Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 2:35 pm

As above.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 2:38 pm

Old. Unremarkable. Probably be dead soon anyway.

My deviant art profile

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 2:41 pm

An Argie - how timely.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 2:43 pm

Meet the new Boss ("Frankie the Inquisitor") ... Same as the old Boss ("Benny the Enforcer") ...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

13 Mar 2013, 3:07 pm

It's interesting since he's from Argentina. Don't have many thoughts beyond that.

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 3:20 pm

Hate 'em.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 3:22 pm

I think it is to appease the Italians. He is from Italian heritage.

I wonder if he will stick to his Jesuit roots. I've always equated the Jesuit as powerful and influential.

But apparently he lives a simple, life and very focused on the poor. I wonder if he will be able to maintain that.

In terms of being a reformer, he is conservative and evangelical.

To me it seem like a safe choice, because whilst new world, he is the most European of new world. It seems to me like a reluctance to relinquish power to the places to where there are the most Catholics.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 3:43 pm

He's only just been inaugurated today, and a reason has been found to kick the Pope already:

Quote:
We come to pray for all who have fallen, sons of the Homeland who went out to defend their mother, the Homeland, and to reclaim what is theirs, that is of the Homeland, and it was usurped,” he claimed in a mass at the metropolitan cathedral, 30 years on from the violent conflict with Great Britain.

The Homeland cannot exclude from its memory, anyone who was called; it has to take charge of so many hearts with scars, and say thank you to them, to those who stayed on the island or those submerged in the water, to all of them.

Can anyone say... sinister?

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 3:46 pm

Well, I guess Frankie goes to Holywood (*lame joke rimshot sound*).

Fnord wrote:
Meet the new Boss ("Frankie the Inquisitor") ... Same as the old Boss ("Benny the Enforcer") ...

One of the first quotes I found by Frankie (on legalisation of gay marriage in Argentina):

"Let's not be naive, we're not talking about a simple political battle; it is a destructive pretension against the plan of God. We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the Father of Lies that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God."

Turns out his contraception/abortion stance is apparently business as usual as well...

Yep... Same as the old Boss.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 3:47 pm

He has been Pope for two hours. With that being said, he is probably dead scared right now as no one really wants to do the job and he knows being elected is basically a death sentence as in his life expectancy is probably another 10 years.

An interesting tidbit, he was nearly elected in 2005, but he asked his cohorts to not vote for him.

BanjoGirl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 3:48 pm

Tequila wrote:
An Argie - how timely.

This Pope was a favourite in 2005. He was a very strong candidate then so it's timely... since 2005 it seems.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 3:57 pm

See this from the Manchester Guardian article:

But the cardinals' choice risked running into immediate controversy over the new pope's role in Argentina's troubled history. In his book, El Silencio, a prominent Argentinian journalist alleged that the then Jorge Bergoglio connived with the Argentine navy to hide from a visiting delegation of the Inter-American Human Rights Commission political prisoners of the military dictatorshop.

First an ex Nazi pope, then a pope who was in thick the Junta.

What next?

ruveyn

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 4:06 pm

CSBurks wrote:
Hate 'em.

But I agree with you, not a big fan myself.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 4:06 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
As above.

meh. From what they're saying about him, he's conservative. Sounds like more of the same, and the same ain't too good.

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 4:26 pm

Let's give this guy a chance to reign. Based on taking the name Francis for the first time ever, he has indicated he intends to do things differently. Let us see.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 5:24 pm

"Steady as she sinks!"

Even for a body as risk-averse as the College of Cardinals this strikes me as a monumental non-decision.

He is relatively old--at 76 he will be little more than a caretaker. He has only a few years until he likely faces health challenges comparable to those of his predecessors.

He is an arch-conservative--even within the somewhat artificial understanding of liberal and conservative that is currently in place in the Roman Catholic Church.

By electing a Latin American, the Church appears to have washed its hands of any attempt to reengage with lapsed Catholics in Europe and North America. The Church appears to intend to maintain the inflexibility and orthodoxy that have made it successful only in Latin America, Africa and parts of Asia. These will continue to be the heartland of the Church going forward, and she will pass out of even the limited relevance that she has in the world's centres of political and economic power.