Page 14 of 18 [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2013, 2:36 am

That is just a thank you for putting up with me.
Or maybe more than that. :)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2013, 4:47 am

Bitoku wrote:
And I think it makes sense if we consider our brain to sort of be a necessary "conduit" between the physical universe and something non-physical (a "spirit", "soul", "essence", or whatever). It would easily explain why we can't interact with the physical world without our brain being operational. It would also explain why people can't be resurrected, which personally I think should be theoretically easier in a physicalist universe than a non-physicalist one.

How do you suppose the physical brain interacts with the soul? There is not a shred of scientific evidence that matter in the brain behave different from those ouside. Moreover, it seems our brain never recieve signal from other people wrongly. How do you explain that?

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 12:18 pm

aghogday wrote:
I'm just trying to stretch the boundaries here a little. Move into the realm of imagination. It's a part of God's plan. Or whatever you want to call the IS.

Yeah, maybe don't stretch the boundaries so much, it makes you seem insane.

Bitoku
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jul 2013, 5:31 pm

01001011 wrote:
Bitoku wrote:
And I think it makes sense if we consider our brain to sort of be a necessary "conduit" between the physical universe and something non-physical (a "spirit", "soul", "essence", or whatever). It would easily explain why we can't interact with the physical world without our brain being operational. It would also explain why people can't be resurrected, which personally I think should be theoretically easier in a physicalist universe than a non-physicalist one.

How do you suppose the physical brain interacts with the soul? There is not a shred of scientific evidence that matter in the brain behave different from those ouside. Moreover, it seems our brain never recieve signal from other people wrongly. How do you explain that?

Sorry, I don't really understand what exactly you're asking here... would you be able to rephrase it?

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 12:32 am

How does the physical interact with the spiritual is what I think he's asking.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 12:42 am

AspE wrote:
aghogday wrote:
I'm just trying to stretch the boundaries here a little. Move into the realm of imagination. It's a part of God's plan. Or whatever you want to call the IS.

Yeah, maybe don't stretch the boundaries so much, it makes you seem insane.

Thanks for dropping by AspE. Read this and make another diagnosis please. :)

You can skip the first cryptic part, but the fun part comes at the end. 'Trust me' you'll laugh. I can be a cosmic comedian too. hehe!

REVELATION 66 PART II

http://katiemiaaghogday.blogspot.com/20 ... on-66.html

Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 7:38 am

MCalavera wrote:
How does the physical interact with the spiritual is what I think he's asking.

Yes. Give us a falsifiable theory of how does the physical interact with the spiritual and evidence supporting it.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 9:28 am

I'm happy enough just to see an explanation - with or without evidence.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 10:51 pm

MCalavera wrote:
I'm happy enough just to see an explanation - with or without evidence.

Amen

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 9:32 am

truth15ful wrote:
Hi everyone,
There are a lot of misconceptions about religion and especially about Christianity. I'd like to see if I can set the record straight. So this thread is for you guys to post any problems or objections to Christianity, and I'll try to answer them the best I can.

Paul's doctrines are the main source of the nastiness and absurdity of Christianity. I don't see how both God and Paul could exist.

Bitoku
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jul 2013, 5:42 pm

01001011 wrote:
Yes. Give us a falsifiable theory of how does the physical interact with the spiritual and evidence supporting it.

Are you asking for a scientific explanation? Because by definition science only applies to the physical universe...

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 5:50 pm

Bitoku wrote:
Are you asking for a scientific explanation? Because by definition science only applies to the physical universe...

Oh, whether science only applies to the physical universe is a debatable proposition. Some do argue for intrinsic methodological naturalism, but people who hold to pragmatic methodological naturalism will disagree with the definitional claim.

That being said, he is certainly looking for you to explain how your ideas make sense in the actual world in a way where you aren't just engaging in pure terminological play.

Bitoku
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jul 2013, 5:56 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Oh, whether science only applies to the physical universe is a debatable proposition. Some do argue for intrinsic methodological naturalism, but people who hold to pragmatic methodological naturalism will disagree with the definitional claim.
That being said, he is certainly looking for you to explain how your ideas make sense in the actual world in a way where you aren't just engaging in pure terminological play.

I just wanted to point out how it isn't applicable to expect a physical scientific explanation for something non-physical.

Having said that, my explanation of it would be that our physical brain is influenced by the non-physical aspect of our identity (call it spirit, soul, or whatever). Our brain then operates to control our purely physical body. So basically the brain would be acting as a necessary transmitter between the non-physical (spirit) and physical (body) aspects of ourselves.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 7:42 pm

Bitoku wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:

I just wanted to point out how it isn't applicable to expect a physical scientific explanation for something non-physical.

Having said that, my explanation of it would be that our physical brain is influenced by the non-physical aspect of our identity (call it spirit, soul, or whatever). Our brain then operates to control our purely physical body. So basically the brain would be acting as a necessary transmitter between the non-physical (spirit) and physical (body) aspects of ourselves.

The entire Cosmos is physical right down to the subatomic level.

Our non-material illusions are produced by neurons in our brains.

ruveyn

Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 8:20 pm

Bitoku wrote:

What do you mean by 'influence'? Are you saying that even the brain is physical, the effect of the soul on the brain cannot be measured by scientific method?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 9:41 pm

Bitoku wrote:

You really only gave an assertion though based upon the assumption that science is intrinsically methodologically naturalistic. I don't have to agree that science actually IS intrinsically methodologically naturalistic though, and causal models including issues of falsifiability don't intrinsically require that they are applied to physical or non-physical things.

In any causal model though, binary's not out of his right to want something like a scientific model. It's entirely reasonable for him to ask how this idea fits into the scientific realities we are aware of and how this idea is a necessary one to explain certain cognitive functions. Also, it's entirely reasonable for him to wonder what additional findings about the world may end up making your metaphysical assertion seem like a questionable affair. As if we're talking about the empirical workings of the brain, then as a matter of empirics it seems like naturalism could still logically be a contender, or at least your model of non-physical interaction be shown highly doubtful.

Quote:

What does "influenced" mean in this case? How does "influence" work? How does the communication between both sides work? I mean, it's questionable to say "Oh, magic stuff does this!" because you're vague on everything. How does it work? Why does it work this way? Is it required by Occam's razor?