Page 5 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 8:39 am

I guessed I missed the edit window for my post so I'll have to make a new one. Consider this an addendum to above post.

Yes, I realize that science is full of narratives. But science as a whole (and sometimes individual scientists but sometimes not) are able to discard narratives that don't align with evidence as it is discovered. Science is also able to juggle various narratives as possibilities without declaring that a particular one is the only possibility and that no other could ever be possible. It will often be that one is held up as the one that must be true given the evidence currently known but there is always the possibility that future evidence may upend a current narrative or tweak it.

This is rather different from embracing anything you can think up as equally possible absent evidence. Science always requires evidence but allows that evidence is cumulative and we have not accumulated all there is and may never (the limit being what we can do as a species). This doesn't mean that everything is equally likely. Someday it may be discovered that people go to another dimension after death but some don't get there entirely. But absent that evidence, I don't believe in ghosts.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 8:19 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
Oh my the arrogance. "My version of philosophy proves God" Lintar your assumptions are something that most physicists and anyone seeking real understanding would never take seriously.

I'm not arrogant. It is, however, true that I am always right, but that's just a reality that people should simply accept.

Besides, false humility (and it's always false) is always engaged in by those who wish others to view them as being self-effacing and, therefore, 'better' in terms of their character than the majority who are seen as being relatively self-centred and egotistical.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 8:34 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
Lintar wrote:
People who ask the question, 'Who, or what, created God?', are asking a question that no philosopher or theologian would ever take seriously.

That’s nothing short of an ad verecundiam argument to suppress the question rather than answer it.

Lintar wrote:
You're basically asking, 'Who, or what, created that which is atemporal and therefore has no beginning in time, is what is known as a necessary entity and therefore was not created, and which provides the ultimate explanation (i.e. effectively short-circuits the infinite regress issue) for why there is something rather than nothing?'

Only if you accept the premise that God is atemporal and a necessary entity, and, declaring Him to be the ultimate explanation, refuse to inquire any further.

Lintar wrote:
I mean, seriously. A question like this is only ever asked by the philosophically naive.

Now you escalate to mildly insulting whoever questions the aforementioned beliefs, while avoiding the matter itself.

Lintar wrote:
Nothing 'created God'. That is the simple, straight and truthful answer, the only answer.

Why? Because you say so, I suppose, since there’s no other reason.

Lintar wrote:
(By the way, by 'nothing' I don't mean 'gravity', 'branes' or 'a quantum vacuum soup' - I mean 'a complete absence of all, no-thing as such' - i.e. the true meaning of the word).

It’s hard to tell what exactly “nothing at all” means in a profound sense. The problem is similar to the paradoxes which pop up if you want to have a “set of all sets” in mathematics. Intuitively, if your “nothing” excludes gravity, branes, etc., why should it not exclude spacetime itself? After all, according to general relativity, gravity is nothing but the curvature of spacetime, and branes are structures made of spacetime, too. But now that the concept of time has been thus engulfed by science, there’s no room anymore for philosophical speculation taking a Newtonian time for granted. An Abrahamic-like God existing outside spacetime might as well not exist at all as far as we are concerned, because there’s no way to interact with it, anywhere in space or at any point in time. You could just as easily postulate the existence of any other kind of metaphysical being.

When you consider the whole of spacetime, the Big Bang is the beginning of time itself, just like the North Pole is the beginning of geographical latitude on Earth. There’s nothing special about that point in spacetime to warrant a particular connection with a metaphysical entity that you don’t feel the need to ascribe to any other point.

This could be the beginning of an interesting discussion, but …

Lintar wrote:
No 'Spiderpig', the question itself is a profoundly stupid one, a question that demonstrates, like nothing else does, the ignorance of the one asking it.

… you shut it down by further escalating your insults. In real life, this usually means that you’re offended by the question we’re discussing and that you will react with force to suppress it if others keep annoying you by not letting the matter go, instead of accepting the view you defend.

So, as I said before, the ultimate argument is force. We’re living beings, adapted to fighting for survival. Our very ability to discuss complex things is an accident.

No, all you state here is completely wrong.

The question 'Who created God?' is the wrong type of question to ask, because (among other reasons) if God was created by something (or someone?), then one may as well abandon the idea entirely, because you would then have to ask, 'What created the creator of God?' and this inevitably leads to infinite regression of causes.
I understand that there are almost as many views of God's essential characteristics as there are theists and athiests, but progress in the fields of philosophy and theology have been made, and many of the ideas we thought were correct turned out not to be. The 'God' that I have in mind is not in any sense 'religious' (I wouldn't recommend that anyone worship it); it is, nothing more and nothing less, than the essential something that simply must underlie the purely contingent reality that so many - mistakenly - think is eternal and necessary.
Nothing is literally 'no-thing'; it isn't anything, because it is an absence of all there could be. That is the basic, dictionary definition of the term. I simply cannot understand how you could not see this, rather obvious, point. Maybe you were just joking (or something).

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 8:54 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
When you consider the whole of spacetime, the Big Bang is the beginning of time itself, just like the North Pole is the beginning of geographical latitude on Earth. There’s nothing special about that point in spacetime to warrant a particular connection with a metaphysical entity that you don’t feel the need to ascribe to any other point.

Lintar wrote:
No 'Spiderpig', the question itself is a profoundly stupid one, a question that demonstrates, like nothing else does, the ignorance of the one asking it.

… you shut it down by further escalating your insults. In real life, this usually means that you’re offended by the question we’re discussing and that you will react with force to suppress it if others keep annoying you by not letting the matter go, instead of accepting the view you defend.

So, as I said before, the ultimate argument is force. We’re living beings, adapted to fighting for survival. Our very ability to discuss complex things is an accident.

Point 1 (about spacetime): How do you know that this particular view of reality is actually true? Unless you are a cosmologist yourself, then you are just repeating what someone told you in a book. We don't know if this analogy of yours is accurate, although it might be. Even if it is accurate, it will still not really answer the question of why this kind of universe had to be and not some other, or why there had to be a universe at all in the first place.

Point 2 (about it being an interesting discussion): Yes, it is interesting. No 'buts' about it :D

Point 3 (about insults and being offended by the question): No, I'm not offended by the question, I just think it's silly. No one who is a Muslim, Christian or Jew believes in a god that was created. They don't because they can immediately see that if they did then this 'god' they believed in would be a false one. It's obvious to them, and yet for some weird reason modern-day atheists seem to think that one can object to the reality of God by asking, 'Ok then... what created God?'
Insults? What insults? I just don't see any here. I mention that the question is 'stupid', but that's a reference to the question itself (and it is stupid). '...it demonstrates the ignorance of the one asking it', could, I suppose, be taken as an insult, but what I mean't was that people who are serious about seeking and finding answers to life's big questions (no, not atheistic cosmologists, but true seekers after truth - i.e. philosophers and theologians) would never make the mistake of going down such a blind alley.

Point 4 (our ability to discuss complex things is just 'an accident') Well, you can believe this if you want to, but I find such a notion to be impossible and preposterous. I simply cannot take such a claim seriously.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 8:59 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
Spiderpig :hail:

I guess you're easily impressed (in this case by sophistry).

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 12:08 am

If you believe the Bible, no one created God. God has always existed and is quite mysterious. He has no name, he has no form, yet made everything and causes things to happen, both good and bad. God is just always there. God is a great power of some kind.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 6:28 am

Lintar wrote:
Spiderpig wrote:

Lintar wrote:

Point 1 (about spacetime): How do you know that this particular view of reality is actually true? Unless you are a cosmologist yourself, then you are just repeating what someone told you in a book. We don't know if this analogy of yours is accurate, although it might be. Even if it is accurate, it will still not really answer the question of why this kind of universe had to be and not some other, or why there had to be a universe at all in the first place.

Point 2 (about it being an interesting discussion): Yes, it is interesting. No 'buts' about it :D

Point 3 (about insults and being offended by the question): No, I'm not offended by the question, I just think it's silly. No one who is a Muslim, Christian or Jew believes in a god that was created. They don't because they can immediately see that if they did then this 'god' they believed in would be a false one. It's obvious to them, and yet for some weird reason modern-day atheists seem to think that one can object to the reality of God by asking, 'Ok then... what created God?'
Insults? What insults? I just don't see any here. I mention that the question is 'stupid', but that's a reference to the question itself (and it is stupid). '...it demonstrates the ignorance of the one asking it', could, I suppose, be taken as an insult, but what I mean't was that people who are serious about seeking and finding answers to life's big questions (no, not atheistic cosmologists, but true seekers after truth - i.e. philosophers and theologians) would never make the mistake of going down such a blind alley.

Point 4 (our ability to discuss complex things is just 'an accident') Well, you can believe this if you want to, but I find such a notion to be impossible and preposterous. I simply cannot take such a claim seriously.

1) we don't, but it has evidence supporting the claim, so we assume it is true untill we get evidence telling us otherwise.
indeed, we are repeating what is written in a book, but so are you. at least ours is updated regularly and offers testable evidence.

and you are correct, this universe didn't *have* to be, yet it is.

2) your offhand mention of not taking scientific views seriously prevents a discussion, that is the"but"

3) isn't this what you are doing? asking "what sparked the big bang?" or "what happened before there was time?". also, if god were created, that didn't make him false, he would still have been able to create us...
a deist being able to "instantly see" that a super-god would invalidate their own believes, yet not even concidering the fact that the 'regular-god' might also be incorrect displays the blindfolding power of dogma; putting fingers in your ears yelling "lalalala i'm right, you're not lalalalala"

you did insult spiderpig, by stating the question displayed the ignorance of the one asking it, you called him ignorant, since he did ask the question.

4) and i find the idea of an alknowing being existing outside of time, that wrote a book full of internal inconsistencies and scientific mistakes (about his own creation) to be "impossible and preposterous. I simply cannot take such a claim seriously."

i mean, if i created the solar system and wrote a book, why would i write that the sun orbits the earth? that's just stupid to do and makes the reader doubt everything else in the book as well...

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 2:39 pm

The discussion in this thread was initially about whether it makes logical sense for something to be "all knowing" or whether this notion leads to logical contradiction rather than the argument from infinite regression which is what people are talking about now. Nonetheless, the current discussion is still interesting, so carry on.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 6:01 pm

[quote="Jono"][/quote]

Answer: Man

God is the personification of all things, all mysteries, all knowledge, all abilities, etc...

Then we discovered that if we worked at it we could understand nature and not need the childish fantasy of a god.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 6:57 pm

izzeme wrote:
Lintar wrote:
Spiderpig wrote:

Lintar wrote:

1) we don't, but it has evidence supporting the claim, so we assume it is true untill we get evidence telling us otherwise.
indeed, we are repeating what is written in a book, but so are you. at least ours is updated regularly and offers testable evidence.

and you are correct, this universe didn't *have* to be, yet it is.

2) your offhand mention of not taking scientific views seriously prevents a discussion, that is the"but"

3) isn't this what you are doing? asking "what sparked the big bang?" or "what happened before there was time?". also, if god were created, that didn't make him false, he would still have been able to create us...
a deist being able to "instantly see" that a super-god would invalidate their own believes, yet not even concidering the fact that the 'regular-god' might also be incorrect displays the blindfolding power of dogma; putting fingers in your ears yelling "lalalala i'm right, you're not lalalalala"

you did insult spiderpig, by stating the question displayed the ignorance of the one asking it, you called him ignorant, since he did ask the question.

4) and i find the idea of an alknowing being existing outside of time, that wrote a book full of internal inconsistencies and scientific mistakes (about his own creation) to be "impossible and preposterous. I simply cannot take such a claim seriously."

i mean, if i created the solar system and wrote a book, why would i write that the sun orbits the earth? that's just stupid to do and makes the reader doubt everything else in the book as well...

Point 1a: 'We don't, but it has evidence supporting the claim, so we assume it is true untill we get evidence telling us otherwise.'

Theists are constantly charged with making this mistake, of just assuming that God is real when, it is said, they have no reason to, even though they may have very good reasons to believe what they do. I thought the default option regarding any claim was always scepticism, until any evidence, such as there may be, can settle the issue? Why the double-standard? The 'evidence' you mention - where is it? Could you provide a link to anything reputable that deals with this specific claim: 'When you consider the whole of spacetime, the Big Bang is the beginning of time itself, just like the North Pole is the beginning of geographical latitude on Earth. There’s nothing special about that point in spacetime to warrant a particular connection with a metaphysical entity that you don’t feel the need to ascribe to any other point'.

Point 1b: 'indeed, we are repeating what is written in a book, but so are you. at least ours is updated regularly and offers testable evidence.'

I am? Which book would that be? (Hint: It's not 'The Bible', I can assure you).

Point 2: 'your offhand mention of not taking scientific views seriously prevents a discussion, that is the"but"'

I do take them seriously though. What I do NOT take seriously are scientists who make metaphysical claims in popular science books like, 'Science has shown us we no longer need God', or 'Philosophy is dead'. One notorious example: “Some would claim the answer to these questions is that there is a God who chose to create the universe that way. It is reasonable to ask who or what created the universe, but if the answer is God, then the question has merely been deflected to that of who created God. In this view it is accepted that some entity exists that needs no creator, and that entity is called God. This is known as the first-cause argument for the existence of God. We claim, however, that it is possible to answer these questions purely within the realm of science, and without invoking any divine beings.” See - http://www.albertmohler.com/2010/09/07/ ... -creation/

Point 3a: 'isn't this what you are doing? asking "what sparked the big bang?" or "what happened before there was time?".'

Yes, and I do not believe it was just 'nothing' (i.e. not anything as such, an absence of all, non-being, no-thing).

Point 3b: 'also, if god were created, that didn't make him false, he would still have been able to create us...'

God was not, because it could not, have been created. I never said (nor 'implied') this. For 'God' to be the ultimate answer to why there is something rather than nothing, it could not have been, in its turn, created by something else, because then one would have to abandon the idea entirely because one would not have reached the ultimate source of all there is.

Point 4: 'you did insult spiderpig, by stating the question displayed the ignorance of the one asking it, you called him ignorant, since he did ask the question.'

Yes, I did insult 'spiderpig' and I wish I could take what I said back, because I was in a bad mood, impatient, and just typed away, pressed 'submit' and there is was for all to see. A stupid mistake. I am sorry :(
From now on I won't say things like, 'If you are the type of person who believes such-and-such, you must be...' That's personal, and just not necessary... especially when one is winning the debate anyway :mrgreen:

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 7:04 pm

Clarification: Above I said:

'Theists are constantly charged with making this mistake, of just assuming that God is real when, it is said, they have no reason to, even though they may have very good reasons to believe what they do. I thought the default option regarding any claim was always scepticism, until any evidence, such as there may be, can settle the issue? Why the double-standard?'

I did this because much (though not all) evidence that I have thus far seen has been interpreted to point in this specific direction, the one that was mentioned (the North Pole analogy). It should not have to be pointed out that any conclusions regarding the true nature of the universe is, at this point in time, purely provisional and not at all set in stone, and that is why whenever anyone mentions the latest evidence for... whatever, I always reserve judgement. The evidence in question may substantiate a specific claim, but it's always prudent to keep one's mind open to the possibility they may be completely wrong in their interpretation of what it actually all means.
The truth of the matter is that so much of what we hear from cosmologists is based upon very little, if any, real evidence, and much speculation (ex. Where is the evidence for the Multiverse Hypothesis?).

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 8:21 am

Lintar wrote:

'Theists are constantly charged with making this mistake, of just assuming that God is real when, it is said, they have no reason to, even though they may have very good reasons to believe what they do. I thought the default option regarding any claim was always scepticism, until any evidence, such as there may be, can settle the issue? Why the double-standard?'

I did this because much (though not all) evidence that I have thus far seen has been interpreted to point in this specific direction, the one that was mentioned (the North Pole analogy). It should not have to be pointed out that any conclusions regarding the true nature of the universe is, at this point in time, purely provisional and not at all set in stone, and that is why whenever anyone mentions the latest evidence for... whatever, I always reserve judgement. The evidence in question may substantiate a specific claim, but it's always prudent to keep one's mind open to the possibility they may be completely wrong in their interpretation of what it actually all means.
The truth of the matter is that so much of what we hear from cosmologists is based upon very little, if any, real evidence, and much speculation (ex. Where is the evidence for the Multiverse Hypothesis?).

What about the evidence for God? There's not even any evidence that God exists, so how can there be evidence that he exists outside space and time?

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 11:18 am

Jono wrote:
Lintar wrote:

What about the evidence for God? There's not even any evidence that God exists, so how can there be evidence that he exists outside space and time?

The first problem with THAT is the assumption that GOD is an anthropomorphic HE.

God Is Nature AND that is plain as the nose on the face of human beings
whether that nose can 'smell' GOD or NOT.

To 'smell' GOD is evidence of GOD.

And for folks who cannot understand metaphors or GOD per how GOD works as force of verb rather than noun of thing, there is no understanding GOD and for all practical intents and purposes THE force OF GOD DOES not fully exist in the lives of those folks who

CANNOT 'SMELL' GOD.

I BREATHE IN THE FORCE OF GOD AS VERB WITH ALL MY SENSES
AND EMOTIONS AS A 'SMELLY' 'FEELY' HUMAN BEING.

THEREFORE I PROVE GOD
WITH
MY
EXISTENCE
AS
IS
verb of FORCE
rather than just
noun
of
material
reductionist
nihilist
thing.

Any questions..;)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 3:49 pm

^ Again, I find it useless to speculate about the nature of something when we don't even have evidence of it's existence.

Personally, I think there's a reason why religions tend to assume that their God or gods are anthropomorphic. That reason is that the idea of gods were thought up in the imagination of humans, therefore it's only natural that the people who thought them up would imagine them to be like themselves. I forget the name but I think that there was a greek philosopher who said "If we were horses, then our gods would look like horses."

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 3:51 pm

I've learned that if you keep asking yourself questions where there will never be a real answer to, you will drive yourself insane. So I stopped.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 4:09 pm

Jono wrote:
^ Again, I find it useless to speculate about the nature of something when we don't even have evidence of it's existence.

Personally, I think there's a reason why religions tend to assume that their God or gods are anthropomorphic. That reason is that the idea of gods were thought up in the imagination of humans, therefore it's only natural that the people who thought them up would imagine them to be like themselves. I forget the name but I think that there was a greek philosopher who said "If we were horses, then our gods would look like horses."

Humans are just one rather interesting manifestation of the GOD of Nature.

And IN TRUTH AND LIGHT IT'S AS SIMPLE AS THAT;

MY friend.

It's not @ALL odd that a human manifestation of the GOD of Nature will see GOD through the gift of GOD of Nature
that IS HUMAN NATURE.

THIS ISN'T 'rocket science', AND HONESTLY my cat has more sense about this than the majority of the population existing on this planet now WHO use illusory abstract concepts of language and culture, as manifesting extension in tool of human nature and the GOD of Nature too, to confuse reality, as is gifted by the GOD of Nature, as Human Nature set free as human nature, as GOD's gift of human as is...

Honestly, it just 'boils' down to IT is what IS IS AS ALL THAT IS IS NOW.

HUMANS 'F' THE REST OF IT UP, often, and 'insanely', through illusory concepts of language in the Cultural abstract illusions of past and present concepts of NOT living NOW, as is Human Nature, with the GOD of Nature that yes,

CAN be
set free, with common sense, more fully sought, found, employed, utilized, AND practiced in a continual 'perfection' of practice through greater "I'sSA's", Innate Instinctual Intuitive Imagination skills and abilities AND creativity IN fuller physical intelligence driving emotional regulation (like emotions of faith, hope, belief, and human relative free will), sensory integration, and greater cognitive executive functioning in enhanced focus and short term working memory.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick