Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Alki
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Mar 2013, 3:46 pm

I'm finding out more about my own beliefs every day. So I am curious about others. What do you believe about the following?

Conservatives?

Liberals?

Abortion of mentally disabled fetuses, or just in general?

Christianity?

The website Stormfront (dot) org?

Terms that can be used pejoratively (liberal, gay, homophobic, ret*d, etc.)?

I'll answer these in order for myself:

Conservatives
Want what's best for the market economy. Generally want to intrude on the social morals of others, are for censorship of bad language and sex on TV and radio stations.

Liberals
Want progressive social reform to eliminate conformist taboos. Believes that private economic decisions hurt the whole economy in the long run.

Abortion
I don't take individuals not wanting to raise someone because they are "defective" personally, but I am pro-life on this debate.

Christianity
I don't like religion.

The website Stormfront (dot) org
Hey, it's a bit racist but they are just people talking about their race for who's sake without any political correctness.

None of these terms are good in those contexts at all.

mercifullyfree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Mar 2013, 4:00 pm

Conservatives? -

Some are alright, especially if they are consistent in their beliefs with a thoughtful reasoning behind them rather than spiteful, knee jerk anti-liberalism and such inconsistency as claiming to be against big government while demanding a war on (some) drugs, vice laws and imperialist warfare.

Liberals? -

I consider myself one in the sense that it means I'm curious about new ideas and lean towards more individual freedom, but don't follow any party line.

Abortion of mentally disabled fetuses, or just in general? -

Pro-abortion in general. Since the world isn't suffering from lack of people, I don't see any benefit to anybody by forcing women to bear children. Easy access to good birth control and proper use of it is, of course, preferable.

Christianity? -

Meh. Not for me.

The website Stormfront (dot) org? -

Pseudo rebellion for disgruntled white nerds. Fed magnet.

Not going to go through the entire list, but I usually don't care.

ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2013, 4:12 pm

Alki wrote:
I
Conservatives?

They are divided in two kinds of people: numbskulls and those who have lots of money and don't want to contribute to society through taxation as is their duty, or, in other words, really selfish people.

Liberals?

Too heterogen a group to give a unique opinion. What in the US are called liberals we in my country call democratic christians, which are a right wing political position.

I don't have an opinion on what others can/should do. Only of what I should do.

Christianity?

Very contraditory religion. On one hand a truly disgusting deity which sends people to hell for eternity for not believing in him, among many, many other atrocities. On the other hand, Jesus was a kind person, so there are good things coming out of christianity such as charity work.

What is that?

There's too much political correctness around this. Politeness is important, of course, but the fact that saying n****r in the US is a national scandal is ridiculous. Thank god for people like Louis CK, who say what's on their mind without being mean. It's possible to say all those things without being a jackass.

Last edited by ModusPonens on 08 Mar 2013, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2013, 4:42 pm

Mr. O.P. You left out the libertarians. Why?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

08 Mar 2013, 5:00 pm

Conservatives/Liberals?

I'll answer these together, I think they're antiquated meaningless terms that have been warped beyond belief over the last 100+ years. I could describe the same position as liberal and conservative under the various definitions.

I believe that an unborn child is a human life and that murder is immoral.

Christianity?

Not part of my life at this time

A website for angry misguided people.

One shouldn't use purposefully offensive terms but one should not be censored either. The intent and prejudice behind a word is what gives it power, how many "politically correct" terms become pejoratives later on?

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2013, 5:21 pm

I agree with the OP on most of these.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2013, 5:33 pm

none of the above.

I contempt liberals and conservatives equally.

To say that stormfront is a 'bit racist' is like saying Hitler 'wasn't fond of Jews'.

My deviant art profile

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Mar 2013, 6:25 pm

Conservatives?
An umbrella term.

It is widely used to refer to those who hold onto irrational views just because those views represent the status quo, or a former status quo. Also widely associated with capitalist, free market economics and small states in order to support the rich.

Liberals?

Another umbrella term. Widely used to refer to those who do not hold onto views simply because those views are the status quo, or else for someone who believes liberty is the most important idea. Also widely associated with large states and high taxes in order to support the poor.

If a mother doesn't feel she could carry a child, she has the right to abort it.
If a mother doesn't feel she could raise a child and cannot find anyone else willing to raise it, again, she has the right to abort it.

Christianity?

Another umbrella term. I have no objection to people believing that Jesus Christ was the son of God and was crucified. I object to some other views widely held by Christians.

Never heard of it. Just checked it out. Racist. Holocaust denial widespread.

Erm, those words are very different. I never here the word "liberal" used pejoratively, don't see why people would be offended by being called a liberal. Discrimination against homosexuals is wrong so calling someone out on their homophobia is fine. Words like "gay" and "ret*d" should not be used pejoratively.

Alki
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Mar 2013, 6:25 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Conservatives/Liberals?

I'll answer these together, I think they're antiquated meaningless terms that have been warped beyond belief over the last 100+ years. I could describe the same position as liberal and conservative under the various definitions.

Yup, good for you. :)
Score 1.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2013, 6:37 pm

National conservative; UK Unionist; classical liberal; civic nationalist; civil libertarian; supporter of direct democracy; anti-EU.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2013, 6:39 pm

Conservatives?
Meaningless word, since it is an alliance that is so broad that it includes both libertarians and Christian dominionists.

Liberals?
Good thoughtful people.

Abortion of mentally disabled fetuses
Probably a good idea, but it's the mother's choice.

just in general?
A nasty business, but it's the mother's choice.

Christianity?
Incorrect.

A gathering place for white people who don't like the opinions of white people.

Trick question. There is a difference between an accusation (homophobic) and an insult (ret*d).

Alki
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Mar 2013, 6:42 pm

It's the UKIP in your avatar.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2013, 6:43 pm

About liberals: liberals come from the most avowed libertarian rightists to people on the left that come across as deeply, chronically illiberal in every thought thry have, yet call themselves 'liberals'.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2013, 7:00 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Mr. O.P. You left out the libertarians. Why?

The real word is liberal. This word 'libertarians' is replacement word.

That was always the word to describe those ideals, somewhere along the way it got confused.

Liberals is now a derogatory phrase, which has been claimed by the proponents of those ideals (bit like fauvist, or cubist, etc.), which are different from traditional liberals.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2013, 7:44 pm

Tequila wrote:
; supporter of direct democracy;

my god in heaven! We have common ground.

My deviant art profile

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Mar 2013, 8:28 pm

Conservatives?
I sometimes vote conservative. I have no problem with conservative views that aren't extremist or hateful towards liberals or anyone else. I think we need the balance provided by both viewpoints.

Liberals?
I usually vote liberal. I have no problem with liberal views that aren't extremist or hateful towards conservatives or anyone else. I think we need the balance provided by both viewpoints.

I dislike extremely that liberals and conservatives in the US have become so polarized, because of sensational media coverage and side taking. Each side has valid concerns, and I think we all need to listen more and think more, and be more balanced and level-headed about politics and what's best for our country.

I'm FOR birth control. I consider abortion a last resort, but a valid one. I do not consider it a valid means of weeding out genetic defects. If one has a hereditary problem they don't want to pass on they should use birth control (which if one is serious means two or more forms, since no one contraceptive is 100% effective, or abstinence or sterilization), not wait until they conceive to start worrying about it.

I believe strongly in a woman's right to choose. But I believe in teaching all young people to be responsible about their reproduction and avoid abortion except as a last resort. I do not believe in bringing unwanted children into the world. We have lots of people, with plenty of problems to go around. But to pick and choose children because of specific problems? That's not right.

Christianity?
I'm not Christian. I have nothing against anyone's religion unless they try to push it on me or use it as an excuse to judge or abuse someone else.

I have no idea what that is, but based on other replies here, I don't plan to visit and give them more web traffic.

Words are tools. It's the intended message and context that matters.