Turkish autism groups angry over comments on religion

Page 3 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 4:42 pm

bryanmaloney wrote:
I'm both religious and have Asperger's.

PS: I do not indulge in that "getting caught up in the Holy Spirit" stuff. Not all of us are Evangelical or Charismatic Protestants.

Me, too. I'm a practicing Lutheran myself, so I'm not into that "praise" worship.
One other thing we have in common, I see on your profile, is that we're both born in 1966. Tomorrow, May 1st, is my birthday, in fact.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

boywonder
Raven
Raven

01 May 2013, 4:00 pm

The Ottoman empire kept astrology afloat during the dark ages, as well as India and China

Daily prayer and prostrations might be very calming for aspies, and those outfits look so hot on the wimen

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2013, 4:19 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
bryanmaloney wrote:

PS: I do not indulge in that "getting caught up in the Holy Spirit" stuff. Not all of us are Evangelical or Charismatic Protestants.

Me, too. I'm a practicing Lutheran myself, so I'm not into that "praise" worship.
One other thing we have in common, I see on your profile, is that we're both born in 1966. Tomorrow, May 1st, is my birthday, in fact.

Aspies tend to love animals.

So we all should do a little Pentacostal snake handling now and then!
Why not?

(just kidding)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2013, 10:05 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
bryanmaloney wrote:

Why not?

(just kidding)

Only problem is, frightened snakes tend to bite. And I'd certainly be frightened if someone babbling ecstatically was waving me around in the air.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2013, 3:33 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Why not?

(just kidding)

I nearly died of laughter when hearing about that story.

Pity about the stupid bastard who died doing just what you describe though. And his father.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2013, 4:05 am

Wanted to mention that the turkey religious people only rementioned, what had already been told by lunatic christians in the USA.

They all base their theories on a study of the Bostoner University, that wasnt founded as a study of autism and atheism, but simply studied what links there is between magic beliefs and other stuff. Sadly religious lunatics took it and weird it, until they thought they could use it as a proof that atheism is linked to brainillness. At least they try, but their "explanations" are simply laughable.

http://iaincarstairs.wordpress.com/2011 ... nd-autism/

Quote:
Something the strong atheist must do is simplify the world so it can be assesed by the intellect, and the worryingly unfathomable minds of others, making a static, flat target rather than a confusing and multifaceted one. But in doing so, his own limited comprehension is displayed instead.
Ok, next time I work on the static of a building I dont reduce all facts to the real and necessary ones, but invent some additional, invisible magic forces too, so that my static calculations are not limited by my lack of comprehension I display. Any volunteers that plan to build a house? XD So, additional to all that minor basic scientific facts I would pay attention, I could add some calculations so that your house even withstand as example a "pink flying unicorn stampede"...or such stuff.

I found the articles, where people tried to found on the Bostoner study to look more scientific, while adding their own unscientific theories and thinking, highly amusing. XD Monthy Python couldnt do any better.

Example: The reason why we fail to be religious is because we focus on details, while being unable to see the big picture. So its our lack of ability to see the links between everything, that leads us to being atheists, because of our limited brains, focused on details, we simply dont see all the further links that would lead us to the realization of gods doing.

Yeah, its really sh***y. So because of me being focused on the limited and easy understandable small details that physics, astrophysics, chemics, biology of flora and fauna, basic and further biology of the interacting of live, archaelogic biology, geology, history, normal archaelogy, ... and all these few details that give us an basic understanding of the minor knowlege of creation of the universe, stars, our earths history, creation on life on it.... that my ill brain at its limits manages to understand, I am too dumb to see all the additional, enormous, gigantic facts that are simply too much for my limited brain to understand, that would lead me to the realization and knowlege of the much more complicated and understandable facts, that a giant invisible man with a beard, created all that in seven days and earth is 7500 years old. (Or so. Sorry, my ill brain that is focused on all that easy understandable scientific facts facts, didnt memorize the much more important knowlege, when the invisible powerful guy invented earth according to some ancient myths, that have been inherited in different versions, until 2000 years afterwards some people wrote them down, so that 1500 years afterwards people took that ancient myths that were then already highly rotten and only partial still existing, written in a language they hardy could understand and propper translate, leading to different translated versions of the anyway different versions of the original myths.)

And its simply my lack of understanding the greater picture and my focusing on details that I dont understand how an "ultimate truth" can tell me on one page, that I must not masturbate, while another part of the "ulimate truth" even tells me and gives me rules how God wants me to masturbate. (So according to the bible, if you are a good christ, you as villagers shall gather so you can determine a place outside your village that is meant for villagers, when they are masturbating. So people that want to masturbate shall not do so within the village, but take a stick with them, go to that place you have agreed on, dig with the stick a small hole and masturbate there, then use the stick to cover the hole again, and wait until sunset because until then you are not allowed to enter the village again. Yes this is actually in the bible, yes this counters the parts of the bible where you are told not to waste your "stuff", and yes if our brain werent so focused on detail, we easily would see the greater picture and understand how it can be, that a holy book that cant be wrong in any way, tells us on one page not to masturbate, while it tells us on another page, how god wants us to masturbate.)

Before anyone understand me wrong. I see the foundation of the christian believing. so specially the new testament as a good thing, giving people ideas how to live with each other in peace, being good neighbors and so on. Sadly many people that declare themselve to be christians, simply ignore the christian basics, and use it as an "higher excuse" for "misbehaving in the name of god." Would the jesus, of whom we are told in the new testament, separate him from others, pointing at their sins, and use hatespeech against them? No. My full sorrow to everyone, who really live this religion and that is forced to share the name of their religion with some lunatics, opposing it.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2013, 6:05 pm

This is an interesting topic because Turkey has had a history of atheist public figures, usually chattering classes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Turkish_atheists

my favorite
Turan Dursun

The reason because of his background, status, and his bravery, and also because he was a religious scholar, and worked his way through it, and came to his own conclusions.

Last edited by 0_equals_true on 02 May 2013, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2013, 6:18 pm

Turkey would be awesome as a properly secularist country.

Islam is a curse on Turkey. Secularism (and atheism of course) is its cure.

For all his faults (Armenia), Atatürk was a great man - a Muslim, certainly, but no less bad for that. He knew what was wrong with his nation and tried to fix it. Turkey should always be in his debt.

One of the most moving things I have ever read was from Atatürk:

Quote:
For nearly five hundred years, these rules and theories [regarding civil and criminal law] of an Arab Shaikh and the interpretations of generations of lazy and good-for-nothing priests have decided the civil and criminal law of Turkey. They have decided the form of the Constitution, the details of the lives of each Turk, his food, his hours of rising and sleeping the shape of his clothes, the routine of the midwife who produced his children, what he learned in his schools, his customs, his thoughts-even his most intimate habits. This theology of an immoral Arab [presented as Islam] is a dead thing. Possibly it might have suited tribes in the desert. It is no good for modern, progressive state. God's revelation! There is no God! These are only the chains by which the priests and bad rulers bound the people down.

A properly secular Turkey that felt free to mock religion (not just Islam) and to laugh and be at ease with itself would be an amazing place to be.

"God's revelation! There is no God! These are only the chains by which the priests and bad rulers bound the people down."

This stays with me.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2013, 6:20 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
Thing is, in a religious society (which Turkey supposedly isn't) this guy probably sounds progressive and understanding, 'no, they're not demonic, it's their faulty brains'.

Turkey is majority Muslim. However legally it is not a Sharia state.

Just as the U.S. is majority Christian but there is no legally established religion or church.

ruveyn

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2013, 6:23 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Turkey is majority Muslim. However legally it is not a Sharia state.

I still wouldn't want to live there. Other religions are routinely suppressed, secularists are harassed, Catholic priests are often murdered...

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 3:12 am

I think to have A oppinion about turkey, is as having A oppinion about the US. The country is very large, and there are big differences between the western and south turkey, whose citizens most have a very moderate believing and that have modern living standard and other areas more east where you can still find religious hardliners and where most people still live rather without contact in villages. Between this factions there are lots of debats and discussions. You could compare it with the differences of an Lousiana redneck and and New York Yuppieh. So there are many areas in the east I would avoid, specially at the curdish borders (not because of generally being afraid of curds, but they had military conflicts there for a long time, so no nice place for holidays), while on the other side you can compare Ankara and the southwest areas, that are also much into tourism, easily with european countries. As example there are lots of "spring time" events for european students around that area during summer, so no radical muslim with bombs around his belly will bomb you for walking around in a Bikini. If you want to visit the Haga Sophia in Ankara, you get told to cloth propperly, but its no else as if you want to watch buddhist temples in thailand, so there is also the full legs and no free shoulders rule.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 5:33 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
bryanmaloney wrote:

Why not?

(just kidding)

Only problem is, frightened snakes tend to bite. And I'd certainly be frightened if someone babbling ecstatically was waving me around in the air.

But thats the point!

The Holy Spirit will protect you ( not sure whether he keeps the snakes from biting you- or miraculously keeps the venom from hurting you when they do bite- or both- but somehow god protects you- or thats how its supposed to work) ye of little faith!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 1:14 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
bryanmaloney wrote:

Why not?

(just kidding)

But thats the point!

The Holy Spirit will protect you ( not sure whether he keeps the snakes from biting you- or miraculously keeps the venom from hurting you when they do bite- or both- but somehow god protects you- or thats how its supposed to work) ye of little faith!

I must be. :?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 2:23 pm

Schneekugel wrote:
I think to have A oppinion about turkey, is as having A oppinion about the US. The country is very large, and there are big differences between the western and south turkey, whose citizens most have a very moderate believing and that have modern living standard and other areas more east where you can still find religious hardliners and where most people still live rather without contact in villages. Between this factions there are lots of debats and discussions. You could compare it with the differences of an Lousiana redneck and and New York Yuppieh. So there are many areas in the east I would avoid, specially at the curdish borders (not because of generally being afraid of curds, but they had military conflicts there for a long time, so no nice place for holidays), while on the other side you can compare Ankara and the southwest areas, that are also much into tourism, easily with european countries. As example there are lots of "spring time" events for european students around that area during summer, so no radical muslim with bombs around his belly will bomb you for walking around in a Bikini. If you want to visit the Haga Sophia in Ankara, you get told to cloth propperly, but its no else as if you want to watch buddhist temples in thailand, so there is also the full legs and no free shoulders rule.

I have had it said that Muslims in Germany of Turkish origin are more, ahem, 'fervent' in their religious beliefs than people who live at home in a Muslim state.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 4:05 am

For a well educated turkey that have learned a good job, there is no big need to move to the western countries to work for sufficient money. So they can find propper jobs in their region and so dont have the need to leave family and everything to start in another country with another language. On the other side in the eastern regions of turkey there are still many that only could visit basic school, because the region is not as good developed yet as the western regions and there are more then jobs are offered for them. On the other side in western countries, because of good education you hardly find people that are willing to do basic working. (I mean if you ask in a ground school in western europe, who wants to become roomcleaner or McDonalds servicecraft when he grows old, you wont find many volunteers.) So there are more advantages for low educated turkeys to move into another country, while for good educated ones there are rarely any advantages. Also there have been aggressive conflicts between turkeys and the minority of curds for a long time and some people have prejudices against each other, so it can be easier for a curd to find untrained work in foreign countries, than in turkey itself.

So if you visit turkey you will meet all kind of mixed people from rich ones to poor ones, as it is normal in every country. But if you visit quarters in western europeans country, where foreigners often join together, most of them will come from rather poor families in turkey, that often are very religious, specially if they are the first generation that has moved. Its pretty simple, because the more moderate and well educated families, dont have many advantages by moving into western countries. I think it will be similar with mexicans in the USA, so a well trained young doctor dont has as much causes to move to the USA, then someone that only could visit basic school. Sure also a doctor could earn more in the USA then in Mexico, but normally it should be sufficient to afford normal living with home and family. So while many that will try to come to the USA couldnt visit a good school, it doesnt mean that every mexican couldnt visit a good school. There is simply no need to go to the USA to earn money, when you can do it as well in your own homeland.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 6:00 am

Educated turkey:

:P