Battlers for tolerance engage in actual persecution

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 4:10 pm

I never understood why this pizzeria in Indiana was getting so much attention, but thanks to a number of people on the left being asinine they now get to say they were prosecuted, as they were because of the widespread threats of violence and harassment against them on the Internet:

http://www.salon.com/2015/04/02/heres_h ... newsletter

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 4:36 pm

More on the coach who invited others to join her in burning down the pizzeria in question:

http://www.abc57.com/story/28696535/hig ... t-pizzeria

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Apr 2015, 4:51 pm

For those who don't want to read:

- Pizza restaurant announces it won't cater for a marriage between a same-sex couple, but would serve them
- People respond by giving 1 star reviews on Yelp
- Some people say horrible things on Facebook, including threats of arson
- Conservative Christians raise $70,000 to combat the persecution

Looks to me like this was a publicity stunt. I'm not sure whether it backfired or it was a brilliant Batman gambit ("if we say we hate gays, we'll be publicly shamed and the unreconstructed will show solidarity!"), but either way, they've ultimately come out with publicity and money.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 5:02 pm

The public response seemed silly and out-of-proportion to the situation to me.

There have been several episodes of largely Internet-coordinated campaigns to professionally hurt people who've expressed controversial opinions. I wonder if the people who try to disrupt these businesses and get people fired think about the longer-term consequences of what they are doing. Do they honestly think that it's appropriate or desirable for people to face losing their source of income, possibly their homes and more, for such mild statements?

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 10:06 pm

The article itself is extremely biased. Ex:

'Let’s recap. The furor began when the establishment’s co-owner Crystal O’Connor told local news ABC 57 Tuesday, “If a gay couple came in and wanted us to provide pizzas for their wedding, we would have to say no. We are a Christian establishment.” Is that a dumb, shortsighted, inhospitable idea? Sure. Is O’Connor unclear on Biblical policy regarding pizza catering for same-sex unions? Absolutely. (Hint: There is none.)'

Well, there may not be a clear statement within the Bible about serving pizza to "gay couples", but it certainly does condemn homosexuality, more than once (ex. 1 Corinthians 6:9, Romans 1:26-27). Businesses can, if they so choose, refuse to serve someone for whatever reason (it being a private establishment), even if you think the reason given is wrong, and if you don't like what they do or represent then just don't go there. Why should these people, who try to live by what they believe is right, be forced to accept that which they believe is wrong? They're a Christian establishment, so they had no choice really.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 1:25 am

Lintar wrote:
Why should these people, who try to live by what they believe is right, be forced to accept that which they believe is wrong?

That question is moot; no one can force anyone to accept anything because acceptance is merely a state of mind, over which no one but the owner of the mind has ultimate control.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 12:08 pm

Lintar wrote:
Businesses can, if they so choose, refuse to serve someone for whatever reason (it being a private establishment), even if you think the reason given is wrong, and if you don't like what they do or represent then just don't go there. Why should these people, who try to live by what they believe is right, be forced to accept that which they believe is wrong? They're a Christian establishment, so they had no choice really.

Hallelujah!
:hail:

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

03 Apr 2015, 12:22 pm

SJWs are dumb and usually underaged, this cyber-activism or whatever is usually just a poor excuse to harass and to rake up points with in their group without any understanding of the world or intellectual basis for their beliefs. Its sad that people that think of themselves as so altruistic are really usually just doing it for selfish reasons.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 3:23 pm

SJW's are bullies, but of the verbal and legal kind.
They were probably bullied as children, and take it out on socially acceptable targets.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 9:48 pm

slenkar wrote:
SJW's are bullies, but of the verbal and legal kind.

What is a bully of the legal kind?
Quote:
They were probably bullied as children

:roll:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 11:12 pm

Lintar wrote:
The article itself is extremely biased. Ex:

'Let’s recap. The furor began when the establishment’s co-owner Crystal O’Connor told local news ABC 57 Tuesday, “If a gay couple came in and wanted us to provide pizzas for their wedding, we would have to say no. We are a Christian establishment.” Is that a dumb, shortsighted, inhospitable idea? Sure. Is O’Connor unclear on Biblical policy regarding pizza catering for same-sex unions? Absolutely. (Hint: There is none.)'

Well, there may not be a clear statement within the Bible about serving pizza to "gay couples", but it certainly does condemn homosexuality, more than once (ex. 1 Corinthians 6:9, Romans 1:26-27). Businesses can, if they so choose, refuse to serve someone for whatever reason (it being a private establishment), even if you think the reason given is wrong, and if you don't like what they do or represent then just don't go there. Why should these people, who try to live by what they believe is right, be forced to accept that which they believe is wrong? They're a Christian establishment, so they had no choice really.

So if a private buisiness didn't want to serve someone because they are a racial minority, have a disability ect that should be ok to? Just want to make sure you are consistent. And how does being a christian establishment mean they 'have no choice' its not as if the hand of god will come down and smite them all....the bible was written by humans, thus humans decided homosexuality is 'wrong'....sorry I don't have a crap load of sympathy for bible thumpers thinking they should have the right to discriminate against people because of their 'religion', and if they are to be given such a right I say they should expect negative attention.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 11:35 pm

A double rarity, a Salon article that is both reasonable and relevant:

http://www.salon.com/2015/03/29/jon_ron ... less_ones/

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 11:50 pm

I might add to my earlier post I don't condone making a total ass of ones-self to prove a point...but I find the idea of people subscribing to the idea that they have no choice but to discriminate against homosexuals because they're 'christian' much more disturbing than someone pissed off about it saying something immature on the internet towards the business.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 12:09 am

While it's indefensible to threaten to burn down the pizzeria in question, I fail to understand why they have to advertise that they won't cater gay weddings. The idiot law in Indiana is just a means for business people there to express their prejudice, when they could just as easily keep their opinions to themselves, and just politely refuse to cater a wedding they don't approve of without blurting out why.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 2:17 am

I find it sad that people hide behind religion and use it as an excuse to hate people. Bigoted morons they are.

If you support these idiots that run the pizza place and support their views, then I weep for you.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 2:27 am

andrethemoogle wrote:
I find it sad that people hide behind religion and use it as an excuse to hate people. Bigoted morons they are.

Oh just stop. Hatred is an emotion and you don't know what these people feel. This is the same slithery, anti-intellectual rhetoric the SJWs use; they try to tar every opinion with which they disagree as flowing from hatred. Try having an opinion that is based on the facts of the situation, rather than glibly pronouncing on the motivations of complete strangers.