Stephen Hawking joins academic boycott of Israel

Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 2:47 pm

AgentPalpatine wrote:
If you read the Guardian, you know what viewpoint you'll get.

If you read Haaretz, you know what viewpoint you'll get.

If you read the Sunday Times, you know what viewpoint you'll get.

If you read the Washington Post, you know that you'll get a viewpoint from whoever gave the information for the story.

If you read the Washington Times, you know viewpoint you'll get.

If you read Arutz Sheva, you know what viewpoint you'll get.

that sort of logic nullifies any source, so we may as well delete the PPR forum and call it a day.

My deviant art profile

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 2:49 pm

Fanta,a German drink??I bet the inventor of it would roll in his grave if he knew it was the favorite choice of Insane Clown Posse,they like to shake it up and spray it on the fans,Gross.
I know,this is of no political interest,just trying to lighten the mood.
Thank some being we are not to blame for Fanta,what a relief. :lol:

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 2:54 pm

thomas81 wrote:
AgentPalpatine wrote:
If you read the Guardian, you know what viewpoint you'll get.

If you read Haaretz, you know what viewpoint you'll get.

If you read the Sunday Times, you know what viewpoint you'll get.

If you read the Washington Post, you know that you'll get a viewpoint from whoever gave the information for the story.

If you read the Washington Times, you know viewpoint you'll get.

If you read Arutz Sheva, you know what viewpoint you'll get.

that sort of logic nullifies any source, so we may as well delete the PPR forum and call it a day.

Eh, I go with the old motto "If you can only afford one newspaper, read the opposition". Sometimes it helps put a new angle on something.

What did you think of the list of sources?

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 3:02 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Fanta,a German drink??I bet the inventor of it would roll in his grave if he knew it was the favorite choice of Insane Clown Posse,they like to shake it up and spray it on the fans,Gross.

My understanding is that the Germans invented it after American relations deteriorated and it became impossible to import Coca Cola so they came up with Fanta to drink with their meals instead. After the war ended the original intellectual property ownership no longer applied so the recipe caught on the west. So guess who got their hands on it? Coca Cola!

My deviant art profile

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 3:30 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Jono wrote:
Academics shouldn't be getting involved with politics.

Why? Politics affects everyone.

If you spent your life avoiding politics, you wouldn't have much of a pro-active life.

Or, to quote the German Marxist Bertolt Brecht:

"The worst illiterate is the political illiterate, he doesn’t hear, doesn’t speak, nor participates in the political events. He doesn’t know the cost of life, the price of the bean, of the fish, of the flour, of the rent, of the shoes and of the medicine, all depends on political decisions. The political illiterate is so stupid that he is proud and swells his chest saying that he hates politics. The imbecile doesn’t know that, from his political ignorance is born the prostitute, the abandoned child, and the worst thieves of all, the bad politician, corrupted and flunky of the national and multinational companies.”

― Bertolt Brecht

Never have wiser words been written. God bless the late Bertold Brecht!

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 3:42 pm

thomas81 wrote:

"The worst illiterate is the political illiterate, he doesn’t hear, doesn’t speak, nor participates in the political events. He doesn’t know the cost of life, the price of the bean, of the fish, of the flour, of the rent, of the shoes and of the medicine, all depends on political decisions. The political illiterate is so stupid that he is proud and swells his chest saying that he hates politics. The imbecile doesn’t know that, from his political ignorance is born the prostitute, the abandoned child, and the worst thieves of all, the bad politician, corrupted and flunky of the national and multinational companies.”

― Bertolt Brecht

Politics is foul and degrading and a moral person should have nothing to do with it.

ruveyn

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 3:48 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

My understanding is that the Germans invented it after American relations deteriorated and it became impossible to import Coca Cola so they came up with Fanta to drink with their meals instead. After the war ended the original intellectual property ownership no longer applied so the recipe caught on the west. So guess who got their hands on it? Coca Cola!

Here's what wiki says:

Fanta originated as a result of difficulties importing Coca-Cola syrup into Nazi Germany during World War II due to a trade embargo. To circumvent this, Max Keith, the head of Coca-Cola Deutschland (Coca-Cola GmbH) during the Second World War, decided to create a new product for the German market, using only ingredients available in Germany at the time, including whey and pomace – the "leftovers of leftovers", as Keith later recalled. The name was the result of a brief brainstorming session, which started with Keith exhorting his team to "use their imagination" ("Fantasie" in German), to which one of his salesmen, Joe Knipp, immediately retorted "Fanta!"
While the plant was effectively cut off from Coca Cola headquarters during the war, plant management did not join the Nazi Party. After the war, the Coca Cola corporation regained control of the plant, formula and the trademarks to the new Fanta product — as well as the plant profits made during the war.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 4:06 pm

ruveyn wrote:
thomas81 wrote:

― Bertolt Brecht

Politics is foul and degrading and a moral person should have nothing to do with it.

ruveyn

Brecht would have argued otherwise, as he had had to flee Germany due to his Anti-Nazi politics, while others had simply kept their heads down and pretended their country wasn't being swallowed up by the abyss.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 4:16 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Brecht would have argued otherwise, as he had had to flee Germany due to his Anti-Nazi politics, while others had simply kept their heads down and pretended their country wasn't being swallowed up by the abyss.

A man with more balls than any of these modern day Israelis, thats for sure.

My deviant art profile

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 8:29 pm

Fanta,pomace and whey ?Isn't that what's is in weight gainer products?Maybe the Nazis were trying to bulk up the population.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 6:08 am

thomas81 wrote:
Jono wrote:
Academics shouldn't be getting involved with politics.

Why? Politics affects everyone.

If you spent your life avoiding politics, you wouldn't have much of a pro-active life.

Or, to quote the German Marxist Bertolt Brecht:

― Bertolt Brecht

Stephen Hawking is a physicist, not a political scientist. This is the same nonsense that happened when the Vice-Rector of my own university decided to stop the university's collaboration Ben-Gurion University because of the "Palestinian Issue". And so ended the research collaboration for the water purification project, which the Israeli's have more expertise and would of benefitted us. Why should we stop collaboration like that because of politics that researchers on either side personally have nothing to do with? In the meantime, almost everybody who talks about the Israeli-Palestinian issue thinks they are so right but they are actually so bloody wrong.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 10:04 am

Jono wrote:

Stephen Hawking is a physicist, not a political scientist. This is the same nonsense that happened when the Vice-Rector of my own university decided to stop the university's collaboration Ben-Gurion University because of the "Palestinian Issue". And so ended the research collaboration for the water purification project, which the Israeli's have more expertise and would of benefitted us. Why should we stop collaboration like that because of politics that researchers on either side personally have nothing to do with? In the meantime, almost everybody who talks about the Israeli-Palestinian issue thinks they are so right but they are actually so bloody wrong.

Stephen Hawking is 70 years old and is capable of forming his own politically based opinions. One does not need a degree in political science to formulate a political opinion. Political opinions are like ass holes. Everybody has at least one.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 1:20 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Jono wrote:

Stephen Hawking is 70 years old and is capable of forming his own politically based opinions. One does not need a degree in political science to formulate a political opinion. Political opinions are like ass holes. Everybody has at least one.

ruveyn

There are those so full of it that they are in need of at least two. :lol:

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 2:00 pm

if it was up to me, people like Stephen Hawking would be in charge.

Not slithering politicians that have no skill in doing anything other than manipulating opinion polls and taking advantage of electorate disenfranchisement.

My deviant art profile

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 2:04 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Jono wrote:

ruveyn

Aside from everything else, one wonders how well he actually is - remember, he's quite ill and he's in his early seventies, as well as the heavy suggestion that he's suffered from some very questionable treatment from former partners that he refuses to talk about (remember the incident where his former wife and carer deliberately left him out in the baking hot sun for hours?)

He's been to Israel before a number of times and has never complained. Some have mentioned that the BDS campaigners have been bombarding him with requests to boycott the thing.

If this is his final and real comment on it, then fair enough. I do wonder if he might have been 'got at' though and how much of what is coming out is his real opinion. I obviously feel bad for Jews and Israelis generally on this.

Oh, and the Israelis are working on the cure for his present medical ailment. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 2:34 pm

Tequila wrote:

Aside from everything else, one wonders how well he actually is - remember, he's quite ill and he's in his early seventies, as well as the heavy suggestion that he's suffered from some very questionable treatment from former partners that he refuses to talk about (remember the incident where his former wife and carer deliberately left him out in the baking hot sun for hours?)

Or perhaps he has only recently educated himself on the intracacies of Arab-Israeli politics, did you consider that?
Tequila wrote:
Oh, and the Israelis are working on the cure for his present medical ailment. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Sure, I suppose since I pursued a diagnosis for Asperger's syndrome using the same logic that makes me a nazi supporter?

My deviant art profile