not whether someone will blame Aspergers. For crying out loud people, there's plenty of time to debate those issues, but THIS is not the time.

(That's all I have to say. I won't be touching this thread now.)

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 5:00 pm

The CNN shrink has been talking about grandiosity and entitlement that the shooter most likely was feeling,sounds like Narcissist personality problems. Nothing mentioned about Aspergers.

Cygnata
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Dec 2012, 5:02 pm

20 kids, an entire kindergarten class. 2 died later at the hospital. :( 6 adults, too, with another at a secondary crime scene. Young enough to have been my kids, if I had any. :( Poor babies. I've been crying since the news broke.

Also they're now saying it was ADAM Lanza, and Ryan is in custody answering questions about his family.

Last edited by Cygnata on 14 Dec 2012, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Disraeli
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2012, 5:05 pm

I am editing this post, overreaction.

Last edited by Disraeli on 14 Dec 2012, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 5:14 pm

Is this dehumanization?
No longer feeling part of the human race?
Shooting kids like people shoot ducks and prairie dogs and rabbits?
This stuff started with Brenda Spencer in San Diego, California.
Her comment, when arrested?
"I don't like Mondays."
So, within a year, a rock group made a record, which became a hit, called:
'I Don't Like Mondays'
SOME of the media made a decision regarding the person responsible for the Colorado theater shooting:
SOME of the media refused to give HIM any attention, and instead focused on the victims.

Hint, hint, T.V., Internet, and Print media.

The people who matter are the parents whose hearts are broken, families damaged forever, and the police and emergency personnel, may God bless them all, and may He heal their hearts and minds from what they have seen and been through.

Sylkat

Billybones
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2012, 5:24 pm

This is the price we pay for our slavish obeisance to the NRA.

Beyond sadness & outrage, the most common reaction I've seen is resignation. This happens with mind-numbing regularity in the U.S.A., but let's face facts: NOTHING will be done in the way of legislation or policy action to keep automatic & semi-automatic weapons out of the hands of seriously disturbed people. (We're not talking about hunting rifles; we're talking about serious firepower.) On this issue, the NRA rules, & any politician who tries to stand up to them will get squished like a bug.

Next we'll be told that the solution is MORE guns, MORE people packing heat. In malls. In restaurants. In schools. On college campuses. In taverns.

So the scrutiny inevitably comes down on the nonconformists, the social outsiders & us Aspies. Nothing can be done about guns; so all that really can be done is more rules, more cameras, more security, more checkpoints, more suspicion of anyone who doesn't fit in. In my opinion, these constitute a much bigger threat to our liberty than gun control ever has.

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 5:32 pm

Places online are saying the older brother of the shooter told police that his younger brother, the shooter, has AS.

J-Greens
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 5:33 pm

I'm glad to see other users taking up my original points and not getting them removed because they don't conform to the status quo.

I'd like my winnings on the media using 'mental-disorder based excuses to justify the actions' wager I'd said would happen.

C'mon the NRA has Washington by the balls, no legislation will get passed. Ever.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 5:51 pm

J-Greens wrote:
I'd like my winnings on the media using 'mental-disorder based excuses to justify the actions' wager I'd said would happen.

Winnings for what? Stating the obvious? Do you think everyone else thinks it was done by a perfectly level headed person? And if he was not, what alternative explanation makes more sense?

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...