Page 4 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 8:23 am

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/tastete ... ocid=18253

Quote:
Although maple syrup has been poured since Native Americans first discovered the sweetness of maple sap, pancake syrup is a modern invention. The first brand, Log Cabin, concocted in 1887 as a cheaper alternative, originally contained 45 percent maple syrup supplemented by inexpensive corn syrup. As more brands came along, the real maple content shrank; Aunt Jemima, for instance, made its debut in 1966 with just 15 percent maple syrup. By the 1970s, most brands—claiming customers didn’t mind—had eliminated maple syrup from their products, replacing it with a slew of artificial flavorings and additives.

Aunt Jemima syrup had a little bit of maple in it when it was first introduced. Now, it is just high fructose corn syrup and chemicals. At least the Quaker Oats company (now owned by Pepsi) gives us the image of an obese black woman to associate with the product.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 10:10 am

Some lyrics from Billy Kersand's Old Aunt Jemima song

http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=128733

which served as the inspiration for the name of the Aunt Jemima product line. I haven't yet figured out how the tune went.

Billy Kersands seems to have been quite a performer.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 10:35 am

Feminine hygine aisles are sexist!

And the pet aisle is species-ist!

And the toy section is age-ist!

And the aisle that they put all the crutches and futuro bandages on is able-ist!

Im sure we could all think of other examples.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 10:42 am

I always thought that Aunt Jemima was a very pleasant motherly figure,the kind that called all the neighborhood kids in for snacks.
But I do prefer real maple syrup or sorghum molasses.I buy locally made molasses.
And I wear a do- rag on my head,and love fried chicken gizzards.And souse,collards,neck bones,ham hock and beans.And sweet potato pie.grits,poke sallet and wilted lettuce covered with bacon drippings and a sprinkle of sugar.YUM.
And when I worked at the cafe our local Doc ate there,he ate a big greasy southern breakfast with syrup, and it wasn't Vermont maple either.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 11:24 am

I hardly think that anyone is going to die from maple flavored pancake syrup given all the other shi+ we've ingested.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 11:28 am

Quote:
a big greasy southern breakfast

The best kind of breakfast. :D

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 3:04 pm

Raptor wrote:
I hardly think that anyone is going to die from maple flavored pancake syrup given all the other shi+ we've ingested.

http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20121127 ... p-diabetes

Quote:
Countries that mix high-fructose corn syrup into processed foods and soft drinks have higher rates of diabetes than countries that don’t use the sweetener, a new study shows.

In a study published in the journal Global Health, researchers compared the average availability of high-fructose corn syrup to rates of diabetes in 43 countries. About half the countries in the study had little or no high-fructose corn syrup in their food supply. In the other 20 countries, high-fructose corn syrup in foods ranged from about a pound a year per person in Germany to about 55 pounds each year per person in the United States.

The researchers found that countries using high-fructose corn syrup had rates of diabetes that were about 20% higher than countries that didn’t mix the sweetener into foods.

People do die from diabetes. Artificial syrups are just one source. :shameonyou:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 3:13 pm

Quote:
People do die from diabetes. Artificial syrups are just one source.

Tuff sh!t.

Adventus
Toucan
Toucan

19 Apr 2013, 3:14 pm

GGPViper wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
She should actually get a job where she gets paid to be offended on behalf of others because that is really all she does.

Wait... You want her to run for *Congress*? 8O

Worse. she should Become a Fox News Reporter/Pundit!

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 4:54 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Raptor wrote:

http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20121127 ... p-diabetes

Quote:
Countries that mix high-fructose corn syrup into processed foods and soft drinks have higher rates of diabetes than countries that don’t use the sweetener, a new study shows.

In a study published in the journal Global Health, researchers compared the average availability of high-fructose corn syrup to rates of diabetes in 43 countries. About half the countries in the study had little or no high-fructose corn syrup in their food supply. In the other 20 countries, high-fructose corn syrup in foods ranged from about a pound a year per person in Germany to about 55 pounds each year per person in the United States.

The researchers found that countries using high-fructose corn syrup had rates of diabetes that were about 20% higher than countries that didn’t mix the sweetener into foods.

People do die from diabetes. Artificial syrups are just one source. :shameonyou:

Don't worry, I seriously doubt that you will be getting any invitations to breakfast any time soon. Especially with the attitude you display on here. I'm not saying you are a bad person or even an unpleasant person to be around in meat life (TM Stella). For all I know you may be polite, interesting, witty, a good listener, and have great stories to tell when somebody is sitting across the table from you. What I am saying is that if you act even half as arrogant and condescending in a face to face meeting as you do on the forum, you are in for some lonely breakfasts... if ya know what I mean.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 5:41 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I always thought that Aunt Jemima was a very pleasant motherly figure,the kind that called all the neighborhood kids in for snacks.
But I do prefer real maple syrup or sorghum molasses.I buy locally made molasses.
And I wear a do- rag on my head,and love fried chicken gizzards.And souse,collards,neck bones,ham hock and beans.And sweet potato pie.grits,poke sallet and wilted lettuce covered with bacon drippings and a sprinkle of sugar.YUM.
And when I worked at the cafe our local Doc ate there,he ate a big greasy southern breakfast with syrup, and it wasn't Vermont maple either.

My favorite syrup is Mrs Butterworth. My grandmother used to buy Alaga but I couldn't stand it. I have had actual maple syrup but it was just too sweet for my tastes, even though Mrs Butterworth probably has more actual sugar in it, but I just didn't like it as well.

I do not like molasses at all, nor do I like dark Kayro syrup, but the light is ok.

Do you do your chicken in oil or shortening? I know I'm gonna sound like an old Loretta Lynn commercial here, but I do not like mine cooked in anything but Crisco. I'm not picky about brands very much but that's one thing I'm real picky about.

I cannot stand souse, my grandfather used to eat that. He also used to eat brains and eggs in the mornings and that smell made me so sick to my stomach. For my seasoning in beans I usually put in a couple big spoonfulls of bacon grease that I keep in a jar and then some of what we call "white meat" which is salt pork. I don't usually put in ham hock or anything else in there. I add a little more bacon grease as it cooks down and the last hour or two, I put in one spoonful of sugar. That's the secret for green beans right there. Once I put that sugar in, and one last spoonfull of grease, I cock the lid and cut the fire down and just let it cook down till it's thick. Best beans you ever put in your mouth I think. I do sometimes make canned ones and when I do that I use French cut and drain them and put them in a small frying pan with some olive oil, minced garlic and basil and cook that on low, covered for about 45 minutes. That's really good that way, and about the only way I can stomach canned green beans.

Talking about wilted lettuce with bacon grease reminds me of something my grandmother used to make, she called it Spring Salad. She was from South Carolina originally, and this was back in the 1910's and 20's. She was born in 1910 and her parents had some money so they had help in the house and there was 7 kids altogether so they had a nanny to take care of them. Now, because it was the outer banks that they lived in, all the help was geechee's. The food was geechee, the kids learned to speak geechee, they got taught all those superstitions and all that too (which is where I learned how to read cards and some hoodoo - from her and she had learned it growing up cause back then the maid raised the kids anyway, not the mama) so anyway, she made this stuff called Spring Salad every spring all my life. She was a big believer in cleaning out the system after the winter and the spring salad was a lot of fiber and roughage! This is what she put in it. Some turnip greens cooked normal on the bottom, then some spinach boiled just a little bit then fried with an egg, then some poke salad, then some leaf lettuce - never iceberg and that was the only time of the year I ever saw any lettuce that wasn't iceberg and actually never knew it was lettuce till I got older, I thought it was just some other green. On top of that she put some chopped green onions, some crumbled boiled eggs, some crumbled fried bacon and poured bacon grease over the top of the whole thing. Then you crumbled up cornbread over the whole thing. The best part about it was you ate it with your fingers! Every year she made that and she said that was something that she ate in the spring growing up. Her nanny's name was Nettie and she said Nettie said you had to worm kids in the spring, so she gave them some kind of concoction to drink then fed them spring salad for dinner and supper for three days straight with just grits and biscuits for breakfast. Therefore, my grandmother believed in that and did the same to my mother and to me because we lived with her. The only difference was that she got some kind of worm medicine from the drugstore to give me. I haven't made spring salad in a long time and my mother keeps on asking me to make some, because she never really learned to cook from my grandmother, she never learned to cook until after my grandmother died, she was one of those 70's career ladies big time into women's lib and actually was proud that she never learned to cook. She refused to till then. Anyway, I just decided that I'm gonna make some tomorrow. Tomorrow is my birthday and I'm gonna make that and I've got a bunch of NY strips in the freezer that I just took out to thaw.

And yep, our doctors are nothing like the one AP is imagining. My mother was in hospital administration and I went to a lot of parties at doctors houses, the kind where everybody brings their kids, and I've ate so many ribs, or fried catfish, or burgers and hot dogs there. When I worked at the hospital there used to be this one pediatrician that would bring in a big paper sack of fried fruit pies that his wife made, every Sunday morning. I loved working Sundays in the nursery because he would always have that big sack of fried pies he brought to share and he sure ate plenty of them himself. I used to run down to the doctors dining room to bring the neonatologist a plate at lunch time during the week when it was open, because she worked in NICU only and was there so much that she hardly ever had time to go down and get her own food and they had just regular food there. Two or three kinds of meats, vegetables cooked the way we cook them down here, biscuits or corn bread or yeast rolls, couple kinds of pies and cakes and puddings and sweet tea. It was regular food and the only difference was it was a separate dining room so they could eat without their patients families bothering them. I don't think some people understand that doctors are regular human beings too and aren't usually overly obsessive about their foods unless they either have some kind of condition where they need a special diet or they are just funny about it. We have one in town here that is funny about it. She's a Pakastani lady and nobody really goes to her because she thinks you can cure everything with diet, you shouldn't eat meat and you should have vegetables close to raw and eat raw fruit. She works at the other doctors practice but nobody likes her and nobody will go to her unless she's the only one available. So, doctors are normal people too. I'm talking about the ones that are from down here or have been down here long enough to learn how to eat right. There are always people from other places who come down here and try to tell us how to eat, when that's not welcome and we certainly don't go up there and try to tell them what's what.

Anyway, I ran on much too long, but I'm making spring salad tomorrow. You should try it for real. You'll really like it I think. I don't think it's time for poke yet so I'll have to leave that off, and it's a tad early to be making it anyway, it was usually May around the end of school, but I want some. Let me know if you decide to try it!

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 5:48 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Don't worry, I seriously doubt that you will be getting any invitations to breakfast any time soon. Especially with the attitude you display on here. I'm not saying you are a bad person or even an unpleasant person to be around in meat life (TM Stella). For all I know you may be polite, interesting, witty, a good listener, and have great stories to tell when somebody is sitting across the table from you. What I am saying is that if you act even half as arrogant and condescending in a face to face meeting as you do on the forum, you are in for some lonely breakfasts... if ya know what I mean.

I prefer to eat alone. That way, I can be sure that I'm not being fed any Aunt Jemima products.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 5:52 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
My favorite syrup is Mrs Butterworth. My grandmother used to buy Alaga but I couldn't stand it. I have had actual maple syrup but it was just too sweet for my tastes, even though Mrs Butterworth probably has more actual sugar in it, but I just didn't like it as well.

http://www.eatingrealfood.com/articles/ ... h-a-fraud/

Quote:
Folks have been brainwashed into believing that Mrs. Butterworth’s is a premium product. Unfortunately, the association of maple syrup producers (the real stuff) do not have anywhere near the same advertising budget.

Ingredients in Mrs. Butterworth’s Thick & Rich syrup: High fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, water, salt, cellulose gum, molasses, potassium sorbate (preservative), sodium hexametaphosphate, citric acid, caramel color, natural and artificial flavors.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 5:53 pm

Raptor wrote:
Quote:
People do die from diabetes. Artificial syrups are just one source.

Tuff sh!t.

Conceding defeat then, art thou? :P

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 6:05 pm

I'm not a big fan of food additives or high fructose corn syrup,sugar if fine :lol:
And my Uncle E. lived to be 98 on the Southern foods diet,all items were fried in bacon grease.And he smoked like a steam engine.No diabetes.WW1 vet.
The difference is people need exercise.The old timers ate plenty of grease,sugar and meat,whole milk and butter,but it was healthier because they grew it themselves or it was a local product.And they worked hard,men ,women and children.You didn't need an aerobics class to stay fit,you got plenty of exercise chopping wood,hauling water and chasing the chicken for dinner.
The spring salad sounds good OOM,I'll try it.And happy birthday!!
When you mentioned fried pies,talk about a craving!
Yeah,crisco is the best,and everyone saves bacon grease.
No poke here yet,was always told it was a blood purifier and you had that and sassafras tea in the spring.We call the green's juice pot likker .Do you slice,bread and fry the stems like okra?Another wild green we eat is Lambsquarters,some people call it pigweed,and bear grass.Right now the morels should be popping up and the old timers call them dry land fish.Dip in buttermilk,roll in meal and fry.
I'm going to look for some tomorrow.
I remember my aunt scrambling calf brains with eggs,I wasn't to fond of it.Everyone eats the squirrel brains also.My ex was very particular about where he shot the squirrel,heart shot with a .22,he loved the brains that much.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 6:14 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

http://www.eatingrealfood.com/articles/ ... h-a-fraud/

Quote:
Folks have been brainwashed into believing that Mrs. Butterworth’s is a premium product. Unfortunately, the association of maple syrup producers (the real stuff) do not have anywhere near the same advertising budget.

Ingredients in Mrs. Butterworth’s Thick & Rich syrup: High fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, water, salt, cellulose gum, molasses, potassium sorbate (preservative), sodium hexametaphosphate, citric acid, caramel color, natural and artificial flavors.

I haven't been brainwashed into anything. I know it's not a "premium product", I just like how it tastes. Some people do choose their food based on how well the enjoy it. I am one of those people, as are probably the majority of those who eat.