Page 1 of 10 [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,091
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

24 Jan 2013, 11:12 am

The actual images of what happens to the once living creatures is actually against the TOS of Wrong Planet, so this will have to suffice:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_28n1-bs_S0[/youtube]



Last edited by iamnotaparakeet on 24 Jan 2013, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2012
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,051
Location: San Jose

24 Jan 2013, 11:24 am

Meh I still eat meat! Yeah its gruesome how they are treated but its not like they are endangered or anything.


_________________
Your Aspie score is 193 of 200
Your neurotypical score is 40 of 200
You are very likely an aspie
No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList


iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,091
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

24 Jan 2013, 12:27 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
Meh I still eat meat! Yeah its gruesome how they are treated but its not like they are endangered or anything.


No, they're not endangered, but bred and horrendously slaughtered in the millions upon millions for the mere appetites of creatures who unfortunately have control of their lives and misuse that control for turning precious creatures into food. Meat is not even a necessity, it is an extravagant waste of countless lives for the purpose of serving one's learned cravings for the dead and slowly rotting flesh of fellow beings capable of feeling emotions and pain. It would be better for the mistreated animals to have gone extinct rather than continue as a product of industrial abuse.



0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2007
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,038
Location: London

24 Jan 2013, 12:35 pm

I have a friend who has a similar view. So only eat meat occupationally sourced locations.

If you can find a farmer or supplier who puts welfare and quality of life into their animal husbandry, would you still object to eating it?



iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,091
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

24 Jan 2013, 1:00 pm

I would object to animal death regardless of however humanely done it supposedly is - whether the slaughter is done politely or rudely it still amounts to snuffing out the life of another creature as a sacrifice to one's own stomach. However, as to eggs and milk the only objection I would have is in their conditions of living and whether or not males are killed because they're not as useful.



thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 May 2012
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,147
Location: County Down, Northern Ireland

24 Jan 2013, 1:06 pm

i'll take this sort of thing seriously whenever abuse of humans is resolved.

I invite you to go to a third world country to proselyte about animal welfare, it wont go down well.

moreover humans are not naturally vegetarian, we are omnivores. Veggies are generally less healthy than those with a balanced diet. The main problem with poor treatment of animals is caused by the inherent cost cutting of our economic system, not the dietry requirements of humans.


_________________
Being 'normal' is over rated.

My deviant art profile


AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2012
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,051
Location: San Jose

24 Jan 2013, 1:14 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
Meh I still eat meat! Yeah its gruesome how they are treated but its not like they are endangered or anything.


No, they're not endangered, but bred and horrendously slaughtered in the millions upon millions for the mere appetites of creatures who unfortunately have control of their lives and misuse that control for turning precious creatures into food. Meat is not even a necessity, it is an extravagant waste of countless lives for the purpose of serving one's learned cravings for the dead and slowly rotting flesh of fellow beings capable of feeling emotions and pain. It would be better for the mistreated animals to have gone extinct rather than continue as a product of industrial abuse.
You know some ants do the same thing with aphids yeah were not ants but humans have hunted animals for food during the stone until humans began to learn to farm. Also chimpanzees one of our closest related primates comprise 60% of their diet meat they just like us are omnivores.


_________________
Your Aspie score is 193 of 200
Your neurotypical score is 40 of 200
You are very likely an aspie
No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList


iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,091
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

24 Jan 2013, 1:15 pm

thomas81 wrote:
i'll take this sort of thing seriously whenever abuse of humans is resolved.

I invite you to go to a third world country to proselyte about animal welfare, it wont go down well.

moreover humans are not naturally vegetarian, we are omnivores. Veggies are generally less healthy than those with a balanced diet. The main problem with poor treatment of animals is caused by the inherent cost cutting of our economic system, not the dietry requirements of humans.


So, because one wrong exists another is justified? Sorry, but no.

Yes, we are naturally herbivores: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathy-fre ... 14390.html



iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,091
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

24 Jan 2013, 1:19 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
Meh I still eat meat! Yeah its gruesome how they are treated but its not like they are endangered or anything.


No, they're not endangered, but bred and horrendously slaughtered in the millions upon millions for the mere appetites of creatures who unfortunately have control of their lives and misuse that control for turning precious creatures into food. Meat is not even a necessity, it is an extravagant waste of countless lives for the purpose of serving one's learned cravings for the dead and slowly rotting flesh of fellow beings capable of feeling emotions and pain. It would be better for the mistreated animals to have gone extinct rather than continue as a product of industrial abuse.
You know some ants do the same thing with aphids yeah were not ants but humans have hunted animals for food during the stone until humans began to learn to farm. Also chimpanzees one of our closest related primates comprise 60% of their diet meat they just like us are omnivores.


Again, it's not enough to say that just because something happens that it is right to continue happening. Also seriously, you're using animals as a moral compass - animals which other humans eat? If they're capable of being a moral leader, then why are they food to you or other humans? And yes, chimps are used as food in various third world countries and "exotic" cuisines.



Ramba_Ral
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2012
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 110
Location: Wellford, South Carolina

24 Jan 2013, 1:21 pm

i'm going to roll with the omnivores....you can be a herbivore. i don't care what you eat so stop preaching to me about the evil, vile slaughterhouses cause your only making me hungry. i enjoy plants, i enjoy eating plants, i eat them on the side of my portion of meat.



androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,447

24 Jan 2013, 1:26 pm

The religious right says eating meat is biblical.



iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,091
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

24 Jan 2013, 1:33 pm

Ramba_Ral wrote:
i'm going to roll with the omnivores....you can be a herbivore. i don't care what you eat so stop preaching to me about the evil, vile slaughterhouses cause your only making me hungry. i enjoy plants, i enjoy eating plants, i eat them on the side of my portion of meat.


Look up what goes on in a slaughterhouse and then tell me you still feel hungry afterwards. Watch what's actually done to them. Words can do it no justice, and are just so easily dismissed by the likes of those who would ignore a cement truck heading into a nitroglycerin plant.



iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,091
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

24 Jan 2013, 1:36 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
The religious right says eating meat is biblical.


Genesis 1:29-30, the creation was very good then.



AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2012
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,051
Location: San Jose

24 Jan 2013, 1:40 pm

Tell that to some tribes in South America like the Minnowins they eat meat and hunt their food because the soil is too acidic to grow crops.


_________________
Your Aspie score is 193 of 200
Your neurotypical score is 40 of 200
You are very likely an aspie
No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList


iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,091
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

24 Jan 2013, 1:41 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
Tell that to some tribes in South America like the Minnowins they eat meat and hunt their food because the soil is too acidic to grow crops.
Tell them to move to where the soil is better, or teach them chemistry and agriculture and fix the soil.



AspE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,114

24 Jan 2013, 1:41 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Look up what goes on in a slaughterhouse and then tell me you still feel hungry afterwards. Watch what's actually done to them. Words can do it no justice, and are just so easily dismissed by the likes of those who would ignore a cement truck heading into a nitroglycerin plant.


I have. There was a BBC show called Kill It, Cook It, Eat It, where they put a kitchen within a slaughterhouse separated by glass, so a studio audience could see the whole process. I have to say it was fascinating, and I don't have a problem with it if it's done correctly. Yes, most factory farms are not good examples of the right way to do it, but there are other outlets, especially now with the internet.