Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 4:36 pm

Carter got stuck with paying for Viet Nam. Also the Arabs doubled the price of oil from $3 to $6 a barrel.

Bush ran unfunded wars, and when he took office oil was $13, and was driven to $100, with no shortage, just doing a favor for friends.

Housing was pushed up as the industrial jobs were shipped offshore. Our Industry is taking in each others washing!

Before Obama took office the Banks were bankrupt, and still are. Mark to Market has not been restored, all the banks hold worthless paper.

Europe used to buy US Treasuries, but were tricked into buying higher paying Mortgage Backed Securities, which became worthless. We caused the Euro Recession.

So First Aid has stopped the bleeding, we are no longer losing jobs, the paient is on life support, Food Stamps, and the family is living underwater with a declining income.

It is not a recovery and the hospital bill has not been paid. There is no money for Rehab.

Getting out of legacy wars is not cheap, Student Loans are not going to be paid, the future looks Mad Max.

How could you play this hand of cards?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 5:06 pm

Inventor wrote:

How could you play this hand of cards?

You mean this house of cards.

ruveyn

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 2:51 am

This calls for an orderly default. There will be a default, and Credit Default Swaps outnumber the worlds wealth by ten to one.

Recapitalizing the banks is a black hole. Wall Street is the pension fund, we do not need those who game off the assets of others, for a fee.

Draft the lot of them, and their regulators, put them in uniform, under Martial Law, until such time as they can produce a working economy. Facing life at hard labor and low pay, they will comply.

Other than that, ten acres, a tractor that runs on whiskey, and guns and ammo.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 7:54 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Obama got a second term, which eluded Carter,

Due largely to a change in the population's expectations. Nobody with Obama's track record would have been elected in the first place had he run in Carter's day.

Kraichgauer wrote:
killed our greatest enemy,

Um, no. The military did that, and there is strong debate that they went ahead without Obama's approval as his administartion denied the mission at least three times before, and Obama was brought in FROM THE GOLF COURSE during the mission...not something the CIC should be doing if there's something this big afoot.

Kraichgauer wrote:
and is overseeing the recovery of our economy.

Um, the fed printing money to keep things from emploding and job losses cumlatively outstripping cumulative job creation is not a recovery.

Kraichgauer wrote:
On top of that, civil rights are expanding for gay Americans

Marriage is not a subject for the federal government to oversee.

Kraichgauer wrote:
and undocumented immigrants under Obama's influence

Oh, you mean people here ILLEGALLY?

Kraichgauer wrote:
and we will see greater health coverage for Americans.

At a greater cost to everyone, less choice and quality, and the IRS having access to your medical records.

Kraichgauer wrote:
I don't see the connection between Obama's and Carter's administrations, outside of right wing propaganda.

You're right. I would vote to re-elect Carter in a heartbeat than let Obama continue as president.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 9:45 am

zer0netgain wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Due largely to a change in the population's expectations. Nobody with Obama's track record would have been elected in the first place had he run in Carter's day.

Consider who ran against Obama. Super-Schmuck, the Magic Mormon.

If the race had been between Mitt and Adolph Hitler, Hitler would have won.

ruveyn

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 10:00 am

ruveyn wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Consider who ran against Obama. Super-Schmuck, the Magic Mormon. If the race had been between Mitt and Adolph Hitler, Hitler would have won. ruveyn

I disagree; Mitt would've been Adolph's running-mate in a one-party election.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 10:20 am

Misslizard wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
If we had listened to Carter about being dependent on foreign oil we might be in better shape today.We would have more advanced solar technology than we do now.

We have our own oil. It's just a matter of saying to hell with the rest of the world and using our own and selling the surplus.

It's not as clean as solar.And drilling is nasty.I drove thru Smart oilfield near Stephens Ark and it was nasty,miles and miles of dead trees.Something about salt water.It Looked like an oily moonscape.And natural gas drilling causes earthquakes and explosive drinking water.
Why not the sun?Lennox now has a solar powered AC,I'd buy it in a heartbeat.How fun that the sun that's baking me outside at 90 degrees will cool my home for free.And the power co buys the surplus.

Yes, but until we can actually operate everything on sunshine and love we still need the oil. Even if there were cars that could operate on something other than gasoline for long distances it would take at least 10 years or more to convert almost everyone over to them from their combustion engine cars.
We're going to be oil dependent for a long time coming.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 10:37 am

^^^^^Sunshine and love? :lol: I've heard love makes the world go 'round but I doubt it will power my car.Maybe if someone who loves you buys the gas or gets behind it and pushes it when it runs out.An old bluegrass song says" love won't feed you when your hungry and cold."You have to feed yourself and chop some wood.
I'm aware that we are still oil dependent.But I think those evil communists :lol: are getting ahead on the solar front.He who has all the energy wins,so for our own safety we need more to rely on than fossil fuels.
And people should be more efficient,no more driving two blocks for a jug of milk,they should get their lazy butts out there and walk to the store(if possible,my store is about 11 miles away),that would help pare some of the weight off their fat consumer a**es.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 10:40 am

ruveyn wrote:
Consider who ran against Obama. Super-Schmuck, the Magic Mormon.

Public perception of Obama in purple states was not negative enough by the time of the election for any of the 2012 Republican field to win - better the devil you know, and so on. Jon Huntsman might have won another swing state or two but that's it.

But of course (and I'm not particularly addressing you here) Obama being re-elected is not necessarily all that relevant here. Some two-term presidents have fared worse on reflection, or ended up even more unpopular, than many one-term presidents. Consider Nixon and W. Bush.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 11:17 am

zer0netgain wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Kraichgauer wrote:
killed our greatest enemy,

Um, no. The military did that, and there is strong debate that they went ahead without Obama's approval as his administartion denied the mission at least three times before, and Obama was brought in FROM THE GOLF COURSE during the mission...not something the CIC should be doing if there's something this big afoot.

Kraichgauer wrote:
and is overseeing the recovery of our economy.

Um, the fed printing money to keep things from emploding and job losses cumlatively outstripping cumulative job creation is not a recovery.

Kraichgauer wrote:
On top of that, civil rights are expanding for gay Americans

Marriage is not a subject for the federal government to oversee.

Kraichgauer wrote:
and undocumented immigrants under Obama's influence

Oh, you mean people here ILLEGALLY?

Kraichgauer wrote:
and we will see greater health coverage for Americans.

At a greater cost to everyone, less choice and quality, and the IRS having access to your medical records.

Kraichgauer wrote:
I don't see the connection between Obama's and Carter's administrations, outside of right wing propaganda.

You're right. I would vote to re-elect Carter in a heartbeat than let Obama continue as president.

Regardless, Osama Bin Laden is dead, General motors is alive, and things are looking up. That's my story - and the President's - and I'm sticking to it.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 12:56 pm

A photo of the worlds largest solar powered building in Dezhou,Shangdong province,China.
Uh oh,looks like the commies are ahead :lol:

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 1:47 pm

Raptor wrote:
Yes, but until we can actually operate everything on sunshine and love we still need the oil. Even if there were cars that could operate on something other than gasoline for long distances it would take at least 10 years or more to convert almost everyone over to them from their combustion engine cars.

That's just why we should have started. How long have the Swedes and Danes been working on becoming fossil fuel free, and they're close. As it is, we should get going. I'm still waiting for Solana Generating Station to be opened. First it was supposed to be last year, now this year, and it's already June and no news!

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 5:45 pm

persian85033 wrote:
Raptor wrote:

That's just why we should have started. How long have the Swedes and Danes been working on becoming fossil fuel free, and they're close. As it is, we should get going. I'm still waiting for Solana Generating Station to be opened. First it was supposed to be last year, now this year, and it's already June and no news!

Unfortunately, big oil has America by the testicles.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer