Page 5 of 11 [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 2:00 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:
Actually, the greatest political evil, and in fact, a large part of why Communism became so prominent in the developing world, is the Imperialism that you seem to espouse. Imagine this. I go to your house. I declare it mine, and just to prove the point, I shoot your dog (hypothetical, you automatically have a dog). I'm bigger than you. I then proceed to declare that you now have to maintain the place, while I sit on my ass and watch football. Maybe I get bored, and... ahem... take your wife. You complain, I beat the snot out of you. You try to leave, I beat the snot out of you. You do anything I don't like, you get a beating. Hey, I'm bigger than you. It's my right. What would you do?

Yes, but being the superpower I'm on the controlling side. The world is not a utopia; there is one way (not always good) or the worse way (very rarely good).

fueledbycoffee wrote:
As for not being heavy handed enough, what would you have us do? Win their hearts and minds by culling their cities and salting their fields? How about we just nuke the whole thing!

That means gain control quickly by whatever conventional means THEN work with them to sort out the mess and chart a better course other than communism or what is causing them to want to (or think they want to) go communist.

fueledbycoffee wrote:
It worked for the Israelites! Round 'em up, stick 'em in concentration camps.

Is this about Israel's policies in dealing with the Palestinians or a Nazi era holocaust thing your making comparisons to? I can never tell with your kind since you in effect call for the destruction of the state of Israel but in the same breath call conservatives Nazis.

fueledbycoffee wrote:
Let's make tracks across the world, an endless march of DEMOCRACY! and FREEDOM!, leaving naught but ash in it's wake! That'll keep 'em happy. Violence solves no problems? No man, no problem. They can't revolt when they're all dead, right?

Ah yes, resort to hysteria when all else fails. :roll:

Quote:
Christ, you sicken me.

Don't get any on ya.

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 2:12 pm

Raptor wrote:
Is this about Israel's policies in dealing with the Palestinians or a Nazi era holocaust thing your making comparisons to? I can never tell with your kind since you in effect call for the destruction of the state of Israel but in the same breath call conservatives Nazis.

Read your Bible. That has nothing to do with Israel or Nazi, hence the use of the name, Israelites, as opposed to Israeli.

Quote:
Then they devoted all in the city to destruction, both men and women, young and old, oxen, sheep, and donkeys, with the edge of the sword.

Joshua 6:24

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 2:14 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Read your Bible. That has nothing to do with Israel or Nazi, hence the use of the name, Israelites, as opposed to Israeli.

Quote:
Then they devoted all in the city to destruction, both men and women, young and old, oxen, sheep, and donkeys, with the edge of the sword.

Joshua 6:24

Why should I went I can get you to read it to me? :P

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 2:19 pm

I almost forgot about you. :o

thomas81 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
When it's that close to home, definitely.
Containing communism anywhere in the world is a noble endeavor.

Thats a matter of ideological relativism, not moral absolutism.

You're basically saying you're a selective democrat. You only want other countries to be able to pick their own rulers, in as far as it suits you.

When what's at stake is at stake, yes. I hope I don't have to reiterate what's at stake for you.

thomas81 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Actually, I don't care.
For such a despised nation we sure get a lot of immigration.

Immigration is economically motivated, not ideologically motivated.

Whats more hating the government isn't the same as hating the country. I bet a hell of a lot of Americans are appalled at their own government's attitude towards Cuba.

Most Americans except for the cigar lovers could care less about our relations or lack of them with Cuba .

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 2:22 pm

Well at least my positions on Cuba seem to be quite moderate...

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 2:27 pm

Raptor wrote:
Most Americans except for the cigar lovers could care less about our relations or lack of them with Cuba .

False. Although I smoke, I don't particularly care for cigars, and from the tobacco that I've smoked in the past, I rather prefer Turkish. Never much cared for the American blends, Latin or otherwise.

The reason I want to see Cuba, aside from trusting my own judgment more than others, is because I want to meet the people and understand them. I want to see Havana, in it's preserved historic state. I want to learn from the people there and enjoy their culture, as I have with French people and Russians, Salvadorans and Peruvians and Guajiro. I find foreign cultures interesting, obsessively so, and I think it's a damn shame that unlike anywhere else in the world, I can't drink from the wellspring as far as Cuban culture is concerned.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 2:32 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:
Raptor wrote:

False. Although I smoke, I don't particularly care for cigars, and from the tobacco that I've smoked in the past, I rather prefer Turkish. Never much cared for the American blends, Latin or otherwise.

The reason I want to see Cuba, aside from trusting my own judgment more than others, is because I want to meet the people and understand them. I want to see Havana, in it's preserved historic state. I want to learn from the people there and enjoy their culture, as I have with French people and Russians, Salvadorans and Peruvians and Guajiro. I find foreign cultures interesting, obsessively so, and I think it's a damn shame that unlike anywhere else in the world, I can't drink from the wellspring as far as Cuban culture is concerned.

You can, just if you get in trouble there you're screwed as there's no diplomatic ties. But nobody's gonna stop you from going to Cuba from Canada. There's actually US State Department trips to Cuba for "cultural exchange." That rapper Jay-Z went to Cuba and then bragged about how he got clearance from Obama himself (when it was just the state department) to go to Cuba. Just don't get in trouble as you'll be utterly f****d.

Supposedly a week all inclusive to Cuba is like $700.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 2:57 pm

A someone who has lived in various developing countries and have also visited Cuba. Many people need to get off their high horse. My father also lived their under Batista. Batista was sort of a Mugabe populist character someone who would do anything to hold onto power, and directly dealt with the American mafia.

I'm no defender of the regime, but it is really easy to talk down any place, in reality it is pretty average for developing countries. You have to be a realist.

One of the major flaw of the cold war, is it created the logical fallacy belief of "because we are not like them, and they are idealist, we are not idealistic". The reality is we are very idealist to fault.

I also lived in Angola during the civil war, a place which was used to fight the cold war by proxy. American supported Jonas Savimbi even though he at least pretended to be a Maoist, and was a murderous terrorist, who committed war crimes. Dos Santos also no saint, but nevertheless much more stable solution. The irony is Savimbi always said he would throw the oil companies out. Angola is now the second biggest location for oil in Africa, and has been a strong hold for American oil companies for years now.

I visited Chevron oil in Cabinda gulf, it is massive.

In all honestly Marxism or Maoism, means f**k all if you are a cow herder, who get little or nothing from the government anyway, and rarely see any representatives. It is not as if any of these political schools actually meant anything anyway.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 4:24 pm

South Africa appreciates Cuba's role in ending Apartheid at the Battle of Cuito Cuanavale.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 5:12 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
A someone who has lived in various developing countries and have also visited Cuba. Many people need to get off their high horse. My father also lived their under Batista. Batista was sort of a Mugabe populist character someone who would do anything to hold onto power, and directly dealt with the American mafia.

He was very similar to Castro when it came to holding power. I'd say that dealing with the USSR and aiming nuclear warheads at the US is worse than dealing with the mafia, though.

Quote:
I'm no defender of the regime, but it is really easy to talk down any place, in reality it is pretty average for developing countries. You have to be a realist.

In terms of civil rights, it's worse. 13 de Marzo would never have happened in any democratic nation or a hybrid regime.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 6:21 pm

Kurgan wrote:
He was very similar to Castro when it came to holding power. I'd say that dealing with the USSR and aiming nuclear warheads at the US is worse than dealing with the mafia, though.

The didn't aim to be precise the US located the whereabouts, they weren't fully deployed but were working on it. It was Khrushchev and reaction to missiles in Turkey.

It is funny how Russians today get off quite lightly yet arguably, Putin is not to be trusted.

Kurgan wrote:
In terms of civil rights, it's worse. 13 de Marzo would never have happened in any democratic nation or a hybrid regime.

Bit of a silly statement. Define hybrid regime? There are plenty of similar countries with the same sort of human right record to Cuba.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 6:25 pm

thomas81 wrote:

Whats more hating the government isn't the same as hating the country. I bet a hell of a lot of Americans are appalled at their own government's attitude towards Cuba.

The average American does not give a rat's a** about Cuba. The the Americans who smoke cigars never forgave Castro for lowering the standards of production for Havana Cigars. The best Havana cigar tobacco is now grown in Guatemala.

ruveyn

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 7:32 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:
I've been reading a lot on Cuba, recently. One thing I keep hearing, from just about everyone but Miami Cubans, is that it really isn't that bad. We have a bad habit of assuming that our own standard of living is normal, so *gasp* they're so deprived that they don't have malls and mochas and three cars */gasp*. However, compared with the rest of Latin America, Cuba has been damned impressive for a good while now.

In less than 50 years, they've turned a colonial sugar monoculture into relatively diverse agriculture, have a modest but steady economy, 100% literacy, and strong public health care. Since the whole missile crisis deal, they've kept to themselves, avoiding US & Soviet style adventurism, and focused largely on developing Cuba. Over the last half century, they've continually been on of the strongest nations in Latin America, even post-Soviet. Imagine what they could be if they weren't under constant attack (Although mostly rhetoric, these days) and embargo.

Cuba isn't an oppressed nation as the US media has always put it. The economic isolation actually helped them be relatively safe from the IMF's insidious fingers and they learned to lift themselves up from colonialism.

As its stands now Cuba is one of the 4 nations in the planet that could survive the peak oil crisis...because they can produce enough food to feed themselves without using oil products.

Ironically, #1 in that survival list is N. Korea. 2nd is Cuba. 3rd is Mongolia (though when oil crisis hits it will be invaded by China so it usually gets taken off the list) and 4th is New Zealand. Only one 1st world nation is on that list...and it happens to be only because they have a very low population compared to arable land.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 8:11 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
The didn't aim to be precise the US located the whereabouts, they weren't fully deployed but were working on it. It was Khrushchev and reaction to missiles in Turkey.

The missiles in Turkey did not have nuclear warheads and weren't supposed to be fired unless a war broke out. According to Che Guevara, the missiles on Cuba were actually scheduled to be fired and he even referred to Nikita Kruschev as a traitor because of it. This is one of the reasons why he eventually sided with China in the Sino-Soviet split and left Cuba.

Quote:
It is funny how Russians today get off quite lightly yet arguably, Putin is not to be trusted.

He's a somewhat corrupt guy, but he does care about the Russian people. The combination of the USSR fall and Boris Yeltsin made Russia the mess it is today.

Quote:
Bit of a silly statement. Define hybrid regime? There are plenty of similar countries with the same sort of human right record to Cuba.

A hybrid regime is a regime that's not a democracy, but not a dictatorship either. Commonly, these are countries that hold free election (with no fraud), but still employ torture of dissidents, carry out extrajudicial executions and deny the people the right to free speech. Examples today are Venezuela, Pakistan, Turkey, Armenia, Haiti and Ukraine.

Most countries with more despotic leaders than the Castro brothers have either had their leaders overthrown in the Arab spring. North Korea is an exception because food scarcity and extreme isolation prevents any uprisings.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 8:18 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:
Raptor wrote:

The fact remains that most Americans don't care about Cuba one way or the other and neither do I.
Go visit someplace else in its preserved historic state and learn from their people.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 8:21 pm

1000Knives wrote:
http://www.therealcuba.com/

Just look at all the pictures on that site.

Everything looks like it has been literally hit by a bomb.

Bits of Manchester look worse than that.