Page 1 of 7 [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 1:02 am

Governor Romney just gave his concession speech.

It's all over except the swearing-in of the winner ... and the swearing of those who supported the loser.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

CornerPuzzlePieces
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2012, 1:13 am

AAAaaaaamen.

Can't believe a serious part of the USA even voted for him. Some of them female to boot...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 1:16 am

Once you've declared that 47% of the public doesn't matter to you, your credibility with that 47% is lost.

By my calculations, if he'd had just a few percentage points of those he had alienated, he would have won the election.

He secured his own defeat.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 1:17 am

I don't see a Romney 2016, its not possible. The GOP are done for considering that they don't even have whites on their side and have largely alienated the hispanic vote.

Obama's 50+1 strategy worked for him just as it did for Bush in 04'... I think dividing up the country further when its already severely divided, may be the key for first term presidents seeking re-election. The popular vote is almost even from RCP. Oh well, maybe next time.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 1:25 am

Fnord wrote:
Once you've declared that 47% of the public doesn't matter to you, your credibility with that 47% is lost.

By my calculations, if he'd had just a few percentage points of those he had alienated, he would have won the election.

It was his to loose. He lost it early on. I understand running to the right of other candidates early on, thats the nature of primaries and I don't mind it. But the 47% alongside not articulating himself better when the media came after his comments about Palestine, and a few of the gaffes he had, it is truly unfortunate that he lost.

Either way, Obama will push for tax hikes on the wealthy, perhaps another jobs bill of what is a never-ending stimulus, and try to address entitlement spending as well as to address immigration. Those will be his policies for the next term.

He won't address energy independence, he won't hit on meaningful education reform, which are long overdue.

I don't blame Gary Johnson supporters, but I am curious to see what his numbers were in states such as Ohio and Virginia and Florida.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 1:26 am

Yeah, better luck next time.

I hope the next crop of candidates has more in common with the common people.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 1:26 am

republicans are going to go ape. i would not put anything past them, including trumped-up charges leading to [attempted] impeachment of POTUS. they will learn nothing positive from this [like making civil with the so-called "47%"] but instead double-down on mean.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 1:40 am

Fnord wrote:

the 47% thing was done all on purpose to rally up the 53% to get this country from the welfare abusing mindset to actually people moving forward and working for their own aspirations. You know, that little thing called the american dream

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 1:49 am

The percentage that voted for Mr. Romney were likely to vote for him anyway, so if he had alienated only 33% of the population instead of 47%, he'd be 14% ahead in the popular vote, and I'd be listening to him making his acceptance speech right now instead of Mr. Obama.

I really think that one gaffe had the most to do with putting Mr. Romney behind the proverbial 8-ball.

Too bad ... Mr. Ryan might have made a good V.P.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 1:52 am

At least half the people who vote don't think before, during, or after voting. Case in point, today my town elected a dead man to the county commission. No sh*t.

<This article right here> has it.

Yep. A dead guy won here. It's even worse because it's a small town so most of the people who voted for him knew he was dead.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 1:54 am

Fnord wrote:
The percentage that voted for Mr. Romney were likely to vote for him anyway, so if he had alienated only 33% of the population instead of 47%, he'd be 14% ahead in the popular vote, and I'd be listening to him making his acceptance speech right now instead of Mr. Obama.

I really think that one gaffe had the most to do with putting Mr. Romney behind the proverbial 8-ball.

Too bad ... Mr. Ryan might have made a good V.P.

nope. what made romney lose was
1- even larger turnout of blacks and other minorities (does it sound racist? yes. is it true? yes)
2- hardcore republicans holding him down.
3- sounding like a broken record

Why do I point those out? Because of the things all the swing states had in common.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 1:55 am

at least Missouri and Indiana did the right thing by rejecting misogeny.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

Likely it was not so much that "Stupid people voted for a dead guy", but that people were so put off by the living candidate that they expressed their revulsion for the living by voting for the dead.

I'm sure that the losing candidate received and understood the message.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

OliveOilMom wrote:
At least half the people who vote don't think before, during, or after voting. Case in point, today my town elected a dead man to the county commission. No sh*t.

<This article right here> has it.

Yep. A dead guy won here. It's even worse because it's a small town so most of the people who voted for him knew he was dead.

missouri elected a dead senator not long ago.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 1:56 am

What was it about the living candidates that made the voters decide that the dead candidates were better choices?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 1:57 am

maybe that [voting for a dead pol] was just another way of voting for "none of the above."