Is organised religion a general enemy of humanity?

Page 12 of 13 [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Is organised religion a general enemy of humanity?
Yes 69%  69%  [ 42 ]
No 31%  31%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 61

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 4:17 am

AspieOtaku wrote:

It would be more accurate to say that there is no way for God to be caring about creatures whom he allows to suffer and die.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 4:29 am

MCalavera wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:

It would be more accurate to say that there is no way for God to be caring about creatures whom he allows to suffer and die.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Telekon
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Feb 2013, 10:21 am

MCalavera wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:

What if the suffering is temporary? I don't see why God is obligated to make everyone immortal. It may not be within his power to do that anyway.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 10:26 am

Telekon wrote:
What if the suffering is temporary? I don't see why God is obligated to make everyone immortal. It may not be within his power to do that anyway.

Funny that God can do some awful things but can't do other things. He doesn't stop people being killed because of their sexuality, or because of their religion, or because of their gender, or because some people are simply psychopathic scumbags.

ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 10:38 am

Telekon wrote:

Then why worship him? If there is a god who is capable of creating such a complex universe with such complex organisms and ecosystems, why isn't he capable of creating a world in which everybody is truly happy, constantly, without geting tired of that hapiness? It's obvious that if he can do the first things I mentioned, he can make the last one. However he chose not to do it? Does that make us lab rats for his own sadistic amusement? I prefer to give him the finger in the improbable scenario of him existing than worshiping such a sick old man.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 11:07 am

When people are still being burned alive by Christians, it is safe to say that religion is a threat to humanity.

Tequila started a thread on a recent "witch-burning" in Papua New Guinea HERE.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 11:11 am

Fnord wrote:
When people are still being burned alive by Christians, it is safe to say that religion is a threat to humanity.

It's nice to be able to prove to Christians that Christianity isn't tea at the Ritz and pretty little bows everywhere in the world. In some corners of the world, it's as barbaric as ever.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 11:26 am

Tequila wrote:
Fnord wrote:
When people are still being burned alive by Christians, it is safe to say that religion is a threat to humanity. Tequila started a thread on a recent "witch-burning" in Papua New Guinea HERE.
It's nice to be able to prove to Christians that Christianity isn't tea at the Ritz and pretty little bows everywhere in the world. In some corners of the world, it's as barbaric as ever.

While we may present all available proof of claim, there is no reason to expect that any "True" Christian will compromise their confirmation bias.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Telekon
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Feb 2013, 11:49 am

Tequila wrote:
Telekon wrote:

Funny that God can do some awful things but can't do other things. He doesn't stop people being killed because of their sexuality, or because of their religion, or because of their gender, or because some people are simply psychopathic scumbags.

God didn't create a terrestrial day care center. He created beings with the ability to accept or reject him, and a consequence of that is the ability to abuse that freedom. God can't be responsible for us when we have that ability ourselves. It is incumbent on humans to identify people who wantonly kill over some arbitrary characteristic and detain them. This world is our fiefdom and our responsibility; God's will is rarely done on earth.

ModusPonens wrote:
Then why worship him? If there is a god who is capable of creating such a complex universe with such complex organisms and ecosystems, why isn't he capable of creating a world in which everybody is truly happy, constantly, without geting tired of that hapiness? It's obvious that if he can do the first things I mentioned, he can make the last one. However he chose not to do it? Does that make us lab rats for his own sadistic amusement? I prefer to give him the finger in the improbable scenario of him existing than worshiping such a sick old man.

God has created such a world called Heaven. The suffering we endure in this life is temporary. I won't pretend to know what the purpose of it all is, but we can alleviate it. Eventually it will completely alleviated.

Telekon
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Feb 2013, 11:51 am

Fnord wrote:
Tequila wrote:
Fnord wrote:
When people are still being burned alive by Christians, it is safe to say that religion is a threat to humanity. Tequila started a thread on a recent "witch-burning" in Papua New Guinea HERE.

While we may present all available proof of claim, there is no reason to expect that any "True" Christian will compromise their confirmation bias.

It's an irrelevant issue. Christianity doesn't prescribe the burning of witches.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 12:07 pm

Fnord wrote:

Religion doesn't burn those people, other people do.

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 12:26 pm

Really interesting post. The replies are stunning in their naivete.

But, everyone is allowed an opinion...

ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 3:05 pm

Telekon wrote:
ModusPonens wrote:

God has created such a world called Heaven. The suffering we endure in this life is temporary. I won't pretend to know what the purpose of it all is, but we can alleviate it. Eventually it will completely alleviated.

Then what is hell for? To viciously torture in all kinds of ways for eternety, those who don't believe in a god who proposefuly created a world with all clues pointing against his existence? That is indeed a sick, disgusting being I would never worship.

On the free will thing: if god is all knowing and created us, he already knew in what way we would choose each and every choice we make. He then blaims us for what was his creation and tortures (some of) us for eternety. That is indeed a sick, disgusting being I would never worship.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 3:15 pm

Jaden wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Religion doesn't burn those people, other people do.

Those "other people" are persons who are motivated by their religious doctrines. Religion is, by and large, a collection of memes, some of the harmful in that that lead to bad ideas which in term produce bad actions. The religion I was brought up in, Juadaism, has one horrible meme: The meme of The Chosen People. Not only does it lead to unjust actions, but other people can pick it up and turn it against those who originated it. For example the Nazis: their version was The Super Race which implied other races were inferior and could be enslaved or even disposed of. It was a kind of strange "justice" that led to Jews being killed on the pretext that some Chosen People, i.e. the Super Duper Aryan Race, had the right, nay the duty, to dispose of them.

Beware of one's "best" ideas. They may come back to haunt.

ruveyn

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 3:37 pm

Telekon wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Tequila wrote:
Fnord wrote:

It's an irrelevant issue. Christianity doesn't prescribe the burning of witches.

Yep the people from the Spanish Inquisition who participated in witch-burnings are likely roasting in hell.(if hell even exists)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 3:40 pm

Telekon wrote:

Not so. The misinterpretation of: "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" (Ex: 22:18) was used to justify the hanging and burning of women accused of witchcraft.

The Gentiles got it all wrong.

ruveyn