You feel more at home in your:-
Country 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Childhood Time period 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 1

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 4:10 am

A recent thread on nostalgia made me consider this, it will be meaningless to anybody under at least 35 as they would probably still be in their time.

Do you feel you belong to a country like your American and you feel you belong in America, or do you feel like you belong more to a time frame like the 1960s and that the world now, regardless of country, feels a totally alien world because all the TV folk you knew have died, all the cars and lorries and aircraft you loved have all gone, replaced by strange things, the music is all wrong and all the people you grew up with and knew seem to have been replaced like in Invasion of the Body Snatchers with foreigners.

Even things like the weather and the lack of birdsong make this country different from the one I felt I belonged too.

Cei
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jul 2013, 4:21 am

What if I feel like I belong in a time period and/or country that I was never in?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 4:27 am

I have no sense of belonging to any country nor to any time period. I've felt misplaced all my life.

Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 8:29 am

I feel a greater sense of belonging to New England than to America. I haven't spent much time outside of New England so I don't know how I could see it any differently. I feel a greater connection to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, Canada, for their geographic and cultural similarities to New England, than I do to distant parts of America. A lot of people would consider me bad and unpatriotic for being more of regionalist than a nationalist, but that's only because I identify more with my family, friends, surroundings, and the life I know, than I do with the federal government. And that goes against all of the propaganda that's been pushed on me and most other people for most of our lives.

As for time period, I'm not that old, so if I wanted to pretend that it's 10 years ago, I wouldn't have a very hard time.