Mark Steel on NRA reaction to Boston bomb. Genius

Page 3 of 12 [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 6:07 am

Raptor wrote:
2. I don't care what you’re fed up with. We’re not going to endanger American lives in effect by enacting some feel-good law and throw away our rights just so you can feel good about reading/watching our news.

Wow, you can't see the woods for the trees can you? How about American lives ARE endangered ALREADY because of the status quo? Thats why the massacres are happening now?

When any psycho can walk into a gunshop and buy an assault rifle unchallenged, what the hell did you expect to happen?

My deviant art profile

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 6:12 am

Jacoby wrote:
You say Australia, I'll say Jamaica. Jamaica banned guns and confiscated them door to door like only in the dreams of gun grabbers here in America. What happened? Their murder rate exploded, it's one of the most dangerous countries in the world. It wasn't always liked that.

It depends on where the gun users are getting their supply channels. So it will be effective depending which country it is. Here in the UK and Europe gun restriction is very effective because of how hard it is to obtain them in the first place. You cannot own a gun without a special license (farmers are allowed shotguns being one of the exceptions) and the supply chains are next to non existent. As a consequence, gun caused murders are very rare in this country. The exception being troubles-era Northern Ireland.

I'm suspecting that Jamaicas problems are caused by 1. Its proximity to the USA and 2. Unattentive or inefficient package and border monitoring. If the USA banned guns and really enforced the ban like how they do in the UK, Jamaica's gun issues would probably dry up as a consequence.

My deviant art profile

Last edited by thomas81 on 28 Apr 2013, 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 6:18 am

kabouter wrote:
If the NRA represents the will of the people, how come congress did not approve the new restrictions on guns when public opinion was firmly in favour of it.

Is it just the the NRA knows better?

My nephew committed suicide using a rifle, because his father did not store the bolt and ammunition seperately from the rifle.

I found the ready availability of guns in the USA when I was there for 6 months disturbing.

I was also incredibly surprised when I drove into the University of North Carolina where they had very large signs: "No guns allowed on campus".

I know here they used to have rules about kids bringing guns to kindergarten, but that was about toy guns.

I prefer the restrictive rules they have here in Australia.

The point about your nephew is one to bring up. Gun prevalence makes it much easier to commit suicide. If I wanted to kill myself, I'd use a gun if I had one. I'd stake that if the USA prohibited guns you'd also see an associated drop in suicide rates.

My deviant art profile

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

28 Apr 2013, 6:31 am

kabouter wrote:
If the NRA represents the will of the people, how come congress did not approve the new restrictions on guns when public opinion was firmly in favour of it.

My nephew committed suicide using a rifle, because his father did not store the bolt and ammunition seperately from the rifle.

I found the ready availability of guns in the USA when I was there for 6 months disturbing.

I was also incredibly surprised when I drove into the University of North Carolina where they had very large signs: "No guns allowed on campus".

I know here they used to have rules about kids bringing guns to kindergarten, but that was about toy guns.

Public opinion doesn't favor them that's why, they had to bend and confuse the terms so much that the general public didn't know what they were proposing. This is a common tactic by the gun grabbers, the same way they deliberately refer to AR15s and similar guns as "assault rifles" and "machine guns" when they aren't significantly different than many semi-automatic hunting rifles. 90% of people support background checks, well we already have background checks. Adam Lanza, the Newtown gunman actually failed his background check so he stole his guns anyways. Murderers don't follow the law, who'd of thought? What they were proposing was essentially a national registry and outlaw private transfer of guns, this was after the dream of reviving the AWB was DOA. These politicians don't fear the NRA, they fear the will of the people.

Your cousin didn't commit suicide because your uncle didn't store his bolt and ammunition separately from his rifle. I assume he committed suicide because he was very troubled young man.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 6:46 am

thomas81 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
You say Australia, I'll say Jamaica. Jamaica banned guns and confiscated them door to door like only in the dreams of gun grabbers here in America. What happened? Their murder rate exploded, it's one of the most dangerous countries in the world. It wasn't always liked that.

It depends on where the gun users are getting their supply channels. So it will be effective depending which country it is. Here in the UK and Europe gun restriction is very effective because of how hard it is to obtain them in the first place. You cannot own a gun without a special license (farmers are allowed shotguns being one of the exceptions) and the supply chains are next to non existent. As a consequence, gun caused murders are very rare in this country. The exception being troubles-era Northern Ireland.

I'm suspecting that Jamaicas problems are caused by 1. Its proximity to the USA and 2. Unattentive or inefficient package and border monitoring. If the USA banned guns and really enforced the ban like how they do in the UK, Jamaica's gun issues would probably dry up as a consequence.

Jamaica has a much high rate of violence than any other Caribbean country so no. Violence in Jamaica is probably more likely fueled by the extreme poverty and warring gangs that run the drug trade. Law abiding citizens are at the mercy of these criminals in Jamaica, as said those criminals don't seem to heed the law.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 1:04 pm

kabouter wrote:

Public opinion on this matter was measured by polls which are notoriously inaccurate and pruned to reflect the wishes of the pollsters. The fact that guns and ammo sales have shot through the roof and non-gun owners have become gun owners says more.
People do not trust their politicians here.

kabouter wrote:
Is it just the NRA knows better?

I’m an NRA member but I don’t follow much of what they say on every matter. I can say with certainly that they’ve done more to prevent firearm related deaths by being proactive in terms of safety training than any anti-gun organization like The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence (formerly Handgun Control Inc.).

kabouter wrote:

Sorry for your loss but he didn’t commit suicide because of the rifle being left available. He obviously intended to commit suicide and the rifle was just the first tool available. Homes have other suicide tools on hand that would have gotten the job done just as well.

kabouter wrote:

Funny, I've lived in the US all my life and have never been out of the country for more than a month at a time and I just don’t see guns everywhere unless I'm looking for them.

kabouter wrote:

Those gun free zones are nothing more than a written invitation for an active shooter to come in and wreak havoc. It’s happened at Columbine High School, Virginia Tech, and Sandy Hook Elementary to name a few of the common household word shootings.

kabouter wrote:

A pointless rule that is nothing more than a protectionist feel-good measure.

kabouter wrote:

Good place for you to stay, then.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
thomas81 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
2. I don't care what you’re fed up with. We’re not going to endanger American lives in effect by enacting some feel-good law and throw away our rights just so you can feel good about reading/watching our news.

Wow, you can't see the woods for the trees can you? How about American lives ARE endangered ALREADY because of the status quo? Thats why the massacres are happening now?

Funny, as an American here in Dogpatch with all the gun nuts and rednecks I don’t feel endangered by guns at all. But I guess I’m just not socially enlightened enough to know how I feel.

Quote:
When any psycho can walk into a gunshop and buy an assault rifle unchallenged, what the hell did you expect to happen?

Learn a little about gun laws in this country. Not what your leftist media tells its sheeple but the law itself then come back.
Right now you’re just spouting rhetoric that’s already been shot down over and over.

Last edited by Raptor on 28 Apr 2013, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 1:35 pm

John_Browning wrote:
People seem to forget that attempting to reduce the murder rate by taking away guns and the fundamental right to self defense in general tends to cause a massive increase in other crimes such as robberies, sex crimes, assaults, and property crimes. This can already be seen in New York just as it has happened in many other places around the world.

It's not like all or even most of those people weren't doing something illegal or stupid when they got shot either. How many times has a parent gone on TV screaming "ma babby be innothint! He never did 'nuffin wrong! He finally be 'turnin his life aroun!"? How many women refuse to leave an abusive partner because they love him too much and they think they can change them or their partner's life will fall apart without their intervention? At some point that becomes just as much of a natural selection issue as joining or keeping company with gang members and those in the drug trade! The problem is not guns, it is that prisons are too nice, forced labor is seldom part of the prison system, and executions are extremely rare. There are a ton of other things about society that need to be addressed to reduce crime, but getting rid of the thugs is a great start.

I can follow you JB, right up until you get into the idea that making the prisons tougher and ramping up the death penalty would be effective. The problem is that deterrents work best if they're severe and immediate, e.g. a gun pointed at you with the sure knowledge that to continue your current course is to be shot; the vague thought of a tough prison or distant needle does not have the same effect. Singapore is but one of many countries that execute drug smugglers, and yet people still smuggle drugs through Singapore, cause they don't expect to get caught. That's one of the great things about guns in private hands, they actually prevent crimes, as opposed to the justice system, which overwhelmingly punishes after the fact but does not prevent,

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 1:54 pm

Raptor wrote:
Funny, as an American here in Dogpatch with all the gun nuts and rednecks I don’t feel endangered by guns at all. But I guess I’m just not socially enlightened enough to know how I feel.

By that logic, you could probably develop the same conditioning against nail bombs or pressure cooker bombs, if everyone was walking around with them.

The rest of the world by in large has a rational and sober fear of firearms and for good reason.

Raptor wrote:
Right now you’re just spouting rhetoric that’s already been shot down over and over.

So you say, but right now I see you doing less shooting and more running your mouth.

My deviant art profile

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 2:14 pm

Probably half or more of murders in this country are drug related and most of those can be tied directly to prohibition than the effects of the drugs. I'm so sick of these politicians saying how much they care about children when they continue immoral and ILLEGAL drug war against the American people that has destroyed our inner cities and created the largest imprisoned population in the world. These "liberal" sickos who cry for gun control claim to care about minorities when the drug war is disgustingly racist and aimed at locking them up and destroying their communities. Colorado and their "liberal" governor and "liberal" legislature which have recently rammed thru their own gun control measures are plotting ways to overturn the will of the people of Colorado who voted themselves to legalize the recreational use of marijuana. The ploy being kicked around is put a massive tax increase on ballot to cover the cost of "regulating" legal marijuana and if it fails the referendum that legalized would be voided, as if it costs ANYWHERE near the cost of prohibition.

Colorado and a lot of western states have seen a massive influx of Californians fleeing their failed state but they're bringing to deluded politicial beliefs that destroyed California.

Politicians getting crocodile tears is just so sickening, are these people idiots or just plain sociopaths? They care so much about children but we commit a Sandy Hook, a Boston bombing, and Aurora EVERY day overseas. How many tears has Obama shed for those Pakistani school children he's murdered? Again unsurprising, remember Madeline Albright saying the deaths 500,000 Iraqi children from our sanctions was worth the price to punish Saddam Hussein.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 2:43 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Raptor wrote:

By that logic, you could probably develop the same conditioning against nail bombs or pressure cooker bombs, if everyone was walking around with them.

That statement right there shows you lack of understanding of the subject you're trying to argue.

thomas81 wrote:
The rest of the world by in large has a rational and sober fear of firearms and for good reason.

Fear of an inanimate object? The fear of weapons is called Hoplophobia.

Raptor wrote:

thomas81 wrote:
So you say, but right now I see you doing less shooting and more running your mouth.

I sense hostility rising here. Is that what you resort to when you can't bring anything of substance to a debate?

And you're the one that baited me with this \/ thread a few days ago.
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt229481.html

kabouter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Apr 2013, 4:55 pm

Raptor wrote:
kabouter wrote:

Sorry for your loss but he didn’t commit suicide because of the rifle being left available. He obviously intended to commit suicide and the rifle was just the first tool available. Homes have other suicide tools on hand that would have gotten the job done just as well.

Young teenage boys don't have enough knowledge about suicide methods, guns are quick and final, doesn't give them a chance to reconsider, they just do it.

Most people that consider suicide, will reconsider if given the oppertunity and chance. Your reasoning seems very callous, especially given the number of people here who would have considered suicide here at some time.

Raptor wrote:
kabouter wrote:

Good place for you to stay, then.

I agree, we have a lower death rate from guns, and lower suicide rate. We also don't have the death penalty, so that when mistakes are made with convictions, we can release them rather than just say sorry over their grave.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 5:16 pm

Raptor wrote:
That statement right there shows you lack of understanding of the subject you're trying to argue.

You talk a lot about it but you don't display much understanding either.

Raptor wrote:
Fear of an inanimate object? The fear of weapons is called Hoplophobia.

and what tell me, is the fear of a weapon plus an unstable lunatic behind the trigger?

Raptor wrote:

I sense hostility rising here. Is that what you resort to when you can't bring anything of substance to a debate?

And you're the one that baited me with this

Context, context context.

Now which of the following raptors do you think i could have meant, considering there was a damn dinosaur in the opening post? Don't flatter yourself sparky.

My deviant art profile

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 5:18 pm

kabouter wrote:

The NRA advocates on behalf of it's constituents, and there are a lot of them. It sounds like pure semantics, but you need to understand that the poll being touted showed 90% support for "background checks" generally, not 90% support for that particular bill. There is also the matter of how that poll was worded, and the ignorance of the electorate concerning what laws are already on the books and what is actually meant by some of these proposed laws. Many people responding to that poll, for example, thought they were supporting a law that was already on the books.

kabouter wrote:

So, if he'd used a belt instead would you be calling for belt control? Not trying to be callous, but you opened the door by relating a personal story for political purposes.

kabouter wrote:

Just as I find the criminalization of speech in the commonwealth countries disturbing. Thankfully, we don't use the comfort of foreigners as a metric for formulating our domestic policies.

kabouter wrote:

What's your point? It used to be common for high schools to have rifle teams, and for teens in hunting country to have deer rifles in their cars on campus during the season; never caused any problems.

kabouter wrote:

And you can kindly keep them there in Australia with you.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 5:26 pm

Quote:

??? Have you any idea of the historical murder situation?

As someone who lived in Jamaica in the 90s, it has made no differnce. The most violent were the 70s to late 80s and that was political and crime. It is not like they can control it that well anyway. The significance is it is less of a stop off for drug than that past, as they are going more direct, or through Mexico now.

1980s was pretty bad. They basically sent in the military. It is not as bad, as in the past.

This is what people don't seem to understand it is nothing to do with any of this. Both the anti and gun lobby are wrong. There are cultural differences, where a policy might might make a difference. But in terms of a general rule, there is no hard evidence either way that it make one iota of differnce.

It is not as if these law are enforceable, in the Don constituencies, where the politician are linked to the don what they say goes. I basically studied the electoral system as project, and was given access to their system. They used fingerprint scanners, and id cards way before they were used in other countries (and many western country still rely on trust), to try and put a lid on the corruption, it hasn't worked really. In any event the normal response is for the looser to cry foul.

Last edited by 0_equals_true on 28 Apr 2013, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 5:31 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
This is what people don't seem to understand it is nothing to do with any of this. Both the anti and gun lobby are wrong. There are cultural differences, where a policy might might make a difference. But in term of a general rule, there is no hard evidence either way that it make one iota of differnce.

Isn't that what I've been saying all along? That it's cultural and socioeconomic, not firearms access or lack thereof?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 5:38 pm

Dox47 wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
This is what people don't seem to understand it is nothing to do with any of this. Both the anti and gun lobby are wrong. There are cultural differences, where a policy might might make a difference. But in term of a general rule, there is no hard evidence either way that it make one iota of differnce.

Isn't that what I've been saying all along? That it's cultural and socioeconomic, not firearms access or lack thereof?

But that the point it works both ways.

Personally in the UK I agree with the situation. You might not agree, but personally you aren't living here, and I'm not criticizing your country. It is very specific.