Gay actor in superbowl advert = Attack on Christianity

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 4:13 pm

Cool stuff:

All this time I intended to destroy Christianity, all I needed was to put NPH in a billboard. If only I knew...

http://www.wnd.com/2013/01/gay-cbs-star ... tim-tebow/

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 4:21 pm

Much of the USA is Third World.

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 5:08 pm

I can't wait for my parents to find out that the star of Christmas Shoes 2 (yes they made me watch it, and they are extremely religious) is gay. It was so hard for me to not bring this up around the grand kids (my nieces and nephews) every time he kissed the lead actress.

:cheers:

adb
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 5:28 pm

xenon13 wrote:

Saying this indicates a lack of understanding of what "Third World" means.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 5:29 pm

To be fair, it's not simple as you make it sound. The ads are specifically referencing a guy called Tim Tebow, who isn't just an American football player but is famous as a Christian conservative darling. So the ad is definitely designed to shock Christian conservatives.

I actually have a weird admiration for Tim Tebow because he is a 25-year-old American sports celebrity who openly admits that he is a virgin. That's the modern equivalent of being a leper. Even if his reasons are stupid, he must have some serious courage and self-discipline.

EDIT: Ignore me, I misunderstood the situtation. :?

Last edited by Declension on 08 Jan 2013, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 6:38 pm

This is ridiculous. The only reason why Christian conservatives would be offended by this is if they wanted to be. Unfortunately, so many fundies and holy rollers are so eager to act as if they're victims of "the gay agenda" (gay civil rights) that they would act as if this stabs them in the heart.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 9:04 pm

Declension wrote:
To be fair, it's not simple as you make it sound. The ads are specifically referencing a guy called Tim Tebow, who isn't just an American football player but is famous as a Christian conservative darling. So the ad is definitely designed to shock Christian conservatives.

Its not designed "to shock christian conservatives".

Its designed to catch the eye of football fans who are aware of the idiosyncracies of individualistic football stars.

They couldnt figure out how to exploit RG3's dreadlocks, so they spoofed Tim Tebow's habit of writing messages in his eye black. They just happened to hire Doogie Howser as a stand in for Tim Tebow. CBS cant be blamed if folks are aware of the Doogie Howser actor's personal life.

That seems like a stretch to say that CBS was purposely juxtaposing the actor's personal life with the football player's personal beliefs just to make a statement. And why would CBS do that? Just to hurt itsself by alienating half of its audience?

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 9:22 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
That seems like a stretch to say that CBS was purposely juxtaposing the actor's personal life with the football player's personal beliefs just to make a statement. And why would CBS do that? Just to hurt itsself by alienating half of its audience?

Sorry, I jumped the gun and totally misunderstood the story! I thought that the ad was actually promoting some sort of homosexual cause, not that it was just generic advertising for the Superbowl. Yeah, it is ludicrous to read intent behind it then.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 9:29 pm

adb wrote:
xenon13 wrote:

Many Americans have to brew voodoo potions and pray to their God to heal their illnesses because modern health care is a privilege and hey, the Good Lord giveth, the Good Lord taketh away, and he do not giveth modern health care and so it's part of God's Will... very Third World.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 7:17 am

xenon13 wrote:
...and he do not giveth modern health care...

No, this is true. In the US, that's a job for Santa Claus. :x

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 7:35 am

xenon13 wrote:

Nonsense.

In the U.S. very few people starve.

ruveyn

adb
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 10:05 am

xenon13 wrote:
adb wrote:
xenon13 wrote:

Many Americans have to brew voodoo potions and pray to their God to heal their illnesses because modern health care is a privilege and hey, the Good Lord giveth, the Good Lord taketh away, and he do not giveth modern health care and so it's part of God's Will... very Third World.

This makes it clear that you are just hateful toward the USA. In addition to not understanding the proper use of "Third World", your vitriol has no basis in reality.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 10:33 am

xenon13 wrote:
adb wrote:
xenon13 wrote:

What percent of our 310,000,000 people brew voodoo potions?

Perhaps too many people believe in angels and that the Earth is only 6000 years old. But many of these same people can operate and even create high tech equipment. People can compartmentalize primitive religious beliefs and technical competence in their minds.

Very few Americans are covered in sh*t, which is the common thing in the third world.

ruveyn

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 4:32 pm

The again half of the Americans watch Fox News religiously, which is about the same thing as being covered in s**t.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 6:42 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
The again half of the Americans watch Fox News religiously, which is about the same thing as being covered in sh**.

Good thing Inuyasha isn't here any more, or he'd be having a s**t fit about now. :lol:

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 12:42 pm

Be careful that you do not repeat his name too often. You might conjure him back into existence.