Priest blames vandalism and antagonism to religion on...

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 12:42 pm

...yes, that's right. This priest - what an a***hole - blames Jimmy Carr and the media! LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:
Priest criticises comedian Jimmy Carr for ridiculing Christianity

A priest has criticised comedians like Jimmy Carr for ridiculing Christianity, blaming the lack of respect for the faith on the vandalism of a nativity crib scene.

Father Michael Daley Parish Priest of Our Lady and St Joseph Catholic Church Road realised the church’s traditional crib display had been damaged on New Year’s Eve when he was notified by a distressed parishioner.

The side of the glass-fronted boxed display in Balls Pond had been smashed in, statues had been knocked over, and the figure of St Joseph is still missing.

Bwahahahahahahahaha!

Is this chap for real? Really? He's really real? You don't think the endless stream of Catholic paedophile scandals (which, of course, largely happen because, as we all know, Catholic priests have to take a vow of celibacy), the way the Catholic Church views women and gay people, their abhorrent opposition to condoms which has caused the needless infection and death of many millions of Africans, oh, and the violent intimidation, murder and persecution of ethnic minorities (especially Jews) that has been a feature of Catholicism for millennia? I would have thought these things have done far more to discredit Christianity in the eyes of many than a two-bit, unfunny 'shock' comedian.

I'm sorry that his church was vandalised by scum. However, he loses a bit of my sympathy for going on those ludicrous mental patient rantings.

What do you think? Do you think that Jimmy Carr is solely to blame for disrespecting Christianity?

Bezeone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2013, 1:06 pm

Hmm...I never really felt as though the Catholics were truly a Christian religion. (Most Christians don't think of Mary as sacred and teach you can get to Heaven without Jesus.) :?

Now to the actual topic, it seems weird to put the blame on one person when there are tons of people who make fun of Christianity.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 2:10 pm

Tequila wrote:
What do you think? Do you think that Jimmy Carr is solely to blame for disrespecting Christianity?

I've never heard of Jimmy Carr, so he's not the reason I disrespect Christianity.

Pssst... but does anyone want to buy a small figurine of St Joseph. :P

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 2:26 pm

TallyMan wrote:
I've never heard of Jimmy Carr, so he's not the reason I disrespect Christianity.

I would post some of his videos, but they'd immediately get removed anyway. Do a YouTube search if you're interested.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 4:41 pm

And whilst I'm going on about what the Catholic Church is responsible for... here's another documentary relevant to this thread:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtxOePGgXPs[/youtube]I think a crap comedian's 'crimes' are minuscule compared to what these lot have on their hands.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 4:44 pm

Imo, church leaders have only themselves to blame for provoking the ridicule that is directed at the churches. If they do not want to be ridiculed, then they should not be ridiculous.

Of course, here in the States, we don't have anti-blasphemy laws that can be invoked to silence critics of religious institutions.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 12 Jan 2013, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 4:45 pm

The problem here is that the priest is obviously speaking from a dogmatic position (the RC church is the alpha and the omega therefore YOU MUST RESPECT IT OR ELSE!! !! !) which is difficult to impossible to criticise on its own level, Whereas, Carr, as overrated as he is is merely reflecting the alienation of a modern generation consumed by social disparity and transient capitalistic short lived indulgence for whom religiousity has long since lost any meaning and relevance.

My deviant art profile

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 1:09 am

Bezeone wrote:
Hmm...I never really felt as though the Catholics were truly a Christian religion. (Most Christians don't think of Mary as sacred and teach you can get to Heaven without Jesus.) :?

Now to the actual topic, it seems weird to put the blame on one person when there are tons of people who make fun of Christianity.

Not to change the subject too drastically, but even as a Lutheran - the first Protestants - I view Catholics as Christians, even though I don't agree with everything their church teaches.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 8:51 am

Fnord wrote:
Of course, here in the States, we don't have anti-blasphemy laws that can be invoked to silence critics of religious institutions.

We don't have them here either. They were erased from the statute book in July 2008.

Ireland actually has a brand-new blasphemy law that dates from 2009! It was previously enacted in the 1937 Constitution but was repealed in 1999 after a human rights judgement.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 11:04 am

Tequila wrote:
Fnord wrote:

We don't have them here either. They were erased from the statute book in July 2008.

Ireland actually has a brand-new blasphemy law that dates from 2009! It was previously enacted in the 1937 Constitution but was repealed in 1999 after a human rights judgement.

Ireland does? That's insane!

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 11:10 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Ireland does? That's insane!

It was widely mocked and vilified by the Irish public ever since its mentioning and re-establishment on the statute book. It's seen as something of a national joke in Ireland by the now mainly secular and non-religious public. The atheist organisation Atheist Ireland campaigned against the blasphemy law at the last election, and the Fine Gael government promised to have it removed from the statute book but nothing has come of it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 11:49 am

Tequila wrote:
Fnord wrote:
We don't have them here either. They were erased from the statute book in July 2008. Ireland actually has a brand-new blasphemy law that dates from 2009! It was previously enacted in the 1937 Constitution but was repealed in 1999 after a human rights judgement.

In place of anti-blasphemy laws, some countries have laws which give redress to those who feel insulted on account of their religion. These laws forbid hate speech, the vilification of religion, or "religious insult". In place of blasphemy or in addition to blasphemy in some European countries, the crime of "religious insult" has been defined. A religious insult is forbidden in Andorra, Cyprus, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Spain, Finland, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Lithuania, Norway, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Russian Federation, Slovakia, Switzerland, Turkey and Ukraine. To me, they're just the same as laws against blasphemy.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 11:54 am

Yeah, but you have to remember that in places like Denmark, that law is never used. If anything, the "hate speech" law is used more often than the "religious insult" law. In fact, the Danes have mounted challenges to the "religious insult" law several times to get it removed, but it hasn't happened.

I suspect that it's similar in other countries too in that, yes, it's on the statute book but it's never used.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 12:01 pm

So, I can still call Christians a bunch of self-righteous, sanctimonious, money-grubbing hypocrites, as long as I don't mention any specific denomination of Christianity -- not that I need to be specific, anyway ...

:lol:

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jan 2013, 12:16 pm

I read years ago a superstition that if you were trying to sell your house you should bury a St. Joseph in your front yard. Maybe someone was desperate to sell their house.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 12:32 pm

Anyone want to buy my house? It is up for sale. :wink: