Poll: 2/3 of American voters would defy gun laws

Page 1 of 9 [ 129 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 3:26 am

Quote:
As anti-gun lawmakers push for a government ban of more than 150 types of firearms, a new Fox News poll shows that two-thirds of American voters who have guns in their household would “defy” any law requiring them to give up the guns.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/27/poll-two-thirds-of-american-voters-with-household-guns-would-defy-gun-laws/

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

J-Greens
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 4:07 am

Well isn't that obvious? Perhaps the Police would start following the job description - uphold the law. Or better yet, put a fine on breaking those new laws, since so many Americans will break it, it'll help kick start the Economy.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 4:25 am

Eh, every American already commits an average of 3 felonies a day if federal laws are interpreted in their strictest fashion, what difference does a couple more make? Making laws and enforcing them are vastly different things, as I've pointed out numerous times in the other thread where I've described my carry habits and disregard for "gun free zones", and as a licensed carrier nearing a decade of undetected CCW, I'm in a position to know how hard even the most cursory restrictions are to enforce. Hell, as a guy who can make a phone call and have virtually any non-radioactive illegal substance delivered, I think I can comment on the futility of prohibitions generally.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 7:55 am

Yeah, I've heard at least a couple gun owners say that they have firmly decided rather than have their guns taken away they'd go down shooting and take at least a few others with them. Also, that they re stocking up making lots of ammunition. They spend a lot of money and time obsessing about it. It seems to be almost a religion with them. (A pursuit to which they ascribe supreme importance.)

b9
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 8:44 am

alpineglow wrote:
Yeah, I've heard at least a couple gun owners say that they have firmly decided rather than have their guns taken away they'd go down shooting

it is complete madness. they would die for their belief that guns save lives.

i will just talk about australia here, and whilst the complexities of our social fabric are not comparable to those in the US, i still think that what i think has validity.

i presume that every person i see walking freely around me does not have a gun on their person.
private non hunting guns are illegal in australia, and because they are illegal, only the criminally minded who know other criminals can acquire a gun. i would not have the first idea about where to obtain a gun, and neither would almost anyone else.

these criminals who have a black market knowledge buy guns, but they are not stupid. they use their guns on their enemies, and considering i am not an enemy of any criminal, i feel completely safe and free.

if i lived in a place where everyone had guns concealed on their person, i would be extremely worried that any altercation may result in death. it would be nerve wracking for me to know that if i was in a shopping center with 1000 other people, that any one of them could kill me if they went berserk.

it is certainly better to outlaw guns, because guns used in a dispute make a point that can never be renegotiated.

hblu1992
Raven
Raven

28 Jan 2013, 8:52 am

The laws are futile anyway.Theyre made by people who dont understand that a simple submachine gun like a Sten can be produced in someones garage with simple equpment.The israelis made them in undergound workshops during the war for independance in the 1940s.hell there are people will 3d printers making working 30 round AR-15 mags on computers and printing them out .People dont seem to get that a magazine is literally a box with a spring and a submachine gun is a basically a stronger box with 2 spings a pin, a tube and a block of metal in it.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 9:31 am

Dox47 wrote:
Eh, every American already commits an average of 3 felonies a day if federal laws are interpreted in their strictest fashion, what difference does a couple more make? Making laws and enforcing them are vastly different things, as I've pointed out numerous times in the other thread where I've described my carry habits and disregard for "gun free zones", and as a licensed carrier nearing a decade of undetected CCW, I'm in a position to know how hard even the most cursory restrictions are to enforce. Hell, as a guy who can make a phone call and have virtually any non-radioactive illegal substance delivered, I think I can comment on the futility of prohibitions generally.
what are these felonies that the average american commits every day.can you give a specific example.

likely a lot of these possible new gun laws would be enforced by priority,example;
massachusetts outlaws any gun safe with glass in it,however the law is only enforced if someone shoots themselves or another person and the shooter does not have a Mass FID card.so lets say husband has mass fid card and wife does not not.wife is feeling suicidal and breaks glass and gets gun and shoots her self,husband would be arrested.but if the husband say accidenty shoots himself then he would not be in trouble because he was authorized to have a gun in the first place

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 10:23 am

John_Browning wrote:
Quote:
As anti-gun lawmakers push for a government ban of more than 150 types of firearms, a new Fox News poll shows that two-thirds of American voters who have guns in their household would “defy” any law requiring them to give up the guns.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/27/poll-two-thirds-of-american-voters-with-household-guns-would-defy-gun-laws/

No surprise there. Look what happened during Prohibition. Eventually most people just ignored the law.

ruveyn

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 12:04 pm

b9 wrote:
alpineglow wrote:
Yeah, I've heard at least a couple gun owners say that they have firmly decided rather than have their guns taken away they'd go down shooting

i will just talk about australia here, and whilst the complexities of our social fabric are not comparable to those in the US, i still think that what i think has validity.

i presume that every person i see walking freely around me does not have a gun on their person.
private non hunting guns are illegal in australia, and because they are illegal, only the criminally minded who know other criminals can acquire a gun. i would not have the first idea about where to obtain a gun, and neither would almost anyone else.

these criminals who have a black market knowledge buy guns, but they are not stupid. they use their guns on their enemies, and considering i am not an enemy of any criminal, i feel completely safe and free.

if i lived in a place where everyone had guns concealed on their person, i would be extremely worried that any altercation may result in death. it would be nerve wracking for me to know that if i was in a shopping center with 1000 other people, that any one of them could kill me if they went berserk.

it is certainly better to outlaw guns, because guns used in a dispute make a point that can never be renegotiated.

If you don't feel you can control yourself with a firearm, I would strongly discourage you from ever handling one. If you are referring to other people, I'm sure Aussies handle guns every day without incident: police, military, sportsmen, etc. Putting on a uniform doesn't automatically render one capable of handling firearms.

This bit that the US is some kind of shooting gallery with innocent people taking their lives in their hands every time they walk out their doors is simply false. This is the construction of a hostile media.

My British friend and his new girlfriend came to see me around Christmas. She was extremely worried because she had the same misinformation you do. My friend and I pulled research off the Internet showing that if the inner cities are excluded, America has a homicide rate comparable to Belgium's. Where I live in Texas as a case in point: You can buy ammo in convenience stores, almost everybody has a gun, and yet shootings are as rare as hen's teeth.

According to R.J. Rummel, 170 MILLION innocent people were murdered by their own governments in the twentieth century. Does anybody really believe criminals killed anywhere close to that number? So, anybody looking to control guns for humanitarian reasons should be looking to take guns out of the hands of government.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 12:11 pm

b9 wrote:
alpineglow wrote:

I agree with b9.

JBlitzen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jan 2013, 12:41 pm

b9 wrote:
alpineglow wrote:

if i lived in a place where everyone had guns concealed on their person, i would be extremely worried that any altercation I cause may result in my death. it would be nerve wracking for me to know that if i was in a shopping center with 1000 other people, that any one of them could kill me if I went berserk.

There we go. Three tiny changes and suddenly all your BS is laid bare.

dajand8
Raven
Raven

28 Jan 2013, 1:07 pm

In my opinion, the owning of assault rifles, sawed off shotguns, and other such killing machines is selfish. You are valuing your ability to own and play with your "toy" over the safety and well being of others. The government in the U.S.A. needs to not just ban the production of new such items, but actively collect all those already on the streets. People obsessed with violent machines seem to have an imbalance innately, causing them to want to posses these things in the first place. What makes the situation worse is the addition of the right-wing propaganda machine. These people are so brainwashed they really do think the government is out to get them. They are told every day in their little bubble of life that they are under attack. Really it is them who bully and seek to intimidate the educated, thinking class. Shame on the selfish! Patriotism is about putting the country first, not preparing for an armed rebellion against the government.

JBlitzen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jan 2013, 1:34 pm

dajand8 wrote:
In my opinion, the owning of assault rifles, sawed off shotguns, and other such killing machines is selfish. You are valuing your ability to own and play with your "toy" over the safety and well being of others. The government in the U.S.A. needs to not just ban the production of new such items, but actively collect all those already on the streets. People obsessed with violent machines seem to have an imbalance innately, causing them to want to posses these things in the first place. What makes the situation worse is the addition of the right-wing propaganda machine. These people are so brainwashed they really do think the government is out to get them. They are told every day in their little bubble of life that they are under attack. Really it is them who bully and seek to intimidate the educated, thinking class. Shame on the selfish! Patriotism is about putting the country first, not preparing for an armed rebellion against the government.

Right. The government should confiscate all guns, because the people who own them have nothing to worry about, because the government would never try to disempower them by confiscating all guns.

I like how, in your mind, that actually makes sense.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 1:36 pm

dajand8 wrote:
In my opinion, the owning of assault rifles, sawed off shotguns, and other such killing machines is selfish.

Yeah, I do have quite a few of them.
Greedy me. :D

dajand8 wrote:
You are valuing your ability to own and play with your "toy" over the safety and well being of others.

What are my guns doing that affects the safety of anyone. Are they escaping and doing stuff while no one’s home to watch them?

dajand8 wrote:
The government in the U.S.A. needs to not just ban the production of new such items, but actively collect all those already on the streets.

Good luck with that. :lmao:

dajand8 wrote:
People obsessed with violent machines seem to have an imbalance innately, causing them to want to posses these things in the first place.

All of the gun owners I know are well balanced or I wouldn’t have anything to do with them.

dajand8 wrote:
What makes the situation worse is the addition of the right-wing propaganda machine.

Yeah, like there’s no left wing propaganda machine. :roll:

dajand8 wrote:
These people are so brainwashed they really do think the government is out to get them. They are told every day in their little bubble of life that they are under attack.

Tens of millions of people murdered by governments in the past 100 years says a lot about how wonderful government isn’t.

dajand8 wrote:
Really it is them who bully and seek to intimidate the educated, thinking class.

A lot of educated gun enthusiast around where I live and where I have lived.

dajand8 wrote:
Shame on the selfish! Patriotism is about putting the country first, not preparing for an armed rebellion against the government.

You don’t know what patriotism is.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 3:08 pm

This doesn't seem surprising. Whenever there's talk of gun control people run out to buy guns before they might get banned. Do these people intend to turn them in afterwards? Of course not, otherwise their timing would be very poor.
I heard the good old Mosin-Nagant is selling very well, because it's so cheap.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 3:41 pm

dajand8 wrote:
Shame on the selfish! Patriotism is about putting the country first, not preparing for an armed rebellion against the government.

What if the government is no f****ing good and is ruining the country? Would you have thought ill of the Germans if they had revolted against the Nazi regime when they still could have?

ruveyn

Last edited by ruveyn on 28 Jan 2013, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.