Darth Penalty and abortion ethical question

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 2:30 pm

I wonder why so many people at the supports abortion while same time is against the execution of violent offenders (mass murders, rapists-murders, pedophile-murders etc)

I expected fair debate, what do you think.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 2:33 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
I wonder why so many people at the supports abortion while same time is against the execution of violent offenders (mass murders, rapists-murders, pedophile-murders etc)

They believe fetuses are little babies who are innocent and should not be killed. Whereas murderers and rapists are guilty and should be eliminated, so they think.

ruveyn

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 3:01 pm

I am not familiar with the Darth Penalty, but I do support stiff sentences for Sith lords.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 3:10 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:

I support abortion rights, and I'm against the death penalty. I'm not against killing people, since there are good reasons sometimes to kill people. In a hostage situation, the police may kill someone. If your life is threatened, you can kill. So it's not that killing is always wrong. I'm against the death penalty because sometimes the court system gets it wrong. Innocent people go to death row. So how many innocent people are we willing to kill just to get rid of a criminal permanently? We can keep them in jail for life, it costs less, and their case can always be appealed.

I'm in favor of abortion rights because I think it's important to have control over your own reproductive system. You are the one who is going to be responsible for that future child. Killing a fetus isn't a penalty, it ensures that those babies that are born are born into a good supportive home.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 3:17 pm

Actually, incidences of child abuse have skyrocketed since the legalization of abortion. This is because any devaluation of life devalues all life. That is the same reason why I oppose the death penalty.

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 3:24 pm

First, there's the human issue. A fetus that can be legally aborted is not advanced enough to be considered a fully-fledged human. They can not feel pain, they have no personality, they have no memory, because they have no nervous system. They are a bundle of cells with the potential to become a human. In opposition to this, a man or woman being killed, regardless of their crime, is a human being. They have memories, they have hopes, they feel pain, they have mothers and fathers, and maybe children that love them. It is easier to empathize with an adult, even a monstrous one, than it is a ball of flesh.

Second, there's practicality. Whatever you think of abortions, take away that outlet, and you find yourself in situations like we did even 50 years ago, with women visiting back-alley "surgeons" wielding coat hangers, and often contracting tetanus and other illnesses, since these guys had no oversight. You may not like abortions, but recognize that regardless of legislation, women are going to seek them, and it's better to have regulations. So, I can protest the death penalty all I want to save a life, but if I want to outlaw abortions, I'll have more blood on my hands.

Then we could also point out that many of the people sitting on death row are innocent, or even more so, repentant. A man can, contrary to popular belief, make something of himself in prison and turn his life around. Many have done it. Hard to do when your dead. Also, how can we execute a man or woman without 100% certainty that they are guilty? We put their lives in the hands of twelve people who don't want to be there and just want to get the trial over with and go home. There will be and have been mistakes. Those mistakes aren't punishment. They're legal murder.

Personally, I don't support abortion, but I do support its legalization, because the alternative is worse. I also do support the death penalty, because for all the mistakes, we have limited tax money, and better things to spend it on than keeping prison inmates alive. I just demand that the legal system be better.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 3:34 pm

ruveyn wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:

They believe fetuses are little babies who are innocent and should not be killed. Whereas murderers and rapists are guilty and should be eliminated, so they think.

ruveyn

you're answering the opposite of what he asked.

Lets all just take it from the top.

Okay...

Why is it that: on on hand prochoice folks tend to be anti-death penalty, while on the other hand right-to-lifers tend to be pro death penalty? Both combinations of postions would seem to be contradictory.

The first group say that a fetus is not yet a person.
The second group say that both fetuses and felons are human, but only the felons are- felons-who have done heinous things to be punished for- so KILL 'em.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 3:58 pm

ruveyn wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:

ruveyn

That is my point excaly.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Mar 2013, 4:22 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Actually, incidences of child abuse have skyrocketed since the legalization of abortion. This is because any devaluation of life devalues all life. That is the same reason why I oppose the death penalty.

Or it could be because we didn't consider things like hitting your children to be abuse before we legalised abortion.

Correlation is not causation.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 5:12 pm

YippySkippy wrote:

Me too while support death penalty, because it has a deterrent effect. But I am strongly opposed to the killing of innocent children who are not even have chance to be born

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 5:41 pm

The death penalty has no deterrent effect, most people who commit crimes don't think they'll be caught and often the police is too stupid to catch a clever criminal.

Market fundamentalists devalue life more than anyone else.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 5:46 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:

Me too while support death penalty, because it has a deterrent effect. But I am strongly opposed to the killing of innocent children who are not even have chance to be born

Abortion around the world: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion#M ... ortion_law
The light orange countries don't even allow abortion for rape.

And here are the laws on the death penalty: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_pena ... stribution

Seems there is some correlation there. Many places seem to have abortion and no death penalty, or death penalty and no abortion.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 6:06 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:

Or it could be because we didn't consider things like hitting your children to be abuse before we legalised abortion.

Correlation is not causation.

Beat me to it.

I highly doubt the actual rates of abuse are rising, but I suspect that a greater percentage of abuse cases are reported these days.

You will reap what you've sown.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 6:15 pm

i am pro-choice, and i am also not opposed to the death penalty (it doesn't exist where i live so it's a moot point). must people always follow certain exact lines of thought, or is that some american political packaging thing?

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 6:43 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
i am pro-choice, and i am also not opposed to the death penalty (it doesn't exist where i live so it's a moot point). must people always follow certain exact lines of thought, or is that some american political packaging thing?

My feeling is that it mostly runs along religious lines, especially with abortion. In the Netherlands there is only 1 political party in favour of the death penalty, and they're extremely conservative christians with only 2 seats of 150. The other 10 parties are against.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 9:03 pm

trollcatman wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:

Abortion around the world: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion#M ... ortion_law
The light orange countries don't even allow abortion for rape.

And here are the laws on the death penalty: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_pena ... stribution

Seems there is some correlation there. Many places seem to have abortion and no death penalty, or death penalty and no abortion.

You should also post a link to a map of the world's religions.

Any such map would show the green of Islam spreading across north africa, the middle east, Afganistan, and pakistan, in a way that correlates dramatically with that orange of extreme anti abortion color on that map. Iran, Sudan, Saudi Arabia, are all deep orange - all adamantly pro life.

So all of you Right-to-lifers would have to agree that the moral beacon of the world must be Mecca.

All of you pro-death and pro-life folks should lead the way in making nice with the Islamic world because -they are obviously the most civilized folks in the world! And you should be the first westerners to recognize that.

OH!

There is that TINY little blue pin prick in that big swath of orange. That blemish would be...Israel!

Apparently Israel is a den of abortion allowing inequity in the heart of the moral middle east.

So why do all those American Evangelicals travel to, and actively support. the only nation in the middle east that allows abortion? Seems like yet another contradiction.