Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 1:21 am

Happy 2013! In light of the year ahead, I thought we could share completely unsubstantiated and hypothetical arm chair predictions on what will happen in the world. Here are mine:

The U.S. should see its first year of meaningful growth. It probably won't be great by historical standards, but more people will feel like they have money in their pockets. The economy has deleveraged dramatically since 2007, and housing finally seems to be improving. There is always the threat that Washington will derail things, but Wall Street has signaled they are tired of gridlock, and spook leaders into action.

The E.U. will face another rough year, but I think it's clear the euro will survive. Power continues to shift into Germany, and it is clear that the German government want European unity. Additionally, more Europeans move within the Schengen area, leading to greater cultural mixing. This will lead to more federalism, and I believe a continuation of a pan-European national identity, even as different secessionist movements gain steam. I also believe this is the year it will be clear what they U.K's status in the E.U. will be -- it's current status is unsustainable.

On a side note, London's days as a world city will start to fade. 2012 was a high profile year for the city, but that won't save it from its rotting finance industry. Eurozone problems and tougher finance and immigration regulations will push bankers to Hong Kong and Singapore, and to a lesser extent New York. It's already happening.

China will have an uneasy year. No major problems there, but I think the growth of microblogging will make the Internet much too hard for the Chinese to police. That, and economic growth won't be as fast as it was the previous 30 years. There won't be political unrest, but Communist Party leaders will see they can no longer maintain consensus through economic growth alone.

Syria will start to implode, if not completely implode by 2014. Bashar al-Assad will be gone, but a democratic Syria probably won't replace it. Syria will probably fragment along ethnic lines, similar to the old Yugoslavia. None of the great powers will intervene, for they are all tired of foreign adventures. It may be that the colonial-era borders of the Middle East may start to disappear.

That's all the arm-chair predictions I have thus far. Share yours, and liberally. I know I went light on Asia, Latin America and Africa, so I want to hear predictions on those places.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 1:52 am

Conflicts between israel and Palestine will continue Obama will be president for 3 more years and more Aspies will be born! China will overtake the US and relations between the 2 nations will improve. The war in Aphghanistan will continue and Al Quida will make a final stand only to fail!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 2:26 am

I predict Best Picture Oscar for Les Miserables.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 2:40 am

I predict the rich will get richer, but on the flip side, OWS will gain steam and things will come to a head at some point this year.

We may very well be in for the American Winter. (or some other season)

b9
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 2:49 am

Quote:
Share your arm chair predictions for 2013!

i predict that armchairs will remain largely unchanged in 2013.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 3:19 am

I predict Lindsay Lohan will violate her probation.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 5:29 am

Congress approval will fall below 10%.

Kerry, if given the job, will make the Israel/Palestine relations worse.

The US's kleptocracy will only get worse.

I will be able to grow a decent beard by 2014 (fingers crossed).

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 6:58 am

Fiscal Cliff is averted, confidence is restored.

NAKnight
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2013, 11:05 am

YOU WILL OBEY

Good picture, by the way!

Best Regards,

Jake

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 11:30 am

In 4 years and 19 days we will see the last of Barak Obama. Thank G-D!

ruveyn

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 11:48 am

Double-dip recession or at least beginnings of based on fiscal cliff

The whole 2013 'dustbowl' prediction for farmland in the US will turn out to be an overblown media scare.

Barack Obama will still pull every trick and the book to try and raise the debt ceiling, Republicans will say flat out no - even tax hikes would be preferable to that.

If Benedict XVI leaves the Vatican there are some very big and dicey predictions on what could happen - I won't make any predictions on how that will turn out though.

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 12:21 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I have not seen it, but I hated the play. It remains the only play I have ever walked out of. Surely, there are better choices.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 12:26 pm

lotuspuppy wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I have not seen it, but I hated the play. It remains the only play I have ever walked out of. Surely, there are better choices.

I read the book as a teen and have loved it ever since. The book is phenomenal. I went through a thorough Les Miserables phase. I can really get into these things.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Jan 2013, 1:36 pm

There will not be an American civil war.

Arcade Fire will release the album of the year.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 4:11 pm

Fnord's predictions for 2013:

I predict that the economy will continue to improve, but only through political interventions and a patchwork of government controls.

I predict that both church attendance and union membership will drop by a full percentage point overall.

I predict that no official announcements will be made regarding the simultaneous drops in church attendance and union membership.

I predict that Disney's next new movie will feature a doofus dad, a hot mom, a cute dog, and at least one lonely and misunderstood child.

I predict that any new gun-control laws will be easily circumvented due to an unforeseen loophole in another, equally obscure law.

I predict that my application to appear on Dancing With the Stars as a contestant will be rejected ... again.

I predict that Enya's next new release of music will be met with yet another collective yawn by the music-loving public.

I predict that the Mars Rover will not find any Martian life, and that the conspiricists will dog-pile onto this news with claims of a cover-up.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 4:25 pm

Fnord, the next movie is a remake of The Wizard of Oz and will be out in March. Can't wait to go see!! !