Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 2:24 pm

I'm not too sure what they expect when they set a person on fire... :roll:

CAAARLLLL! That kills people.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 2:36 pm

By legalistic thinking, I'm not talking about rigid adherence to the law, but rather a form of objective thinking. Stuff like reasonable doubt, intent, proven rather than suspected, etc. A lot of that stuff gets lost in the clamor for blood when some awful crime or event is being discussed here.

younginflavor18
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Mar 2013, 10:35 am

This is sure a hate crime that is premeditated with intent, and the punishment he got is unjust and a slap on the wrist. It was sure happened in the UK but if this happened in America, the murderer would've gotten a life sentence without parole for the cowardly act that he done.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 3:56 pm

younginflavor18 wrote:
This is sure a hate crime that is premeditated with intent, and the punishment he got is unjust and a slap on the wrist. I

You're a psychic?

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 5:49 pm

visagrunt wrote:
trollcatman wrote:
For me that is because legalistic thinking is not neccessarily ethical thinking.

How do you separate the two?

I suggest that ethics cannot exist independent of a system of laws since, generally speaking, the first principle of ethics is adherence to the law.

When is it ethical to disregard the law? A law that violates a higher law may be ignored--but that relies upon the system recognizing and enforcing that higher law. A law not validly enacted--outside the competence of the legislature--may be disregarded. But a law validly enacted, and not inconsistent with any superior law must be obeyed, and a system of ethics that disregards that need is not, I suggest to you, ethical.

This seems like a conflict between deontological ethics and consequential ethics.

Sosiologismus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Mar 2013, 9:57 pm

What an awful person and what an awful society for letting that happen. Incredibly bad, below the lowest level of humanity... UK/England seems to have a big problem with those things, I very often hear about truly awful incidents in that country, like it's a social hellhole. Some time ago I heard about some bullies attacking a girl who was walking her dog, scratching up her face with a knife and torturing her dog in front of her. There was also gypsy concentration-like camps ++. When I was in Newcastle some idiot rammed my shoulder and continued walking while laughing and not even looking back.. Haha.. And I was a tourist. So stupid.

mrwhite23
Raven
Raven

30 Mar 2013, 11:21 pm

Thats awful and three years he should get life or maybe death he deserves for what he did
that poor kid on his 18th also was he really gay or is the media just saying that?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 1:11 am

Sosiologismus wrote:
When I was in Newcastle some idiot rammed my shoulder and continued walking while laughing and not even looking back.. Haha.. And I was a tourist. So stupid.

Savages!

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 1:15 am

Dox47 wrote:
Sosiologismus wrote:
When I was in Newcastle some idiot rammed my shoulder and continued walking while laughing and not even looking back.. Haha.. And I was a tourist. So stupid.

Savages!

I think the British term is yobbo.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 2:44 am

trollcatman wrote:

Not chavs or neds?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 7:04 am

Dox47 wrote:
trollcatman wrote:

Not chavs or neds?

Chav is aimed at a particular class, and a particular way of dressing/style, as well as the behavior, and implied lack of intelligence and manners. It can mean yob, but if a member of a Bullingdon club trashed a restaurant, as they do on occasion, then they wouldn't be called Chav, but they might be called a yob.

Ned is Scottish, Scally is Liverpudlian.

Chav is the newest word, Ned and Scally go way, back and they have much more Jack the Lad connotations, but in more recent year have almost always been negative.

Sosiologismus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2013, 10:07 am

Was that ironic? It felt incredibly rude at the time.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Mar 2013, 12:42 pm

Sosiologismus wrote:
UK/England seems to have a big problem with those things, I very often hear about truly awful incidents in that country, like it's a social hellhole. Some time ago I heard about some bullies attacking a girl who was walking her dog, scratching up her face with a knife and torturing her dog in front of her. There was also gypsy concentration-like camps ++. When I was in Newcastle some idiot rammed my shoulder and continued walking while laughing and not even looking back.. Haha.. And I was a tourist. So stupid.

Which is why our crime rates are so much higher than yours... oh wait.

The difference between the UK and the US in this regard is that we have a very effective national tabloid press who can fill hundreds of pages a year with "broken Britain" stories. Our stories get more coverage than yours, particularly the ones that don't make great TV (you seem to have many more TV news networks than we do).

And yes, Dox was being sarcastic.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 3:04 pm

I really hate Cloudflare right now...

Last edited by Dox47 on 31 Mar 2013, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 3:05 pm

Last edited by Dox47 on 31 Mar 2013, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 3:06 pm

Last edited by Dox47 on 31 Mar 2013, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.