[UK] Boris Johnson condemns Cameron's alcohol price plans

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 12:13 pm

Quote:
Boris Johnson condemns David Cameron's minimum alcohol price plans
  • Boris Johnson has criticised David Cameron's "regressive" plans to bring in a minimum alchohol price, saying it will not stop binge-drinking.
The Mayor of London said the flagship policy championed by the Prime Minister will hit poor people but fail to tackle the problem of excessive drinking.
The proposals for a minimum 45p per unit price on alcohol are meant to target those who those who consume excessive amounts of cheap drink and cause anti-social behaviour.

However, Mr Johnson told The Evening Standard that there are better ways of dealing with the blight of drunken revellers on Britain's high streets.

I agree with him. I know of very few people who are drinkers who have done any amount of thinking about it at all that support these plans. This plan is apparently massively unpopular even in Cameron's own Cabinet.

This alcohol pricing plan hits poor people. It hits people who drink moderately at home. It hits people who drink a lot at home but aren't a nuisance to anyone else. It doesn't really affect middle class people, or rich people. The same sorts of people that get hammered in the high street every weekend will still do that. Even from a very left-wing perspective, it's a retrograde and regressive piece of law that punishes the poor.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 2:01 pm

The effect of this will mean I won't be able to get a bottle of wine for £4 any more. Each bottle will cost me close to £5 (it usually costs me north of that if I'm getting it just to drink and not to cook with). I cook with the wine as much as I drink it. I'll have to put less wine in my stews an casseroles (I do probably use too much, but I just love the way it smells as it cooks).

I think 45p a unit is too expensive but I'm not adverse to a minimum unit price on principle. The fact it that people who drink heavily in their own homes are a burden on society because they tend to be the ones with alcoholism. Even most of the people who are drunk in the streets at the weekend got 'warmed up' by drinking at home before going to the nightclub.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 2:20 pm

That sounds like a ridiculous price. The cheapest wine in the Netherlands is about 2,50 - 3 euros. Drinks with higher alcohol content are taxed higher.
Whenever I was in a German supermarket just across the border, there were always lots of Dutch people just to buy loads of alcohol and sigarettes. Same way the Germans come here to buy the green stuff.
The British should do the same if they live close to Ireland or France (I don't know, but my guess is they don't tax it in this ridiculous way).