Page 12 of 18 [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 18  Next

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 2:15 pm

Bitoku wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
Bitoku wrote:
Now if you're willing to accept my analysis of free will not having degrees, then here's where my response to your question comes in:
- God does everything with a purpose (he never just does random stuff).
- God chose to create us with free will.
- Since free will is an absolute (doesn't have degrees), God must value free will absolutely.
- Suppressing free will is contradictory to creating it, since it would go against God's own value.
- God is not contradictory.
- Therefore, God will not suppress free will.

So let me ask you a question: Does God approve of the Holocaust, The Gulag, The Great Leap Forward and The Rape of Nanking, or not?
Is the answer 100 percent Yes or 100 percent No?
Since free will is *absolute* by your own claim, there is no middle ground when answering this question... One word reply only, please....

If you're asking me, it would obviously be 100% no, since each of those things pretty much destroyed an enormous amount of free will in their process.

Then why did He not lift His omnipotent eye brow and stopped Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Mao Zedong and Hirohito from being so evil? Does God hold the free will of the agents of genocide in higher regard than the free will of their victims?

Bitoku
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jul 2013, 2:36 pm

GGPViper wrote:
Then why did He not lift His omnipotent eye brow and stopped Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Mao Zedong and Hirohito from being so evil? Does God hold the free will of the agents of genocide in higher regard than the free will of their victims?

Because that would be destroying free will. If we view this as God valuing free will as much as anything else, then it can make sense (though you may still not like it).
The things you mentioned all have one significant aspect in common; they all destroyed or impeded an enormous amount of free will. I'm guessing you intuitively know that that's evil. If God is in a position of absolutely valuing free will, then he won't interfere in any free will. The only way to do this is basically to not interfere in anyone's free will, even if they're suppressing or destroying other people's free will. God won't stoop to their level, I guess you could say.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 2:36 pm

Bitoku wrote:
This would seem different than flipping a coin, because I can state a reason that I had for making my decision. Now in this case you could come back and say "well then that's pre-determined". But it gets harder to argue that in cases where I choose a course of action that goes against my instincts, but I'm choosing it for a specific reason that's more than a coin flip.

Except the problem is that the reason isn't really the reason why that action was taken. You can state it, but it's not the real variable else you would not be able to choose otherwise.

Quote:
This is a little of a side topic, but let me ask you what you personally think about this... if there isn't any such thing as free will (it's all just either random or pre-destined), then is there any point in assigning blame to people?

Err.... sure? Assigning responsibility will deter/encourage others from taking the same path, and it will encourage the person who has done the deed to change in the way that is desired. This is actually pretty well-known.

Quote:
Or would we ultimately have to say that the serial killer was simply pre-destined to kill people based on some sort of past setup (whether experiential or biological)? Note that I recognize we could still say that punishing the serial killer could potentially provide a reason (still pre-destined) that could make someone else choose to not kill when otherwise they would. But even if we assume that assigning punishment is still appropriate within this framework due to this, does it become nonsensical to assign blame (since in my example before regarding the tiger, blame seems to often imply free choice)?

Assigning responsibility causes additional changes that deterrence will not.

That being said, I think the set of human psychological frameworks is actually slightly absurd and an imperfect fit for the reality that we face. So human thinking is often centered on conscious thought, but most of our cognition is unconscious. Human thinking focuses on free will, but the sort of free will we suppose is very implausible in light of the science and rather questionable even philosophically. Human thinking on time holds that there is an objective difference between the past, present, and future but this may not really hold: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativity_of_simultaneity . Human thinking on time ends up finding either direction we take on the matter absurd, as both a first moment of time and an infinite past seem implausible to many.(The beginning of time was described by Kant as an antinomy of reason due to this aspect) Human moral thinking has a tendency to both seek to only blame people for matters under their control(Kant's Principle of Control) AND to blame people for matters outside of their control.(Moral Luck) Human moral thinking tends to portray evil in grand metaphysical terms but further examination suggests evil is banal(Hannah Arrendt's description of Eichmann), and that the kind of evil people are primed to seek is a myth.(Roy Baumeister) Human beings are naturally primed to seek essences to the world, but the world does not tend to work in an essentialist way so much as a statistical way, and human essentialism about disgust is likely at the root of a # of odd reactions, such as how people often find it gross to swallow saliva they spit into a cup.

I mean, sure one data point may seem odd, but the sheer number of data points of human absurdity where human processes seem like crude kludges to solve a problem, but ones that are fundamentally wrong, like disgust intuitions vs germ theory and toxicology, ultimately becomes impressive over time.

Bitoku
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jul 2013, 2:38 pm

aghogday wrote:
Words One's Words describes One in Words
Excellent comment!
I would encourage anyone to go back and read all your comments in this thread.
You has IT going on
Just Mind opinion that is all

Thank you. I unfortunately have to admit that I don't really understand a lot of what you've said in this thread... but I appreciate your comments and participation nonetheless

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 2:44 pm

GGPViper wrote:
Bitoku wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
Bitoku wrote:
Now if you're willing to accept my analysis of free will not having degrees, then here's where my response to your question comes in:
- God does everything with a purpose (he never just does random stuff).
- God chose to create us with free will.
- Since free will is an absolute (doesn't have degrees), God must value free will absolutely.
- Suppressing free will is contradictory to creating it, since it would go against God's own value.
- God is not contradictory.
- Therefore, God will not suppress free will.

So let me ask you a question: Does God approve of the Holocaust, The Gulag, The Great Leap Forward and The Rape of Nanking, or not?
Is the answer 100 percent Yes or 100 percent No?
Since free will is *absolute* by your own claim, there is no middle ground when answering this question... One word reply only, please....

If you're asking me, it would obviously be 100% no, since each of those things pretty much destroyed an enormous amount of free will in their process.

Evil exists mind Only One Exists

Cats Bite cats Man IS Same

ALL Nature IS livE

Judge
Not
One

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Bitoku
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jul 2013, 2:47 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Assigning responsibility causes additional changes that deterrence will not.

Do you think people can really be blamed though? Or is it just a sort of psychological message we put out there to try to deter people from doing bad things? Do you personally feel like a serial killer is responsible for their actions, in so far as they could have possibly chosen to never kill? Or were they merely reacting to cause and effect that they couldn't have broken themselves?

In relation to this, I'm also wondering whether you would consider your personal beliefs to fall along the lines of physicalism/materialism?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 2:47 pm

Bitoku wrote:
You're bringing up a practical criticism to a hypothetical argument. It doesn't really matter what people DO choose, the question here is what CAN they choose.
Free will says people can choose basically anything, even if they never do choose certain things in practice. I could choose to bore a hole into my head with a hand drill, but I most certainly won't. The fact that I won't doesn't automatically mean that I can't, not theoretically at least.

Except that what they DO choose is really the best way to understand how choosing ACTUALLY works. And the weightings of what they will and will not choose are VERY relevant. If we had a world where evil was about the same as boring a hole in your skull with a hand-drill, where it's only a hypothetical choice for most people and one that requires a lot of intermediate steps would still have free will, but it would not have moral evil.

If we model free will as a probability cluster of different human actions, the problem that emerges is why did God design an entity that would commit evil with such high probability instead of one that would do it with a lower probability?

Quote:
You're thinking of it in a human perspective, which is bound by a linear course of events that is locked into linear time. If we assume God isn't bound by time, then we can expand the view of omniscience to include both what is and what is not (from our time-based perspective). If he has full knowledge of both everything that does happen and everything that does not happen, then whether I choose to turn right or left has no bearing on God's knowledge base, and therefore isn't a threat to his omniscience, even if I have full free will in making it.
In other words, God knows that I will turn right, and knows everything involved as a cause and effect of me turning right. God also knows that I will turn left, and knows everything involved as a cause and effect of me turning left. These sentences may seem contradictory, but only from a time-locked perspective where only one course of events can exist.

No, I am thinking of it from a process perspective. Linear time or no doesn't actually matter, and as I pointed out earlier, there are reasons to suspect that the workings of time in this universe aren't actually linear.

Even further, your example is contradictory. So, this set of facts just won't work:
At time X bitoku will turn right
At time X bitoku will turn left
Turning right and turning left are mutually exclusive acts

Now note, nothing about that phrasing seems wrong. I didn't focus on linearity, only upon time existing as a dimension. Now, the issue is that if you deny that something like "time X" exists, even as a proper phrase, you're going to have to reinvent a lot of language, a lot more language than I think is worth talking about in this case. (Also, if you want to criticize "time X" in light of simultaneity, we could describe it at "space-time point X" and the same logic will be sustained.)

And of course, these kinds of concerns come in ALL OF THE TIME, when we start having to really think that God is involved in prophecy. They come in ALL OF THE TIME when we start talking about a divine plan. For God to divinely plan out things, and to have prophecies that will actually come true, he has to know control the counter-factuals and prevent certain freely chosen acts from occurring. That's an issue, because if God exercises full control over the course of history, then as a matter of agency, we won't really have independent agency from God's plan.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 2:54 pm

Bitoku wrote:
Do you think people can really be blamed though? Or is it just a sort of psychological message we put out there to try to deter people from doing bad things? Do you personally feel like a serial killer is responsible for their actions, in so far as they could have possibly chosen to never kill? Or were they merely reacting to cause and effect that they couldn't have broken themselves?

It's a psychological message. The actions of a serial killer precede them, they precede their own consciousness of the decision, and they generally are going to be the results of either a broken brain or a broken situation.

Quote:
In relation to this, I'm also wondering whether you would consider your personal beliefs to fall along the lines of physicalism/materialism?

I'm a physicalist/materialist. There is no reason at this point to presume that any neuron has a ghost trailing it and guiding it. And if these neurons do have these ghosts then there are so many physical realities that should create utterly confusing spiritual realities.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFJPtVRlI64[/youtube]
So, in the case of this split brain patient, did their soul split allowing them to make different choices? I mean, the problem that emerges is that we start having to create some really absurd theory about spiritual beings to accommodate this well-established empirical reality.

How about in this case:
http://psych.utoronto.ca/users/peterson ... 201996.pdf

Is the soul damaged because these people can no longer actually change their minds in response to new evidence?

I mean, the problem that emerges in both cases(and many more) is that we have these realities that are not well explained spiritually, but where the physical reality and neuroscience all adds up. If I'm not willing to go along with a ghost in the machine, and that this ghost say splits with a split brain patient or something else, then I should reject any theory of the world that requires this kind of ghost.

Bitoku
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jul 2013, 2:58 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Except that what they DO choose is really the best way to understand how choosing ACTUALLY works. And the weightings of what they will and will not choose are VERY relevant. If we had a world where evil was about the same as boring a hole in your skull with a hand-drill, where it's only a hypothetical choice for most people and one that requires a lot of intermediate steps would still have free will, but it would not have moral evil.
If we model free will as a probability cluster of different human actions, the problem that emerges is why did God design an entity that would commit evil with such high probability instead of one that would do it with a lower probability?

What probability do you think people have of committing evil?

Quote:
No, I am thinking of it from a process perspective. Linear time or no doesn't actually matter, and as I pointed out earlier, there are reasons to suspect that the workings of time in this universe aren't actually linear.
Even further, your example is contradictory. So, this set of facts just won't work:
At time X bitoku will turn right
At time X bitoku will turn left
Turning right and turning left are mutually exclusive acts
Now note, nothing about that phrasing seems wrong. I didn't focus on linearity, only upon time existing as a dimension.

But for God it might not. Therefore, while your points are valid from a human time-based perspective, they might not really be relevant to God's perspective. And God might not have the inaccurate one. As you yourself have admitted, human time perspective seems questionable. So we might actually be faulty for even using "At time X".

Quote:
Now, the issue is that if you deny that something like "time X" exists, even as a proper phrase, you're going to have to reinvent a lot of language, a lot more language than I think is worth talking about in this case. (Also, if you want to criticize "time X" in light of simultaneity, we could describe it at "space-time point X" and the same logic will be sustained.)

It would still be relevant from a human perspective of time to use the term, because that's how we see things. But I'm suggesting it might not make sense when talking about God's perspective.

Quote:
And of course, these kinds of concerns come in ALL OF THE TIME, when we start having to really think that God is involved in prophecy. They come in ALL OF THE TIME when we start talking about a divine plan. For God to divinely plan out things, and to have prophecies that will actually come true, he has to know control the counter-factuals and prevent certain freely chosen acts from occurring. That's an issue, because if God exercises full control over the course of history, then as a matter of agency, we won't really have independent agency from God's plan.

Personally I'm not really sure I believe that God's control over the universe is as precise as you're suggesting. I think it's best to think that God set things in motion, and many physicalist things still happen according to how he set them up ("His Plan"), but that the human aspect of free will allows us to affect how some things will progress as well.

Bitoku
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jul 2013, 3:04 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
So, in the case of this split brain patient, did their soul split allowing them to make different choices? I mean, the problem that emerges is that we start having to create some really absurd theory about spiritual beings to accommodate this well-established empirical reality.
How about in this case:
http://psych.utoronto.ca/users/peterson ... 201996.pdf
Is the soul damaged because these people can no longer actually change their minds in response to new evidence?
I mean, the problem that emerges in both cases(and many more) is that we have these realities that are not well explained spiritually, but where the physical reality and neuroscience all adds up. If I'm not willing to go along with a ghost in the machine, and that this ghost say splits with a split brain patient or something else, then I should reject any theory of the world that requires this kind of ghost.

What it mainly shows is that our free will can be impeded by a malformed or damaged brain. This is something I already mentioned many posts ago though. And I think it makes sense if we consider our brain to sort of be a necessary "conduit" between the physical universe and something non-physical (a "spirit", "soul", "essence", or whatever). It would easily explain why we can't interact with the physical world without our brain being operational. It would also explain why people can't be resurrected, which personally I think should be theoretically easier in a physicalist universe than a non-physicalist one.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 3:26 pm

Bitoku wrote:
What it mainly shows is that our free will can be impeded by a malformed or damaged brain.

It's not our free will, though. It's the free will of that entity that's dreaming you and me and everyone here. Trust me on this.

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 3:35 pm

MCalavera wrote:
Bitoku wrote:
What it mainly shows is that our free will can be impeded by a malformed or damaged brain.

It's not our free will, though. It's the free will of that entity that's dreaming you and me and everyone here. Trust me on this.

Isn't that the Islamic view of free will?

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 3:54 pm

Words
Express
Universe

flows

both
Ways

LIVE
IS
ALL
IS
LIVE

Words
Express
Universe

flows

both
Ways

Silly
bees
dreams
silly dreams
Hive EvIL One

LIve IS
ALL

Silly
men
dreams
silly dreams
Hurricane Evil One

Change IS ALL

Good and Evil
Construct
Human
Mind

Dealing
Fear

LIVE
IS
ALL
IS
LIVE

Words
Express
Universe

flows

both
Ways

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Last edited by aghogday on 22 Jul 2013, 4:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 3:57 pm

TheValk wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
Bitoku wrote:

Isn't that the Islamic view of free will?

Maybe, but my point was to show him just how absurd it is to brush away the simplest explanation that fits the evidence very well and replace with a crap argument.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 4:29 pm

Bitoku wrote:
What probability do you think people have of committing evil?

I don't quite agree with your premise given that I don't think that willful evil explains very much at all, but within Christian assumptions(where willful evil is much more important) it seems MUCH MUCH higher than the probability they will drill a hole in their head with a hand drill.

Quote:
But for God it might not. Therefore, while your points are valid from a human time-based perspective, they might not really be relevant to God's perspective. And God might not have the inaccurate one. As you yourself have admitted, human time perspective seems questionable. So we might actually be faulty for even using "At time X".

No, no it doesn't matter. I already gave you that even admitting the problems of simultaneity an external world can still have facts about it. That's really what the question is about, and the external world cannot have contradictory facts about it, because contradictory things cannot be facts.

So, "God's perspective" still can't translate into facts about reality that have contradictions, period.

Quote:
It would still be relevant from a human perspective of time to use the term, because that's how we see things. But I'm suggesting it might not make sense when talking about God's perspective.

Yes, and your point is utterly absurd. You may as well try to suspend the laws of logic over it.

Quote:
Personally I'm not really sure I believe that God's control over the universe is as precise as you're suggesting. I think it's best to think that God set things in motion, and many physicalist things still happen according to how he set them up ("His Plan"), but that the human aspect of free will allows us to affect how some things will progress as well.

Well, it has to be for prophecy to work though. Because any prophecy can be thrown off by the figurative flappings of a butterfly.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 4:34 pm

Bitoku wrote:
What it mainly shows is that our free will can be impeded by a malformed or damaged brain. This is something I already mentioned many posts ago though. And I think it makes sense if we consider our brain to sort of be a necessary "conduit" between the physical universe and something non-physical (a "spirit", "soul", "essence", or whatever). It would easily explain why we can't interact with the physical world without our brain being operational. It would also explain why people can't be resurrected, which personally I think should be theoretically easier in a physicalist universe than a non-physicalist one.

I apologize, but.... the "impeded model" does not work for the split brain patient. The split brain patient seems to make decisions, it's just that the decisions between the two halves of the body can vary. It's also an ad hoc model when we have to deal with other sorts of strange neurological behavior. I also don't think it makes sense, as the "conduit" idea is an ad hoc speculation to maintain a metaphysical dogma that does not hold up in light of any data or support any data.

..... errr, what? People can't be resurrected in a physicalist universe for very obvious reasons. I don't know what kind of world you live in where non-resurrection is something that has to be explained.

Last edited by Awesomelyglorious on 22 Jul 2013, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.