Page 7 of 11 [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 7:29 pm

Castro sure outlasted a lot of presidents.And they have fine cigars and cool lizards.While there were no tourists to mess things up, some excellent beaches for turtles to lay eggs on.And all those cool old cars still running around.Let the past be.I'd like to visit there.
I even had a pet Cuban Anole named Castro.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 7:49 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Raptor wrote:
/\ /\ /\
Well I suppose maybe it has something to do with the communist legacy of tens of millions of people exterminated and more disappearing into gulags that we backward Americans have our reservations about.

About as relevant as blaming capitalism for the atrocities committed by the Romans, or blaming capitalism for Guantanamo.

:roll:
Do you actually read what you write before you click on SUBMIT?
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Misslizard wrote:
Castro sure outlasted a lot of presidents.

Castro is a dictator and therefor has no term limitation.

Quote:
And they have fine cigars and cool lizards.

You smoke stogies?

Quote:
While there were no tourists to mess things up, some excellent beaches for turtles to lay eggs on.

No tourist because it’s a communist hellhole. Besides, we have more and better beaches here in the US of A. I bet sea turtle eggs are good fried.

Quote:
And all those cool old cars still running around.

Old cars because they sadly lack the industrial capability to build new ones and can’t afford to and/or are too backward to import them.

Quote:
Let the past be.

It’s Cuba that is still living in the past, not us.

Quote:
I'd like to visit there.

Just go to Havana North (Miami) instead.
Cuban everything in a modern setting and much nicer accommodations.

Quote:
I even had a pet Cuban Anole named Castro.

You can probably find one of those in Miami, too.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 8:11 pm

^^^^^^Yes,there are Cuban Anoles in Florida,they are considered invasive.
And I like old cars,bet you drive a big gas guzzling 4x4.Probably gets the same mpg as the old Cuban clunkers.
Of course he had no term limit,but he did outlive quite a few presidents.
And I have smoked a Havana,it was very nice.
I suppose that a turtle egg would be tasty,and also pretty expensive if you ate an endangered one.An eagle egg would also be tasty.
And beaches in America are full of American tourists,I'll pass on them and Miami.too crowded.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 8:23 pm

Cool statue of John Lennon in Havana.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 8:39 pm

Misslizard wrote:
^^^^^^Yes,there are Cuban Anoles in Florida,they are considered invasive.
And I like old cars,bet you drive a big gas guzzling 4x4.Probably gets the same mpg as the old Cuban clunkers.
Of course he had no term limit,but he did outlive quite a few presidents.
And I have smoked a Havana,it was very nice.
I suppose that a turtle egg would be tasty,and also pretty expensive if you ate an endangered one.An eagle egg would also be tasty.
And beaches in America are full of American tourists,I'll pass on them and Miami.too crowded.

I like old cars but more like this.
[img][800:768]http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc328/30CalM1/Green67Mustang_zps441be2d5.jpg[/img]

Better hope that eagle doesn't catch you stealing its eggs.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 8:40 pm

Misslizard wrote:

Cool statue of John Lennon in Havana.

The perfect place for him.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 8:51 pm

^^^^^Yeah,he would have liked it there :lol:
Nice car,I had a 65 Impala SS,not as nice a car as that,but I wish I still had it.
And I hope the Game and Fish Officer does not catch your talon in an endangered turtle nest.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 8:58 pm

/\ /\ /\
That 'Stang aint mine but that model (1967-68 fastback GT) is one of my favorites for a classic car.

I have a 4Runner and a Tundra.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 9:05 pm

^^^^^^You didn't buy American????? 8O

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 9:16 pm

The Tundra was made in the US.
The 4Runner wasn't but oh well. When any US automaker can get off it's ass build a useful SUV that's actually as good as a 4Runner I'll consider buying it.
Until then I'll stick with my rice burner.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 9:35 pm

^^^Toyota is the favorite vehicle of the Taliban,but I guess it would have to be tough to hold up there.Maybe they are good in sand.I have not been that impressed with how they hold up here.At least not the Tacoma models.I did not know the Tundra was US made.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 10:44 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Toyota is the favorite vehicle of the Taliban,but I guess it would have to be tough to hold up there.Maybe they are good in sand.

Yes, they do at least have good taste in vehicles. The fact that they are the preferred brand of Islamic terrorists is actually a valuable endorsement that I would not let go to waste if I were in charge of Toyota marketing. :D

Quote:
I have not been that impressed with how they hold up here. At least not the Tacoma models.

The Tacoma is generally a better mid size truck than a Ranger or S-10 (Colorado).
The Colorado is made in Brazil or somewhere in S. America.

Quote:
I did not know the Tundra was US made.

In Princeton Indiana from 2000-06 model years.
San Antonio from 2007-13 model years.
Last time I checked most of the parts are US made, too.
The Tundra is aimed at the US and Canadian markets since we like bigger trucks.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 4:23 am

Raptor wrote:
Schneekugel wrote:
Quote:
The fact remains that most Americans don't care about Cuba one way or the other and neither do I.
Go visit someplace else in its preserved historic state and learn from their people.

You dont need to mention that, its well known around the world, that many US citizens are cultural ignorants. But still thank you, if a not US citizen had told this, he would have get blamed for prejudices. ^^

And it's well known around the world that many people love communism and want to visit one of the communist countries that still exist.
BTW, calling me culturally ignorant is a compliment.

Yes they do. Because most people dont have that "Oh my god - communism! - phobia." Cuba is a normal nice land for holidays, just like the also communistic Indonesia, that has as well many tourists. Countries simply have different kind of government forms, but when you travel to your neighbors, you will simply find out, that 95% of the citizens of every country are everyday normal people like you and me, that dont care that much for politics but simply stand up, try to have a breakfast, go to their everyday work, try to have families and educate their children. Even in the oh so evil north corea, 95% of the citizen simply live everyday life and are completely boring people like you and I. Thats why bad politicians of the different countries want us to be ignorant. Because if we leary by our own eyes and experiences, that most of their "the horrible communism country of Cuba" stories are nonsense, they cant push us anymore to support them with their private wars, that are mostly about economic deeds for the 5% rest of the citzens. Thats why I find it so horrible when people spak about bombing Cuba or bombing North Corea or knows hell what. Your 5% as*hole people really managed to let the simply normal people think, that their would evil nations exist, that need to be bombed. These are normal people, just like your neighbors. Would you be disturbed in any way, when someone simply told that he want to kill a million people of your neighbors, only because your US government is for largest part a bunch of corrupt bastards, that are payed by companies and economies that f**k you and all the normal people, to acchieve them their golden swimming pools? Its the same with the world trade towers. These were normal people dying there, people like you and me, like our neighbors. It was not so terrible worng, because they were US citizens, noones cares for that. It was wrong because they simply wanted to got to work for their families. There is no difference to them if they were US citizens, or Europe citizens, or cuba citizens or russians citizens... And thats why these actions were so terrible wrong and why we call it terror. Not because they were US citizens. If they would have been from Cuba it would have been similar wrong. And thats why politicians want us to be ignorants and have prejudices against certain countries. Because as long as we dont defend ourselves against this, they can manage us not to see how wrong the s**t is the want to sell us.

You have causes to be f****d up with the military regime of north corea. Absolute. But there are no causes to be f****d up with normal neighbors and tell yourself, that it wouldnt be wrong, and that it wouldnt be terror to threat them with death and war, as they El Kaida terrorists threatened that simply normal neighbors in New York with war and death. They also had causes to be f****d up with your government. Absolutly. I am also f****d up with many things your government does, your politicians does and your companies and their CEOs does. They are responsible for lots of suffering around the world. But that doesnt mean, that I am f****d up with you or your country and its citizens, or that I wish you or your neighbor or anyone death, or that I tell myself that your death would not be important, only because you live in a country with an as*hole government. That doesnt make you an as*hole, and it doesnt change anything that you are a normal important being, and no different from my town neighbors.

Be f****d up with tyrants and bastard politicians as much as you want, they deserve that. But dont give into the propaganda of your own media tyrants and bastard politicians, that want to tell you that you should be f****d up with a countries normal citizens, so your own bastard politicians can act as they want without you telling them, that they should get their ass moving and start with what they are supposed to do, instead of threating normal citizens out of economical reasons.

Yop, the politic government of Cuba is worth a lots of discussions, just like the US or the russian government as well. That doesnt change anything, that if you travel there, you will meet to 95% normal everyday people, and because of them being normal neighbors like you and me, have nice contacts, nice talkings, ... spend a nice holiday. My friends didnt like Cuba because of Castro ^^, they like it because its a nice country with nice citizens. So in the USA you often have great political changes when there are 4 years the republicans leading, and after that the democrats. Sure they do different politics. But it doesnt change a land or its citizens. If you visit the USA during the Clinton, the Bush, or now the Obama time, wont influence anything for someone visiting the USA to meet and have contact with normal US citizens and your culture. Ordinary Jane and John Doe will always be Jane and John Doe, no matter if its now republicans leading your country for some years or democrats. And if your countries president suddenly was a pedophile madmen, also would have no influence on the fact that the citizens of your country are simply normal nice people, with an interesting culture. :)

Nobody visits Cuba or Russia because of Castro and Putin, just as noone visits your country to meet the f*****g bastard CEO of General Oil/Motors/... or that old NRA leader idiot. People come because 95% are normal nice people, worth to know, and its nice to meet you and interesting to learn of your culture, the similaries and the differences... :)

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 5:27 am

Raptor wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Toyota is the favorite vehicle of the Taliban,but I guess it would have to be tough to hold up there.Maybe they are good in sand.

Yes, they do at least have good taste in vehicles. The fact that they are the preferred brand of Islamic terrorists is actually a valuable endorsement that I would not let go to waste if I were in charge of Toyota marketing. :D

Quote:
I have not been that impressed with how they hold up here. At least not the Tacoma models.

The Tacoma is generally a better mid size truck than a Ranger or S-10 (Colorado).
The Colorado is made in Brazil or somewhere in S. America.

Quote:
I did not know the Tundra was US made.

In Princeton Indiana from 2000-06 model years.
San Antonio from 2007-13 model years.
Last time I checked most of the parts are US made, too.
The Tundra is aimed at the US and Canadian markets since we like bigger trucks.

This is the best marketing Toyota could have had, Top Gear destroying a Toyota Hilux:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk[/youtube]

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 10:55 am

Speaking of cars, another "embargo" has affected me. It's what I call the NHTSA embargo. Before the 1980s, you could just import any car you wanted from another country. Porsche, Mercedes, etc, got mad, as people would import the cars from Europe with a cheaper price/more features, and the US dealers wouldn't make any money. So they persuaded Congress to pass a law that said any car being imported into the US needs to be crash tested/etc by NHTSA, which is a process that costs a couple million to do.

What this translates to me is, I can't buy a Nissan Skyline GTR in Japan for the price of like a used Camaro here, put it on a cargo container and drive it around town here. I can't import it and drive it on a road here, basically for politically motivated reasons.

This is actually the same thing with guns, too. All Chinese firearm imports are banned because supposedly in the 90s Norinco tried selling rockets to street gangs, according to the ATF (I don't know who to believe, unscrupulous Chinese businessmen or the ATF.) But they allowed Norinco shotguns to be imported in. Anyway, 2004, Bush banned all Norinco imports completely to sanction China for human rights. Whatever.

What this translates to is right next door in Canada, you can buy a Norinco M14 for like $400, but in US you can only get US manufactured ones that cost like $1000+. The American gun industry/NRA is sneaky as hell like this. Most gun control laws have pretty much been in part made to shut out foreign competition, going back to the 1968 Gun Control law which was sponsored by the NRA, which banned importation of many foreign pistols due to not having enough features according to the law. It was the same thing in the 1990s with the "assault weapons." You couldn't import a gun directly from the country, but if you made the same gun in USA from US made parts, or made the gun halfway from the foreign parts and halfway from US parts and assembled it here, it's legal.

Going with the Nissan Skyline thing, I cannot import a Nissan Skyline in it's manufactured configuration, but it'd be totally legal if I decided to throw a Corvette engine and transmission in, because then it'd be a "kit car."

Anyway, bureaucracy is apart of life. In this regard, going to Canada to take your Cuban vacation seems relatively easy compared to other silly bureaucratic crap you have to deal with. I do believe it's probably time to bury the hatchet with Cuba, the embargo probably should have ended at most when the USSR fell, but hey.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 11:06 am

I´d say its less about burocracy, but simply to protect jobs. The carproducing industry had some horrible crashes in the last year, but still its an important part of US economic. About the weaponpart I dont know, but I think it will be similar. That canadian dont care for your jobs in your country is clear. ^^