NZ First politician makes bigoted statements about Muslims

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 9:48 am

Quote:
NZ MP Richard Prosser says Muslims should be banned from flights on Western airlines

A NEW Zealand politician has labelled young Muslim men a terrorist threat who should be banned from Western airlines, sparking condemnation from Prime Minister John Key.

Richard Prosser, of the New Zealand First party, also labelled Islam a "stone age religion" in a magazine column, claiming that most terrorists were "angry young Muslim men who hate the West".

"If you are a young male, aged between say about 19 and about 35, and you're a Muslim, or you look like a Muslim, or you come from a Muslim country, then you are not welcome to travel on any of the West's airlines," he wrote.

He added: "I will not stand by while my daughters' rights and freedoms, and those of other New Zealanders and Westerners, are denigrated by a sorry pack of misogynist troglodytes from 'Wogistan'."

Needless to say, I find his statements mostly sectarian and bigoted. I mean, "Wogistan"?! Is he feckin' serious?! What a wanker.

It is true what Prosser says about Islam being a stone-age religion - we can see that in its holy texts and the terrorist attacks, death threats, expulsions and increasing Islamisation of some towns and cities. Where I fundamentally disagree with a tosser like Prosser is how to deal with it. His solution is founded on bigotry, the same sort of bigotry that sees all Muslim men as being terrorists. The same sort of bigotry that makes them think that all Muslims want Sharia law and to hang gay people and Jews, the same sort of bigotry that thinks that all Muslims "look" a certain way, which is a ludicrous proposition in itself. His solution will massively alienate many fundamentally decent people who are Muslims and will give further weight to the nasties. It also gives the Islamophobia industry something to whinge and whine about and this a***hole is playing into their hands.

I strongly consider Muslims to be my fellow citizens and that the same rules should apply to them as to everyone else. They should not be discriminated against. Frankly, if I lived in NZ I'd stay well away from him and his party. He has nothing to offer but a backward, ret*d way of thinking.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 10:44 am

Quote:
"If you are a young male, aged between say about 19 and about 35, and you're a Muslim, or you look like a Muslim, or you come from a Muslim country, then you are not welcome to travel on any of the West's airlines," he wrote.

This is also bigotry against young males, and "people who look like a Muslim", and people from muslim countries (who are not necessarily muslims themselves).
The Australian politicians were afraid of Geert Wilders visiting their country, but this NZ guy is much more radical.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 11:00 am

trollcatman wrote:
The Australian politicians were afraid of Geert Wilders visiting their country,

They shouldn't have been. Some of Wilders' beliefs are a bit arseholish (mainly the crap about banning the Quran and closing down all Islamic schools), but I support his right to free speech and he's the leader of the third-largest party in a major country in Western Europe. That mandate deserves to be given respect. He's not a neo-Nazi or anything like that.

Here's a recent speech that Wilders made:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUFsz1MtXEA[/youtube]
I have bought his book and read it. I think a fair bit of the criticism of Islam in the book is well-founded but he goes full circle into head-spinning paranoia and gives rather repressive authoritarian (and, I would argue, discriminatory) policies as solutions.

trollcatman wrote:
but this NZ guy is much more radical.

Yes. I wouldn't go anywhere near him.

trollcatman wrote:
This is also bigotry against young males, and "people who look like a Muslim", and people from muslim countries (who are not necessarily muslims themselves).

Indeed. One could call it racist. Could he tell the difference between the average, Westernised-looking Hindu (who often are less than keen on Islam) and a Muslim? What about people from Muslim countries who aren't Muslim, but are Christians (consider the persecuted Christians in Egypt, for a start, or Jews living in Iran).

We shouldn’t blame Muslims for the ugliness of their religion. It’s not their fault Allah doesn’t approve of civilisation.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 11:18 am

Tequila wrote:

It is true what Prosser says about Islam being a stone-age religion -

Iron Age. The Hittites who existed before there were any Muslims transformed the world technologically by learning how extract ferrite compound from rocks, generate fires hot enough to melt them and to cast or beat the metal so extracted Muslims had swords made of iron and steel, so they are not stone age or even bronze age.

Also, the early days of Islamic triumph actually brought about scientific and mathematical progress. In the Islamic domains algebra and logic were advanced over the prior Greek accomplishments. Algebra is named after the Muslim mathematicians al Jabir. Algorithm is a variant of the name of the mathematician who first identified the concept al Kwarizmi. The early Muslim kingdoms were very open and receptive to new ideas and other people. Jews and Muslims used to study together and not kill each other. What is most important is that the works of the Greek scholars were returned to Europe by way of the Islamic domains. Europe recovered about 20 percent of the works of Aristotle by way of Islamic exchange and diffusion.

So let is be historically accurate. The current Muslim savages are quite unlike the earlier Muslim folk who founded Andalucia in Spain, a wondrous place filled with fountains and libraries.

ruveyn

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 11:22 am

ruveyn wrote:
Also, the early days of Islamic triumph actually brought about scientific and mathematical progress. In the Islamic domains algebra and logic were advanced over the prior Greek accomplishments. Algebra is named after the Muslim mathematicians al Jabir. Algorithm is a variant of the name of the mathematician who first identified the concept al Kwarizmi. The early Muslim kingdoms were very open and receptive to new ideas and other people. Jews and Muslims used to study together and not kill each other. What is most important is that the works of the Greek scholars were returned to Europe by way of the Islamic domains. Europe recovered about 20 percent of the works of Aristotle by way of Islamic exchange and diffusion.

Let's not forget that there is one particular Arab discovery that I could never be without: alcohol!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 11:25 am

Tequila wrote:

Let's not forget that there is one particular Arab discovery that I could never be without: alcohol!

That is just the Arabic name for a substance that has been around since humans started to raise wheat and corn. The Egyptians brewed beer for example.

ruveyn

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 11:27 am

ruveyn wrote:
That is just the Arabic name for a substance that has been around since humans started to raise wheat and corn.

I stand corrected.

I still could not be without it though.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 12:43 pm

Tequila wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
That is just the Arabic name for a substance that has been around since humans started to raise wheat and corn.

I stand corrected.

I still could not be without it though.

You could; you just wouldn't want to be without it.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 12:47 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Tequila wrote:

That is just the Arabic name for a substance that has been around since humans started to raise wheat and corn. The Egyptians brewed beer for example.

ruveyn

Aha! So that is the true origin of the dance "walk like an Egyptian". They were pie-eyed.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 12:52 pm

TallyMan wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Tequila wrote:

ruveyn

Aha! So that is the true origin of the dance "walk like an Egyptian". They were pie-eyed.

And I bet the pyramids were the results of some drunken wager taken too far... Things are suddenly starting to make sense... In zythum veritas.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 1:14 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
You could; you just wouldn't want to be without it.

Well, it would make for a miserable life.

anongamer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Feb 2013, 3:01 pm

trollcatman wrote:

This is exactly what I was saying. You don't have to be muslim, you just have to look muslim. A lot of people here share this opinion. So it seems its not just my view. We are afraid of the lot of them. He's just saying in public what most of us (in Australia/NZ) say in private.

Remember a politician is voted in by people, it is not a minority opinion. It is the majority opinion in that particular area (especially when voting is compulsory in Australia and NZ).

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 3:14 pm

Kiwis are presently agasp as we just made a deal with OZ to take more of their landing refugee boat people
Its all politics and distraction.... they are probably pushing thru a few dodgy bills before gubbermint and need a diversion
Its not so much anti muslim, as another NZ pollie recently made harsh comments against the FINNS!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUZT8UeQdBw[/youtube]

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 4:12 pm

Tequila wrote:
It is true what Prosser says about Islam being a stone-age religion -

Actually, we were well into the Iron Age by that time.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 4:36 pm

Cant find my humour book about xenophobia and kiwis, but think small highland village in Scotland, you know the ones..... where they killed all their women during the witch burning darkness. No women left!

We have many Scots Presbyterian pressbutton immigrants, and many of our place names and churches reflect this.

Very recently two English import government ministers just left in a huff..... due to this stifling and moronic culture, when we nipped at their heels on the way out.... claiming they could not appreciate the NZ 'cultural difference'

We have an extreme bullying culture, and its costs a fortune in lost productivity in the workplace

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 5:48 pm

anongamer wrote:
This is exactly what I was saying. You don't have to be muslim, you just have to look muslim. A lot of people here share this opinion. So it seems its not just my view. We are afraid of the lot of them. He's just saying in public what most of us (in Australia/NZ) say in private.

What if people are not Muslim, but are just dark skinned?

If so, it looks like racism to me. It's little different than just not liking 'Pakis', even if they're not Pakistanis. A lot of Indians really don't like Pakistanis, so calling them 'Paki' is a double insult.