Why do atheists care about the beliefs of others?

Page 8 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2012, 10:26 am

There's no law that says everything in life - or in one's mind - must be ultimately useful.

But what I find is that for a lot of people, spiritual belief is comforting, calming, and to my mind that has its uses.

Imagination has many uses, few of which I think anyone need be overly cautious about.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 10:34 am

BlueAbyss wrote:
There's no law that says everything in life - or in one's mind - must be ultimately useful.

But what I find is that for a lot of people, spiritual belief is comforting, calming, and to my mind that has its uses.

Imagination has many uses, few of which I think anyone need be overly cautious about.

Man does not live by bread and the practical alone.

ruveyn

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 11:04 am

Shizz wrote:
I'm pretty sure that our "magical thinking" is our imagination that brought us out of the caves.

No, man's brain is more than just "magical thinking".

you_are_what_you_is
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 11:33 am

TheValk wrote:
you_are_what_you_is wrote:
-- Almost all - possibly all - the religious people I know don't believe that others will go to hell for not sharing their beliefs. This isn't the Dark Ages.

You haven't seen many religious people then. If a person doesn't see their chosen path as the path to salvation, however they seem the term, why would they continue to pursue it? The difference here is between believing there's no desired outcome outside their church of choice and wishing exquisite eternal torture to others. The latter is indeed a sad sight to experience, but if somebody tries to convert you that's a good sign they rather wish to prevent it. I do appreciate it and never brush such people off - though I do have some books on my shelves as a result, ones I might never get around to reading, I fear.

I've known plenty of religious people. Not all of them consider their path the "One True Way". Some do, some don't. Among those who do, not all of them believe that others will receive eternal punishment for disagreeing with them.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 11:42 am

you_are_what_you_is wrote:
I've known plenty of religious people. Not all of them consider their path the "One True Way". Some do, some don't. Among those who do, not all of them believe that others will receive eternal punishment for disagreeing with them.

I think what that comes down to; what's asked of us, aside from accepting Christ as Lord and Savior and accepting his divinity is also accepting that he is who he says he is (ie. prophet, part of representative archetype play, enlightened being or office of 'Christ' in the Piscean age to retire in Aquarian - none of those cut it). At the same time accepting him and the father for who they say they are also accepts the claim that their mercy and justice are perfect. That last part in a way suggests that people who are authentically seeking, not tokenly or out of or strictly honoring Pascal's wager but actually care about truth in reality for honorable reasons (even if currently quite non-religious or even occult by incident/accident), would be viewed in light of who they are rather than where they are. Then again I say it suggests that, its an interpretation, no one really knows, and the funny thing, I also hear that we're kept in the dark for our safety because by a certain law of mechanics the more we know the greater our obligations and the more narrow our band of allowance.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 2:11 pm

Shizz wrote:
I'm pretty sure that our "magical thinking" is our imagination that brought us out of the caves.

It's an evolutionary advantage. The cave man who imagines that the noise he hears outside while he is sleeping may be a predator and wakes up to check on that, finding almost always that it was nothing, is more likely to have viable offspring than the cave man who rationalizes that it was the wind every time he checked so he stops checking.

But that doesn't mean we still have to base our lives on it. We are no longer in caves. Most of us, anyway.

I prefer not to live in the demon-haunted world.