Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 12:04 pm

What do you think.

Once under communism in Poland "school youth" and employees of factories and offices.
Were forced to so-called "social action" that is performing no paid work for the community.

It ended when Communism collapsed. I was born in 1986 and so I grew up after the fall of communism.
Now, some advocate to restore the "social action" that the kids have to work out a certain number of hours "volunteering", what is it, work for free! WTF? I understand that this may apply to convicts with low sentences, but to compel someone and call it "volunteering"?!

I have nothing to volunteering, I thought to start working as a volunteer at an animal shelter in my town, because I like all kinds of animals :-)

But to force someone to work as a volunteer, if you were forced to me, I did everything to make this one bitterly regretted it :twisted:

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 1:01 pm

The idea is quite commonplace in this country. Not so much in execution, but a lot of people seem to think that volunteering done under coercion is still "volunteering".

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 1:03 pm

I agree.
Volunteering should be just that and nothing forced or threatened.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

09 May 2013, 1:24 pm

Pretty sure forced volunteering is slavery.

catwhisperer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 May 2013, 1:57 pm

Well we could look at it as forced volunteering. But then what are unpaid internships when they are needed to get into a certain line of work? What is a required 4year degree that leaves us strapped with tens of thousands in debt that will take decades to pay off? I would rather volunteer my way into a career than drag around all that debt. With that being said....is any of the volunteering an opportunity to get into a paid job?

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 2:04 pm

How is it volunteering if you're forced, exactly? If you're forced, then you're not volunteering anymore, really.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

hblu1992
Raven
Raven

09 May 2013, 2:08 pm

In America many school districts force you to do 60 to 70 hours of community service in order to graduate.Of course it's your choice where you volunteer but it is mandatory.

catwhisperer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 May 2013, 2:11 pm

Yeah the two words taken together with former established meanings create an oxymoron. New situations arise. Life changes and words are given new meanings. I'm saying look at the bright side and see if you can benefit from the situation. If I could go back 20 years I would rather be forced to volunteer where I'm working towards an occupation and NOT paying money than to work myself to death for 7 years AND pay a ridiculous amount of money to do it.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 2:56 pm

Theorethically you need 80 hours of community service here in order to graduate from high school, and I remember I did help in seventh and eight grade at my old school as an historian-assistant, and was over halfway through until I switched schools. In the new one I just signed some paper saying I'd done the eighty hours doing whatever, and that was it.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 3:00 pm

persian85033 wrote:
How is it volunteering if you're forced, exactly? If you're forced, then you're not volunteering anymore, really.

My mom was compelled to community service, but she say this but it is very nice memory that she could help rebuild the country.

She told me how with her class, cleared the city after the devastation of World War II. Poland took over, Wroclaw, from the Germans, as war reparations.

My mother told me that in the city you could find ammo belts, cartridges, parts of uniforms, and all kind of military equipment

Mandatory volunteering was in Poland until 1989, then was lifted. functioned not only in schools but also in the workplace, employees were forced to not paid community work. . Some advocate restoration of "social action" in the school that similar arrangements exist in other countries. Opponents say it's a smell of "communism" :D

I'm considering to be volunteer in animal shelter, I'm College student now finishing undergraduate, but i think i may do some for animals. I love cats :D

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 4:02 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
What do you think.

Once under communism in Poland "school youth" and employees of factories and offices.
Were forced to so-called "social action" that is performing no paid work for the community.

It ended when Communism collapsed. I was born in 1986 and so I grew up after the fall of communism.
Now, some advocate to restore the "social action" that the kids have to work out a certain number of hours "volunteering", what is it, work for free! WTF? I understand that this may apply to convicts with low sentences, but to compel someone and call it "volunteering"?!

I have nothing to volunteering, I thought to start working as a volunteer at an animal shelter in my town, because I like all kinds of animals :-)

But to force someone to work as a volunteer, if you were forced to me, I did everything to make this one bitterly regretted it :twisted:

Communism wasn't reached so how could it have fallen...it was actually totalitarianism under the guise of communism, but that's another topic. I don't think communism works with a monetary system. I don't really see the point of forced volunteering for kids in school though. I mean I know they required it at my school and since I had no friends and didn't know anyone and had no social skills to figure out a volunteering project I sort of failed that one. Luckily my grade did not entirely depend on it.

But yeah if someone doesn't want to be volunteering they'd only bring a contrary attitude and wouldn't be much help anyways.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 4:27 pm

The term "forced volunteering" is an outright contradiction. There is no such thing.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 4:39 pm

Isn't that an oxymoron?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 9:04 pm

Forced volunteering is an oxymoron.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 9:16 pm

Raptor wrote:
I agree.
Volunteering should be just that and nothing forced or threatened.

By definition anything voluntary is done by willing parties. No threats, no force.

ruveyn

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 9:18 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Pretty sure forced volunteering is slavery.

No, it isn't slavery but it is unfair.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com